DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question but here goes......

Prmath

Reactions
Can I use an IPhone with no cell service for my monitor on my new Mavic 2Pro? Dang, I hated to ask this but inquiring this mind wanted to know.....
T I A

Reactions: beejAMG
I tried using an old iPhone 5 and it wouldn’t work. It would’ve been the ideal solution, but the app wouldn’t “take”. I may try again!

I tried using an old iPhone 5 and it wouldn’t work. It would’ve been the ideal solution, but the app wouldn’t “take”. I may try again!

I'm 99% sure I had to ditch my 5 and get a 6 just to use with my Mavic. I seem to remember DJIGO4 needs the iPhone 6 and above...

From what i have read the iphones and ipads that have cell service also have the gps chip. Not required to have service just needs the other chip. I cld be waaaay off base. Either way i bought a used 6s+ to fly my mavic 2 with. I will only use it for the drone. Glad u asked this bc i was still wondering myself

From what i have read the iphones and ipads that have cell service also have the gps chip. Not required to have service just needs the other chip. f

No you don't need a GPS chip. If the mobile device has no GPS, Follow Me function as well as current RC's position Homepoint will not work, but you can still fly.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
Nope. Got the error message “Cannot Download App DJI GO 4 isn’t compatible with this device”. So an iPhone 5 won’t work

There's a Youtube video that talks about this problem, and it's published by Drone Valley. My thought was that it really doesn't matter why. The hard fact is that it won't so I use an iPhone 7+ instead, and it works fine. It's not a dedicated device, which would've been nice, but it solves the problem. The iPhone 5 will be used by a grandchild instead.

Here's another problem that I've stumbled upon. During the boot sequence, I must turn my drone on first, then the RC. If I do it in reverse like the manual suggests, the RC and phone won't connect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The phone is the last thing to be turned on.

Lots of people are sometimes embarrassed to ask what they think is a dumb question, thats no so on this forum as I find that just about everybody are very helpful and are also just as likely to ask what appears to be an obvious.

There's a Youtube video that talks about this problem, and it's published by Drone Valley. My thought was that it really doesn't matter why. The hard fact is that it won't so I use an iPhone 7+ instead, and it works fine. It's not a dedicated device, which would've been nice, but it solves the problem. The iPhone 5 will be used by a grandchild instead.

Here's another problem that I've stumbled upon. During the boot sequence, I must turn my drone on first, then the RC. If I do it in reverse like the manual suggests, the RC and phone won't connect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The phone is the last thing to be turned on.
Yes. I do the same as you. Sometimes technology can be idiosyncratic.

My non gps ipad air will download the software just fine, it even runs. It just loses videofeed/connection all the time. But you should be able to run it without a gps.

Yes in fact airplane mode likely reduces any radio interference between remote n drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22