DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid: Backed over M2Z with my car.

DJI did sell parts for at least some of its models, but not all parts and prices were considerably more than what they charge for the parts in a repair.

Anyway, I had planned to save my refresh even if the repair is higher. Only if it was way higher, say more than $500 would I take the refresh option.

What's funny is their form letter on the quote. It essentially said "we're sorry but we can't cover this under warranty", as if I expected it.

Well, that's probably what they expect these days from their customers.

I just realized they snuck in, just about forcing me into refresh.
With the quoted parts and labor, I should have been charged $233.

If I wanted to go with the refresh route I would have selected express.

Now I bet the return will be unduly delayed to unravel this mess.

I'm really frustrated with DJI. The invoice was somewhat deceptive with no indication of how to opt for a repair rather than a refresh.
The invoice individually listed cost of parts and labor but the invoice total was the refresh price. Only in the generic text did it mention paying the invoice would constitute a refresh but no instructions if you wanted a repair instead. Realizing several hours later the total didn't add up to the total for parts and labor, I replied by email to [email protected] which is the address that was listed in "how to contact us if you have any questions" To this day I did not receive a reply to that email.

I complained on the forum so eventually a DJI manager called me. He called me twice on my home phone, left no callback number or means of contacting him back, practically saying I needed to wait by my phone until he called back.
He sent me an email after his 2nd voicemail call but the sender/reply address was the generic support email address. The phone number registered on the caller-id and a different number in his signature led to the customer service main number. Menu had no option to reach him or any other specific human.

I stayed home today only because I'm expecting the return shipment today and I am owed comp time at work. Otherwise I would have had no way of getting back in touch with him. He said he contacted HQ and said well I paid the invoice and didn't contact them so that's that. "We can't do anything" No, you WON'T do anything. I can think of at least two options you CAN do:

Best option: I pay the difference between the refresh and repair, perhaps a bit more, and they credit me back my refresh. This should work since only 4 arms and body need replacing (and the back legs looked to only have cosmetic damage)
Not as good option: Pay the difference, return the refresh and they'll fix my original M2.

If you don't do EXACTLY what DJI wants/expects, they are clueless. As long as you follow them exactly, then they are pretty good.

One other flaw I found with them. They sent an email that they have a 10% discount on Care+, good until Oct 31. At least the subject says Oct 31, the body says November 5th.

Here's the invoice email I received. All subsequent emails on the case indicated REPAIR, not replacement such as
"Regarding case No xxxxx has been repaired"
and
"Regarding case No xxxx has been tested and shipped"

Dear Customer,
You repair service of Mavic 2 Zoom has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.
Invoice
Customer:
<me>
Case No:
xxxxxxxx
Use Service Type:
DJI Care Refresh
Quote Date:
10-17-18
Remarks:
Dear Customer After carrying out the damage assessment, we found Top shell damaged; Central frame damaged; Aircraft motor arm damaged. Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (After-Sales Service Policies - DJI) The system found that you have purchased DJI Care Refresh. If you want to use this service, please click the payment link. We will replace your product after the payment is complete. The newly released DJI Care Refresh + provides one more opportunity to replace your drone and extends the warranty repair service for one-year, offering comprehensive protection for your flight. For more details: Buy DJI Care Refresh + - DJI Store

Item
Quantity
Unit Price(USD)
Total Price(USD)
Front Arm Module (Left)
Rear Arm Module (Left)
Middle Frame Module
Front Arm Module (Right)
Rear Arm Module (Right)
Repair Service Fee
65.00/H

Freight:

Total Amount:

Total Payment:

Payment by : Payment Links

Please make sure the Case No. is included in your Payment Information when completing your transaction.
This is an automated message. Any replies to this message will not be monitored.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: Online Support

Thank you for choosing DJI

Best Regards,
DJI Support

Last edited:
One more thing; manager admitted that even if I didn't' select Care but rather Repair when i first submitted my case, they would have picked up on the S/N that it had Care bound to it.
And the back two arms only seemed to have cosmetic damage, so I don't think they needed replacement. But for under $50, I would have been OK with that. I wasn't sure about the back left leg, seemed a bit looser.

