DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid firmware update caused me the mav to crash this morning!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just learning to fly real aircraft. 19 hours now. Before each flight. Checkoff list is required.
Sounds like that might be a good idea
Before take off. Your own check list
well heck yea because YOU ARE INSIDE not holding a controller. :D

Reactions: misskimo
Good question. Not near app at present but from memory I think its under the main drone menu or advanced. cant see it in manual.

Wow is it just me or are the posts getting harsher and harsher!
I agree with the OP, I see no reason for the settings to be lost after a firmware update. Even Cell Phones which is what the core of the Mavic is, do not lose their settings when you update them.

Secondly why does it default to a in flight CSC? It seems to be the more dangerous of the two options. The default should be CSC only in emergency.

Rob

It's all good and well to wish that something were so (my various rants on GPS, HDG display, etc.).

But as we know, even if the f/w//s/w updates were supposed to work w/o changing settings, it would never be wise to depend on them not being changed.

Were we really, really, really serious about all this we would run a detailed checklist "the night before" (technical readiness/safety) as well as pre-flight checklists for every flight (or at least session).

I do pre-day checks as well as pre-flight checks. I'd like to claim I use a detailed checklist (I've written one) but that would be an exaggeration. But I do a full airplane check the night before to be sure the bird in the bag is ready to fly the way I expect it to.

DJI could provide a "backup" facility so that all of the settings on the bird are copied to the app. That would be nice. But one would still need to verify them.

It's all good and well to wish that something were so (my various rants on GPS, HDG display, etc.).

But as we know, even if the f/w//s/w updates were supposed to work w/o changing settings, it would never be wise to depend on them not being changed.

Were we really, really, really serious about all this we would run a detailed checklist "the night before" (technical readiness/safety) as well as pre-flight checklists for every flight (or at least session).

I do pre-day checks as well as pre-flight checks. I'd like to claim I use a detailed checklist (I've written one) but that would be an exaggeration. But I do a full airplane check the night before to be sure the bird in the bag is ready to fly the way I expect it to.

DJI could provide a "backup" facility so that all of the settings on the bird are copied to the app. That would be nice. But one would still need to verify them.

Same here Alan I always go in the night before and check all the settings. I rarely do it at the airfield because I typically have too many things happening. At home I can calmly double check everything and make sure it's right. The only change I might make before flying is the RTH altitude depending on what direction I end up heading.

Rob

Reactions: AyeYo
My posts are not to harp on the lack of planning or forethought by the OP. On the contrary I want to help prepare him for the harsh reality that is DJI Warranty claims. They are very experienced with finding ways to not cover a claim and checking the flight data is commonplace activity for them.

I totally agree with him in that such a devastating setting which is the CSC command should (in some way) be avoided from a reset condition due to a firmware upgrade (or downgrade for that matter).

The DJI GO App should not allow one to operate the Mavic or other DJI Drone after a firmware upgrade and simply present a popup that one needs to click that forces them into the most crucial portion of the flight controls (CSC for example) . They do it with Restricted Airspace with check boxes that you must click for different classifications of airspace so at a mnimum they should force this setting to be viewed before flight is allowed. Same with RTH height.

Too many new and inexperienced pilots are going to be caught off guard by these settings.

It wont be 1000 dollars out the window. Typically they can repair them in the 2-400 dollar range.

I wont comment on the Rice Rocket(s) that I own or ride (however tempted I may be) as this is really not a p enis measuring thread.

Guys you are badasses I get it as I used to be of that mindset. I personally would rather you hang around here with us and chat about the Mavic and other great posting topics. I can no longer allow myself to ride like I am invincible.

Same here Alan I always go in the night before and check all the settings. I rarely do it at the airfield because I typically have too many things happening. At home I can calmly double check everything and make sure it's right. The only change I might make before flying is the RTH altitude depending on what direction I end up heading.

Rob

Doing this is the logical course of action. Some people think that it's better to just wing it, because that's more cool or badass. It's kind of like saying it's more badass to not check your tire pressures and oil level before a track day. Or to say that flying your $1000 photography drone like it's a 250 race quad is "real living"... like taking a mountain bike down a paved descent and trying to keep up with road bikes at 50mph because that's "real living". Buying appropriate equipment would be faking living I guess. That's all well and good and people are free to do as they choose, but it's hilarious to watch people with that mentality come here and cry when something goes wrong that would have been 100% preventable if they had a more mature attitude.

Reactions: voongnz and Alabast
This doesn't so much apply to this thread...
And it's not critical, but it might be helpful if the update details were listed in the OP's 1st post. That helps viewers of the thread be able to compare to what they use.
-Firmware Version
-ios or android
-device used to host app

An example could look like:
FW- 1.3.5
ios
mini 4

Last edited:
How do you turn this emergency stop off?
i don't why nobody is answering you. I swear it's like people are pissed that they read the manual and others didn't. I don't know what they have going on in their lives but I don't have time to read a dang manual from cover to cover. I use youtube to get the readers digest version.

Anyway Robin the setting is in advance settings for the drone I believe. But even there it is very confusing the way they word it. IT's like a dang liberal lawyer wrote it.

Haha, i was looking at disabling this today and got confused also.

Looking at this thread and seeing the comments makes me think no one knows lol

Why did they not just put 'toggle sticks to cut motors' on or bloomin off!!??

That is not helpful !
It is. Maybe not in the short term, but in the long term yes. If you don't delve into it and understand the settings now and expect to be spoon-fed instead you WILL end up crashing at some point becasue you missed or didn't check something.

You HAVE to know what settings there are and what they do. It would take a special kind not to find out what this setting does when going over it, so you really don't need someone to tell you that.

If when going through settings there are some you don't understand even after trying to search then ask for clarification and people will be happy to help since you'll be doing things right.

Last edited:
Reactions: voongnz and AyeYo
How do you turn this emergency stop off?

Haha, i was looking at disabling this today and got confused also.

Looking at this thread and seeing the comments makes me think no one knows lol

Why did they not just put 'toggle sticks to cut motors' on or bloomin off!!??
it is confusing I didn't know if I did it right or not. So I would do the manuever low for a while to check it. STupid stupid stupid setting should be eliminated on the next firmware upgrade.

I have cleaned this thread up a bit. Here are a few observations...
  • be nice to your fellow members, remember that is one of our paramount rules.
  • this is not the place for political opinions or off topic talk. There is an off topic are on the forum for talk that is not related to RC aircraft, please contain it to those areas.
  • CSC has been around as long as RC aircraft. It is for emergency use and it is nearly impossible to preform this action by accident flying a camera drone.
  • firmware does wipe out the old and install a new version with default settings. It is up to you to reset your preferences. A checklist is something many fliers should be using. You are responsible for every flight, be sure you know how your aircraft operate before using it.
  • The Mavic, nor any other camera drone is designed to fly like a purpose built racing/sport UAV. They are designed for smooth flight to capture images.
  • the manual is a goldmine of information. Someone mentioned the manual skips over stuff, no, not really. I found what you were mentioning there just now - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 4.38.11 PM✨.png

So lets keep this on topic and real friendly like OK?

5fa54b2342a73f50c6f3323e5a539e78.gif

Wow is it just me or are the posts getting harsher and harsher!
I agree with the OP, I see no reason for the settings to be lost after a firmware update. Even Cell Phones which is what the core of the Mavic is, do not lose their settings when you update them.

Secondly why does it default to a in flight CSC? It seems to be the more dangerous of the two options. The default should be CSC only in emergency.

Rob
It doesn't though, I have that checked and it didn't change after last firmware.
In fact I suspect the default is not to stop motors in flight unless obstruction (crash) is detected.

The RTH altitude and range/height limits revert to default, also any changes you made to gain etc need re-doing.

This thread over at Phantom Pilots indicates that one CANNOT disable the CSC stick maneuver

How to disable Control Stick Command for Stopping The Motors

It does list a hardware solution which is just a small 3 D printed flat rectangle that fits over the right stick of a Phantom Remote Controller that disallows one from pulling the right stick all the way inwards and down. Thereby nullifying the ability to inadvertent perform a CSC.

Will it fit the Mavic Pro Remote Controller and perform as advertised. - Unknown without testing.

So yes nobody in thread knows how to do this as it appears one cannot disable this "feature" entirely.

I .
  • CSC has been around as long as RC aircraft. It is for emergency use and it is nearly impossible to preform this action by accident flying a camera drone.
  • first I am sorry for some of my posts but I felt like I was getting attacked for no reason. While it's been around for a while doesn't make it a good thing. I think their should be a cover over a stop engine button for emergency stops.
  • The Mavic, nor any other camera drone is designed to fly like a purpose built racing/sport UAV. They are designed for smooth flight to capture images.
    the why do they have a sport mode? I mean can it not handle sharp manuevers? Seems like it does fine to me.
lets keep this on topic and real friendly like OK?
I have no problem with that.

5fa54b2342a73f50c6f3323e5a539e78.gif
[/QUOTE]

This thread over at Phantom Pilots indicates that one CANNOT disable the CSC stick maneuver

How to disable Control Stick Command for Stopping The Motors

It does list a hardware solution which is just a small 3 D printed flat rectangle that fits over the right stick of a Phantom Remote Controller that disallows one from pulling the right stick all the way inwards and down. Thereby nullifying the ability to inadvertent perform a CSC.

Will it fit the Mavic Pro Remote Controller and perform as advertised. - Unknown without testing.

So yes nobody in thread knows how to do this as it appears one cannot disable this "feature" entirely.
the factory needs to do away with it either with a firmware update or when the new mav is released. It is a retarded stupid feature that needs to be done away with. LIke I said the DJI service rep said they get lots of complaints about it.

Robby is absolutely correct. It's just plain lazy programming. At a bare minimum they should pop up a warning to check settings but it's not all that hard to keep the existing settings. If a feature was added or removed that would affect a setting that could trigger a pop-up notification.

I fly a Hubsan 501s for my fun flying and it sport mode it will hum. The smaller drone prices are a lot easier to swallow when you crash them. Plus they aren't so technical that you can do most repairs yourself. I have 8 drones with my Mav being my baby I covet strongly. Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic