DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question - maybe.

So I was looking into my saved videos to show you the cows behavior with the drone, I found the first time we flew close to the cows, I hope it helps, cows can be seen around minute 8:20.

Please let me know when you're finish with the video so that I can set it back to private.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Why post a link in a discussion, that might be revisited by people many times here, if you set it to private after a few hours.

I watch several deer herds, at first they were spooky, after a couple of times it doesn't seem to bother them. I have some pics. at 25 feet.

Reactions: warpfactor55
As I mentioned on my previous post, altitude is around 10 to 20 m, at 8:20 I would say was around 15 to 20m, at the horse part I'd say it was around 10m.

About the cow in the water you are totally right, the drone has proven to be an incredible useful tool, did you notice some cattle on the hill? It used to be a nightmare to find them and bring them down for vaccination and examination, now with the drone it's a few minutes task to find them, the applications are endless, I can't recommend it enough.
Thank you Gizmo. And very interesting to hear that you find a drone very useful. Of course your farming is very different to mine but it was good to see that the cattle didn't spook. I wonder if they did to start with but have just got used to it over time.

Forgive me if these 2 items were already discussed.

First, I have done about a dozen client missions for Dronebase and I have my drone set to a maximum altitude of around 375'.
I often watch it as it ascends and in clear weather it is easily visible. But, if you look away and then start trying to find it again, it is not so easy to find again.
Second, the nav strobe lights available on this forum are visible for at least 3 miles. They're available individually for around $30 each.
That gives me more information. Thank you.

It might just be me, but I think even with an iPad mini (which I use), it would be very difficult in even normal light to see the screen and detail enough to tell much. For me, I'm just amazed at how much detail I can see using the DJI goggles. I use the focus fixers too. The only way I see more detail is to view after the fact on my 55" 4K TV. I just love the detail in any lighting condition with the goggles. I have also used a towel over my head which covered my controller and iPad too. That's not a bad cheap solution but not nearly as good a the goggles.
Thank you and I take your point. But I won't be looking to see if a calf or lamb is actually emerging, I will be looking for the sort of behaviour that tells me that something maybe needs investigating.

I use my drones almost continuously to monitor and move livestock. Cattle, sheep horses. All get used to the drone quite quickly.
The sheep take the longest because they have evolved subject to predation from above, much more than cows or horse. Deer will spook a bit from the drone, but moose ignore it. Drones are so valuable to my operations that I need three. I can only use one at a time, but I cannot afford to be without. When I average 3 hours /day of airtime crashes and downtime due to crashes, damage, or other failure are inevitable.
That's amazing. I would love to be with you when you are moving livestock with a drone, that must be really something although it's not something I can see me doing. I get satisfaction out of using a dog and of course we don't have the expansive acres that you guys have.

Mp with platinum props or just getting a mpp would help you. Record the field take sd card inside and watch the video. I have seen things on my computer (32 inch monitor) that I missed on my tablet. Be easy to pic out specific livestock that way
Thank you. That is probably what I would do in a lot of cases but while flying over them I hope that I would be able to see any emergency that required acting on immediately rather than wait for the drone to return home.

I have filmed a sheep herd from 30 feet up and they weren't bothered at all. Maybe because the shepherd was there as well.

Pob2KSreL5TonUdm2
That is amazing but may I make one plea on behalf of the farming community here please. If any drone flyers see livestock and they spook and get themselves all agitated and maybe tight into the corner of a field that the pilot backs off with the drone. Cows aren't so bad but if sheep are close to lambing and they are shoved up tight into a corner that can cause serious problems. Thank you.

I use my MP to monitor cattle on a river bank. I can fly above them at 150 ft and they really don't care apart from the occasional glance to see where the noise is coming from. At that distance (with the camera at 2x zoom, I can hover and count them if necessary. It's a great tool (and a perfect excuse to "she who must be obeyed" for buying the MP in the first place [emoji4]
I like the way that you convinced "she who must be obeyed" Mine has already sanctioned the investment. In fact, she may become the "arm chair" herdsperson who then 'phones me, always when I am miles away of course, to tell me that Buttercup looks to be near her time. Crikey, have I opened a can of worms here ?

I like the way that you convinced "she who must be obeyed" Mine has already sanctioned the investment. In fact, she may become the "arm chair" herdsperson who then 'phones me, always when I am miles away of course, to tell me that Buttercup looks to be near her time. Crikey, have I opened a can of worms here ?
Just make sure the device you are using to control the drone is not the phone your missus calls on.

Just make sure the device you are using to control the drone is not the phone your missus calls on.
And thereby hangs a bit more of my saga. My 'phone is not used for anything other than making calls and the odd text. I don't do Internet on it, I absolutely refuse to be sucked into the "social media" rubbish, I don't do emails on it or anything like that. I've had a mobile 'phone since August 1991 (Motorola 8800 - think house brick !) and my 'phones are for calls only. End of. Went into my GP surgery the other day. 11 people in the waiting room, 5 on their 'phones !! We have had a wonderful Easter with all the family but I have told them that the next time they come I'm going to pull the plug on my router !! :mad:

Sorry. Rant over. But what I'm getting at is that I also have to buy some kind of viewing device. I fancy a mini iPad because it's bigger and will still sit in the Mavic controller.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but has anyone got a photo. that they can show which was taken from the ground and where the subject is a Mavic at 400 ft up or indeed any other altitudes please ? I assume that it is visible at that altitude assuming no ridiculously low cloud or fog. Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

The quieter props do work, although more easily breakable but less noisy

The Mavic can definitely be seen at 400' above the viewer. When straight overhead it presents its full underbelly in enough detail to determine the direction it is pointing (because of different front and rear leg angles). It is more difficult to see 400' away at a similar altitude as the viewer because it will be presenting its much smaller edge profile.

I can see mine for 3600 feet straight ahead against a blue sky..... but if you take your focus off it for a split second its gone :p

Ah, I didn't know that. But while we are on the subject, is the Mavic the ideal drone ? I like the size of the thing plus the 4k. I will buy a mini iPad that will fit in the arms of the controller, I want to make it as portable as possible but with a good viewing platform.
The Mavic Pro is a great quad for any event!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01