Here's the email about the Care+ discount:

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 10:03 AM
To: <me>
Subject: Get 10% off DJI Care Refresh +! (Only till October 31st)

Dear Customer,

DJI Care Refresh is Easier than Ever: You can now enjoy DJI Care Refresh + with 10% off, but only until November 5th.

Join DJI Care Refresh + now to get one more replacement and at least 12-months of extended warranty. Fly without worrying about water damage, flight accidents, or malfunctions.

*The product’s extended warranty period is based on the purchase date of DJI Care Refresh + and the warranty of the product or components.​

One more thing; manager admitted that even if I didn't' select Care but rather Repair when i first submitted my case, they would have picked up on the S/N that it had Care bound to it.
And the back two arms only seemed to have cosmetic damage, so I don't think they needed replacement. But for under $50, I would have been OK with that. I wasn't sure about the back left leg, seemed a bit looser.

Here's the email about the Care+ discount:

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 10:03 AM
To: <me>
Subject: Get 10% off DJI Care Refresh +! (Only till October 31st)

Dear Customer,

DJI Care Refresh is Easier than Ever: You can now enjoy DJI Care Refresh + with 10% off, but only until November 5th.

Join DJI Care Refresh + now to get one more replacement and at least 12-months of extended warranty. Fly without worrying about water damage, flight accidents, or malfunctions.

*The product’s extended warranty period is based on the purchase date of DJI Care Refresh + and the warranty of the product or components.​

Geez, thanks for reminding me to order care refresh+. I almost missed the deal!

I agree that it sounds like there was some miscommunication and I also agree that they just ASSume that you'd want to take the least expensive option and that you'd want your drone to be completely repaired. I don't think they operate in an in between culture. Completely fixed or not fixed. I'm honestly not sticking up for DJI but I do service work and I've walked away from customers that want me to do half the job. Just take into account that if they only partially repair your drone, the rear leg falls off, it goes crazy and smacks some kid in the face, who's liable? You? Trust me I've been to court and argued the "cheap customer" stand point...it didn't work because I was the "professional" that knew better. If I quote you a repair and you only want half of it done, you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

Maybe I'm stupid, but you pay them $119 now and buy DJI Care Refresh+ for $106, that's $225 total. Now you have almost two years of warranty and 2 more replacements. Just a thought.

I wasn't really quibbling about the back legs, though if I was questioning it, I'd only want to know what damage was there beyond cosmetic.

My gripe was about the forced refresh.
They actually replaced the remote for their $2 rather than send mine back fixed. If they did that for the the remote, there's no reason they couldn't charge me the difference for fixing the AC and credit me one refresh.

By the way, care+ doesn't kick in until the original care expires. You can't use that third refresh until care+ kicks in. So if you use up your 2 frefreshes now, you have to wait until next year for a third. At least the warranty is extended for 2 years.

I wasn't really quibbling about the back legs, though if I was questioning it, I'd only want to know what damage was there beyond cosmetic.

My gripe was about the forced refresh.
They actually replaced the remote for their $2 rather than send mine back fixed. If they did that for the the remote, there's no reason they couldn't charge me the difference for fixing the AC and credit me one refresh.

By the way, care+ doesn't kick in until the original care expires. You can't use that third refresh until care+ kicks in. So if you use up your 2 frefreshes now, you have to wait until next year for a third. At least the warranty is extended for 2 years.

Hmmm, I'm not sure so I'll take your word for that. It makes sense though. Well, the reason is they don't want to. I'm not saying you're wrong at all. You're absolutely free to believe they should do whatever at any time. I also agree that they should have been more clear with you. It's probably obvious to you now in hindsight though... I'm not sure why you're rather save your Refreshes and pay more now on the possibility you may crash later but it should be your call obviously.

I crashed my MP after having it for a few weeks and they replaced it. After that, hundreds of flights later, no problems ever again. Not even a broken prop. It's hard to say but you may look back on this and appreciate the replacement... just saying.

Under Care Refresh+ FAQ in DJI site:
5、Can I use DJI Care Refresh +’s replacement service if my product has been replaced twice under DJI Care Refresh, but my DJI Care Refresh + has not taken effect yet?

No. DJI Care Refresh +’s replacement service can only be used within the coverage period, and cannot be used in advance or used after it expires.

I found out they hadn't transferred my Refresh agreement to the S/Ns of the replacement AC/Gimbal they sent me, so I probably can't purchase Refresh+ until they fix that.
8、I have purchased DJI Care Refresh +, do I need to bind it to my product?

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh + separately on DJI’s Online Store, you need to enter the serial number of your product on the prompt page.

Now why I wanted to pay for a repair rather than a refresh:
1. only had the unit for a month, and refresh less than that (they extended the availability due to app error). I still have around 11 months to go and otherwise with only one refresh left. Lots could happen in 11 months.
2. All things considered, damage wasn't too bad. Electronics and gimbal were OK, which are the most expensive parts. Labor was a bit high, but considering the body had to be replaced, 2 hours is expected. If I had crushed the gimbal along with the arms and body and/or broken one of the main boards, that would have been a different matter. That could easily happen after a fall from a high altitude after a bird strike.

They tend to send new/refurbished units during repairs anyway so they would have been better off accommodating me. They at least did with the remote, though it only had a broken antenna which they charged me $2 since remotes aren't covered under refresh.

I think I mixed up the S/Ns when I went to check on the refresh <egg on face>. That or they fixed the problem right after i sent the support request.
I purchased Refresh+. Not only did I get the discount, but also a couple bucks online credit.

Under Care Refresh+ FAQ in DJI site:
5、Can I use DJI Care Refresh +’s replacement service if my product has been replaced twice under DJI Care Refresh, but my DJI Care Refresh + has not taken effect yet?

No. DJI Care Refresh +’s replacement service can only be used within the coverage period, and cannot be used in advance or used after it expires.

I found out they hadn't transferred my Refresh agreement to the S/Ns of the replacement AC/Gimbal they sent me, so I probably can't purchase Refresh+ until they fix that.
8、I have purchased DJI Care Refresh +, do I need to bind it to my product?

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh + separately on DJI’s Online Store, you need to enter the serial number of your product on the prompt page.

Now why I wanted to pay for a repair rather than a refresh:
1. only had the unit for a month, and refresh less than that (they extended the availability due to app error). I still have around 11 months to go and otherwise with only one refresh left. Lots could happen in 11 months.
2. All things considered, damage wasn't too bad. Electronics and gimbal were OK, which are the most expensive parts. Labor was a bit high, but considering the body had to be replaced, 2 hours is expected. If I had crushed the gimbal along with the arms and body and/or broken one of the main boards, that would have been a different matter. That could easily happen after a fall from a high altitude after a bird strike.

They tend to send new/refurbished units during repairs anyway so they would have been better off accommodating me. They at least did with the remote, though it only had a broken antenna which they charged me $2 since remotes aren't covered under refresh.

Well, I hope you don't think that I was attacking you or whatever, I'm actually kind of a curious person. I'm betting that you'd get a new one because of the newness of the drone. I completely understand that you believe that the damage wasn't that bad but I'd rather have a new one, just in case there's damage that you can't see. In any case, I'm sorry that they treated you unfairly but it sounds like you got a new remote for $2 and that repair sounds reasonable in price.

No problem. I get it. We all can misinterpret things or unintentionally operate on hearsay so it's good to objectively question and ask for verification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada