DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question about Airspace

jt420

Reactions
SO I was flying around the same areas I usually fly, and today all of a sudden got a "your aircraft is at the boundary of an authorization zone please fly away with caution" .....thesee are the same area's I have flown many times and as recently as yesterday without issue. Is there something I"m missing? I'm not getting any popups that allow me to over ride zones like usual, and the aircraft simply won't go past the boundary even though it's only a couple hundred meters or so from my launch point. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SO I was flying around the same areas I usually fly, and today all of a sudden got a "your aircraft is at the boundary of an authorization zone please fly away with caution" .....thesee are the same area's I have flown many times and as recently as yesterday without issue. Is there something I"m missing? I'm not getting any popups that allow me to over ride zones like usual, and the aircraft simply won't go past the boundary even though it's only a couple hundred meters or so from my launch point. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Not picking on you, but this is the (all too common) sort of post where we have zero ability to help you. You didn't give us any specific information of any kind. It's like sending an E-Mail to a mechanic and saying "My car won't start. What's wrong?" Also like calling IT support and saying "My computer isn't working.".

Having said that, with all questions regarding airspace you should always go to the definitive (primary) sources of information, which include:
These are sources that should be checked before every flight, regardless of how familiar you are with the area or how many times you've flown there before. Changes can and do occur.

For a "quick and dirty" check you can use secondary sources of the same information. These are not definitive and you could get you in trouble if they give you inaccurate information. As RPIC you are still responsible for knowing the actual airspace restrictions. These secondary sources are apps like AirMap.

I get it, stupid me. It is a class D authorization zone ( in blue) on the screen the warning comes up yellow which as I believe should be able to be overridden but I'm not getting that option for some reason. There's a small airport a 4-5 miles away but that's never been an issue before. The zip code is 33432 if that helps.

I get it, stupid me. It is a class D authorization zone ( in blue) on the screen the warning comes up yellow which as I believe should be able to be overridden but I'm not getting that option for some reason. There's a small airport a 4-5 miles away but that's never been an issue before. The zip code is 33432 if that helps.

Are you logged in to your DJI account?

That is some very busy airspace there with BCT (Boca Raton) and PMP (Pompano Beach) airports blanketing almost the entire beach in that area. I have personally flown there, and there is only a small (pie shaped) sliver of space that is not covered by one of those two airports. It is at Deerfield Beach with SE 4th Street being just about in the center between the two. So your drone was giving you absolutely correct information, whether or not you have flown there before. The best idea is to get LAANC authorization any time you want to fly in that area.

The zipcode above is in KBCT surface Class D from 1200 - 0400Z (0800 - 0000 EDT), and so it is illegal to fly without authorization during those hours:

View attachment 97027
Sar104. Where did that sectional come from? On line somewhere or from a printer sectional? It is very complete with the summary box overlay. Fixed wing pilot and have never seen that format before. Thanks.

Reactions: TontoFAC
Sar104. Where did that sectional come from? On line somewhere or from a printer sectional? It is very complete with the summary box overlay. Fixed wing pilot and have never seen that format before. Thanks.

That's the flight planning app Foreflight.

Since you have your answer (The FAA UAS Facilities Map is the best option), I'll pass along a little editorial comment.

When it comes to questions about airspace, there is no such thing as a stupid question! And everyone here should be fully familiar with it, or well on your way to learning it.

Airspace is one of the most difficult things for most drone owners to understand. Unless you have a background in manned aviation, this is the first time you've ever had to deal with it. And it's up to each of us to learn all we can about airspace in our respective countries, and in the areas where we live specifically.

I congratulate jt420 for being brave enough to ask, and appreciate everyone here being willing to answer without snarky comments.

That's the flight planning app Foreflight.
I just installed Foreflight to have a look at it. It seems to be a great tool, but being the cheapskate I am, noticed the yearly subscription cost was more than I actually want to spend for the amount of time I fly my crone, so I uninstalled it for now. Maybe will go back to it in the summer when I do most of my flying on vacation in the mountains of Montana. For now, will get along with Airmap and UAV forecast.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.54.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.54.42 AM.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 44
I just installed Foreflight to have a look at it. It seems to be a great tool, but being the cheapskate I am, noticed the yearly subscription cost was more than I actually want to spend for the amount of time I fly my crone, so I uninstalled it for now. Maybe will go back to it in the summer when I do most of my flying on vacation in the mountains of Montana. For now, will get along with Airmap and UAV forecast.

Agreed. Foreflight is not a UAV app, and is probably costs more than many casual pilots are willing to pay.

Reactions: bcfd29
I suggest using Kittyhawk app this is the sight the FAA told me to use to stay out of trouble. It’s easy to use. I do not use the DJI sight. I have never turned it on with my smart controller and it all works well

Reactions: Crigstar
As the weirdness in the US continues, EXPECT unusual/atypical no fly zones to emerge, especially as emergency management or other entities establish infrastructure and base camps to operate from. These can be currently vacant/idle commercial structures, stadiums, etc. and it is probable that they will lock down the airspace to protect and secure their operations.

• Sad
Reactions: Drgnfli
Agreed. Foreflight is not a UAV app, and is probably costs more than many casual pilots are willing to pay.
You must be a fixed wing pilot. I wish Foreflight had been around when I was flying. Sorting out all the incoming Jeppsson charts was a nightmare. Do you use Foreflight when flight planning your drone?

You must be a fixed wing pilot. I wish Foreflight had been around when I was flying. Sorting out all the incoming Jeppsson charts was a nightmare. Do you use Foreflight when flight planning your drone?

Yes - it's one of the few sources of up-to-date TFRs as well as definitive airspace information.

For up-to-date airspace info, I go to skyvector.com. It has aeronautical charts for anywhere in the country. It's also a good site to just spend time studying all the little details on the chart and know what they mean. If you ever take your Part 107 test, you'll need to know how to read these charts.

Reactions: AirShark
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan