DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question about Airspace

For up-to-date airspace info, I go to skyvector.com. It has aeronautical charts for anywhere in the country. It's also a good site to just spend time studying all the little details on the chart and know what they mean. If you ever take your Part 107 test, you'll need to know how to read these charts.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with using SkyVector. While it's certainly a good place to check the aviation charts, it's virtually useless for UAS operations.

First, no chart is going to be accurate enough if you're flying near the edge of an airspace. They were never designed for ground use. Without the ability to input an address, at best you can only tell if you're further away than the edges.

Second, no chart source will tell if that airspace is LAANC active, where to get approval if it is, and what AGL you're allowed to fly.

And SkyVector doesn't even maintain current UAS info. Their "DROTAM" page states "DROTAMs™ are what SkyVector calls "Drone NOTAMs", or Notices to Airmen defining unmanned aerial systems operating areas (UAS OA). The U.S. Air Force, Customs and Border Protection Agency, public operators with a Certificate of Authorization (COA), or private commercial operators granted a Section 333 exemption may issue NOTAMs to advise pilots of their activities."

333 is pretty much gone (a few still have them), and there is zero mention of 107 our 349 operators.

SkyVector is great for the manned aviators, not so much for the unmanned aviators.

Reactions: TontoFAC
I'm going to respectfully disagree with using SkyVector. While it's certainly a good place to check the aviation charts, it's virtually useless for UAS operations.

First, no chart is going to be accurate enough if you're flying near the edge of an airspace. They were never designed for ground use. Without the ability to input an address, at best you can only tell if you're further away than the edges.

Second, no chart source will tell if that airspace is LAANC active, where to get approval if it is, and what AGL you're allowed to fly.

And SkyVector doesn't even maintain current UAS info. Their "DROTAM" page states "DROTAMs™ are what SkyVector calls "Drone NOTAMs", or Notices to Airmen defining unmanned aerial systems operating areas (UAS OA). The U.S. Air Force, Customs and Border Protection Agency, public operators with a Certificate of Authorization (COA), or private commercial operators granted a Section 333 exemption may issue NOTAMs to advise pilots of their activities."

333 is pretty much gone (a few still have them), and there is zero mention of 107 our 349 operators.

SkyVector is great for the manned aviators, not so much for the unmanned aviators.
Here's what I like about Skyvector. I can decipher airspace class. Then if it's controlled, I go to LAANC for more detail. If it's not controlled, I don't need LAANC. I can also see what hazards and special use items are in the area. The information may be more useful to manned aviators, but I've found it very helpful for droning info. Plus all of that information on the aeronautical charts is on the Part 107 test.

Reactions: Robert Droner
You must be a fixed wing pilot. I wish Foreflight had been around when I was flying. Sorting out all the incoming Jeppsson charts was a nightmare. Do you use Foreflight when flight planning your drone?
Jeppeson took a lot of work to keep everything updated.
NOS was far easier but it was primarily for military pilots (not many Cessna pilots can fly a high penetration approach).
The Jeppeson Pro charts (iPad) are phenomenal now...moving map, weather overlay, weekly updates, instant manual access, NOTAM’s on each applicable page and much more. But, not cheap.

I suggest using Kittyhawk app this is the sight the FAA told me to use to stay out of trouble. It’s easy to use. I do not use the DJI sight. I have never turned it on with my smart controller and it all works well
Still be a little cautious of Kittyhawk. There is a Part 93 airspace (Class D) near me that B4UFLY clearly shows as Part 93 but KittyHawk only shows it as an MOA SUA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO