DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question - maybe.

The Mavic can definitely be seen at 400' above the viewer. When straight overhead it presents its full underbelly in enough detail to determine the direction it is pointing (because of different front and rear leg angles). It is more difficult to see 400' away at a similar altitude as the viewer because it will be presenting its much smaller edge profile.
Wow, Better eyesight than me on that one!

Some interesting reading: Should you get a drone for your cattle operation? also I think if you want to play by the rules, you will be required to fly Part 107 not hobby. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions all this is for information only, make of it as you will. No judgement from me, just wanted you to get more information.
In Canada, monitoring crops or livestock is considered to be a "commercial" operation. It was explained to us in our CCUVS course that this activity provides a "financial advantage" and thus it is required to file for an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate). One, I suppose, could argue the point. Use of a UAV is definitely advantageous, but is it a financial advantage? Not sure that this has ever been tried in court here. Tongue in cheek - "One certainly would not want anyone to have a financial advantage!"

Reactions: warpfactor55
In Canada, monitoring crops or livestock is considered to be a "commercial" operation. It was explained to us in our CCUVS course that this activity provides a "financial advantage" and thus it is required to file for an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate). One, I suppose, could argue the point. Use of a UAV is definitely advantageous, but is it a financial advantage? Not sure that this has ever been tried in court here. Tongue in cheek - "One certainly would not want anyone to have a financial advantage!"
if you are a hobby farmer it's OK. But a commercial farm is a commercial business. Using a drone instead of a guy on a horse is probably saving cost. Anyway, it's professional usage of drones.

Reactions: warpfactor55
Some interesting reading: Should you get a drone for your cattle operation? also I think if you want to play by the rules, you will be required to fly Part 107 not hobby. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions all this is for information only, make of it as you will. No judgement from me, just wanted you to get more information.
That is an amazing and very encouraging article. Thank you for the link. Of course we don't have the expansive acres that exist in other parts of the World, a 40 acre field is still quite a large field in a livestock situation in the U.K. I have been to BC and done the Mountaineer trip stopping at Kamloops as well as other places along the way and I can understand how useful a drone would be in such terrain. However, me being the cautious person that I, am thinks that unless drone activity is managed sensibly by the authorities, and it surely must be managed, then the freedom that is existant now could be seriously curtailed because of activities by people who act irresponsibly with them. It is a new ear that is dawning upon people like me and I am slightly worried that some idiots will abuse the privilege. Thanks again for your post Dabrain.

Reactions: raymo
if you are a hobby farmer it's OK. But a commercial farm is a commercial business. Using a drone instead of a guy on a horse is probably saving cost. Anyway, it's professional usage of drones.
Thanks Guys. Those are interesting points that you both raise. It will be interesting to see how the U.K. handles the situation when it becomes popular as it surely will. Mind you, a lot of livestock farmers in the U.K. would say (with tongue in cheek) that trying to make a profit out of any livestock enterprise is a hobby !

Reactions: raymo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01