DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question - maybe.

warpfactor55

Reactions
Apologies if this is a stupid question but has anyone got a photo. that they can show which was taken from the ground and where the subject is a Mavic at 400 ft up or indeed any other altitudes please ? I assume that it is visible at that altitude assuming no ridiculously low cloud or fog. Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

Why do you want a photo like this, as in what is your objective here? Whether it is to prove or disprove that a person can see a Mavic at 400' altitude, a random photo from someone on the Internet won't really help.

Mike

It would have been easier for me to ask if a Mavic can be seen at that altitude but I thought that it would be better to see a photo. so as to cater for differing degrees of sight relevant to the viewer.

The Mavic can definitely be seen at 400' above the viewer. When straight overhead it presents its full underbelly in enough detail to determine the direction it is pointing (because of different front and rear leg angles). It is more difficult to see 400' away at a similar altitude as the viewer because it will be presenting its much smaller edge profile.

It would have been easier for me to ask if a Mavic can be seen at that altitude but I thought that it would be better to see a photo. so as to cater for differing degrees of sight relevant to the viewer.
The simple answer is, yes. But it is not that simple, even if we are talking about one single person with excellent eyesight. In normal conditions that person should be able to see a Mavic from takeoff to 400' if it was directly overhead, AND if they never take their eyes off of the Mavic during its flight. But ask that same person to find the Mavic in the sky after it was already up to 400'? Much more difficult. Ask them to find it when it is 400' up and 1000' out on a cloudy day and you can forget it.

Why do you want to know this?

Mike

Reactions: WAXMAN
The Mavic can definitely be seen at 400' above the viewer. When straight overhead it presents its full underbelly in enough detail to determine the direction it is pointing (because of different front and rear leg angles). It is more difficult to see 400' away at a similar altitude as the viewer because it will be presenting its much smaller edge profile.
Thank you for that really helpful answer.

The simple answer is, yes. But it is not that simple, even if we are talking about one single person with excellent eyesight. In normal conditions that person should be able to see a Mavic from takeoff to 400' if it was directly overhead, AND if they never take their eyes off of the Mavic during its flight. But ask that same person to find the Mavic in the sky after it was already up to 400'? Much more difficult. Ask them to find it when it is 400' up and 1000' out on a cloudy day and you can forget it.

Why do you want to know this?

Mike
Thank you for that information. The reason that I would like to know this is because, as mentioned before on a drone forum, I think a drone could be very useful in keeping an eye on livestock. i.e. when we have cows calving outside, evidence of sheep worrying, etc. etc. The problem is that from what I have seen animals are alarmed by drones and I am wondering if a drone could be used at an altitude that doesn't upset the stock and yet allows me to see what is going on. For instance, a cow lying down in the same place for quite a while when the others have moved away from her and she is on her own means that I have to go and investigate on foot. Likewise if there is a ewe lambing outside.

It would just mean that I could maybe keep an eye on the stock many more times per day than I do now

Thank you for that information. The reason that I would like to know this is because, as mentioned before on a drone forum, I think a drone could be very useful in keeping an eye on livestock. i.e. when we have cows calving outside, evidence of sheep worrying, etc. etc. The problem is that from what I have seen animals are alarmed by drones and I am wondering if a drone could be used at an altitude that doesn't upset the stock and yet allows me to see what is going on. For instance, a cow lying down in the same place for quite a while when the others have moved away from her and she is on her own means that I have to go and investigate on foot. Likewise if there is a ewe lambing outside.

It would just mean that I could maybe keep an eye on the stock many more times per day than I do now
Ahhhh.... Now I get it.

I am not a farmer, but I know that my MP is usually hard to hear at 400'. Certainly not disturbing. So you should be fine at that altitude, if not lower. (Even at 200' it is not very loud.)

Mike

Just a couple days ago, I wanted to see how far away I could see the Mavic so I flew until I could no longer see it. At about 3000', I could no longer see anything. I kept my eyes on it the entire time. It was only a barely visible speck until I could no longer see it. Not sure exactly how high I had it, probably about 300' or so if I were to guess. It can be hard to find even at 200 feet sometimes if you take your eyes off it.

There are many, many cow fields around where I live and have filmed cows several times. They don't really seem to be bothered until you get within maybe 30 feet or so. They will look up at probably around 100 feet or so away, but then continue doing cow things, mainly eating lol. Would be a great tool for watching livestock.

Reactions: warpfactor55
Ahhhh.... Now I get it.

I am not a farmer, but I know that my MP is usually hard to hear at 400'. Certainly not disturbing. So you should be fine at that altitude, if not lower. (Even at 200' it is not very loud.)

Mike
But from my experience with a drone user on the farm the livestock looked straight up at the drone and continued to look at it but I do not know at what height the drone was, hence my question in the first place was for comparison purposes. Did they hear the drone and were drawn immediately to the sight of it and that was why they were spooked ? The more information that I can get hold of will help me with a decision. Thank you.

Just a couple days ago, I wanted to see how far away I could see the Mavic so I flew until I could no longer see it. At about 3000', I could no longer see anything. I kept my eyes on it the entire time. It was only a barely visible speck until I could no longer see it. Not sure exactly how high I had it, probably about 300' or so if I were to guess. It can be hard to find even at 200 feet sometimes if you take your eyes off it.

There are many, many cow fields around where I live and have filmed cows several times. They don't really seem to be bothered until you get within maybe 30 feet or so. They will look up at probably around 100 feet or so away, but then continue doing cow things, mainly eating lol. Would be a great tool for watching livestock.
Thank you. Very helpful. I am aware that sheep are more easily spooked than cows. That's why you never get one sheep escaping from a field, it's always the whole **** lot of them !! They follow one another.............................like sheep.

I am not a livestock expert, but I do not think they would be bothered by a MPP or MP with low noise props at 400'. The question is would you see the detail you need at that distance? Using a tablet instead of a phone for a bigger display would help but you would probably need to get closer than 400', depending on what exactly you are trying to see. A newborn lamb may be difficult to spot at 400' but the behavior of the ewe may be apparent enough to determine what is happening.

...The question is would you see the detail you need at that distance?...
I just remembered that the MP has a 2x digital zoom that will help you see the detail you need. Not the greatest for photography but should help for your purposes.

I am not a livestock expert, but I do not think they would be bothered by a MPP or MP with low noise props at 400'. The question is would you see the detail you need at that distance? Using a tablet instead of a phone for a bigger display would help but you would probably need to get closer than 400', depending on what exactly you are trying to see. A newborn lamb may be difficult to spot at 400' but the behavior of the ewe may be apparent enough to determine what is happening.
Yes, I am pretty well convinced that it would be a behavoural thing that I would be watching. As I have mentioned before, cows and ewes all on their own can be an alarm. Sheep worrying would be easy to spot but only if you were flying at the time. My idea would to get the drone up every couple of hours or so in addition to the physical visits one makes anyway.

I just remembered that the MP has a 2x digital zoom that will help you see the detail you need. Not the greatest for photography but should help for your purposes.
Ah, I didn't know that. But while we are on the subject, is the Mavic the ideal drone ? I like the size of the thing plus the 4k. I will buy a mini iPad that will fit in the arms of the controller, I want to make it as portable as possible but with a good viewing platform.

Yes, I am pretty well convinced that it would be a behavoural thing that I would be watching. As I have mentioned before, cows and ewes all on their own can be an alarm. Sheep worrying would be easy to spot but only if you were flying at the time. My idea would to get the drone up every couple of hours or so in addition to the physical visits one makes anyway.
Then I think a MP or MPP would work great for you. They are the quieter and give the longest flying time.

But from my experience with a drone user on the farm the livestock looked straight up at the drone and continued to look at it but I do not know at what height the drone was, hence my question in the first place was for comparison purposes. Did they hear the drone and were drawn immediately to the sight of it and that was why they were spooked ? The more information that I can get hold of will help me with a decision. Thank you.
My bet is they heard it and looked for the source of the noise, unless the drone was ridiculously low.

When cattle have their heads down to graze, they can see almost 360 degrees. As they raise their heads, the sides of their bodies create a blind spot behind them. This panoramic vision allows them to see in all directions without moving their heads, but they have binocular vision only for an angle of about 25 to 50 degrees in front of them. Binocular vision is like ours: Both eyes focus on an object, allowing the perception of depth, speed and distance. Their monocular vision to the side allows them to see movement, but it is not sharply focused like human vision.

Do Cows Have Poor Eyesight?

Mike

... is the Mavic the ideal drone?...
Asking if the Mavic is the ideal drone will get you into a Ford/Chevy debate. My MP is the ideal drone for me because of its portability, battery life, and range.
... I will buy a mini iPad that will fit in the arms of the controller, I want to make it as portable as possible but with a good viewing platform.
You might want to consider a larger tablet that uses a tablet holder. A folding type holder will still keep the whole setup portable. My tablet, holder, Mavic, RC, two extra batteries, extra props, and other small items all fit in the fly more bag.
...What would the advantages be of the MPP please ?
The MPP has a slightly longer flying time and is a little quieter. Using the MPP props on the MP makes them almost the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez