DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuttering recording (high contrast especially)

Simbstah

Reactions
Hi!

I'm new to this whole game and just recently got my mavic pro, best "toy" i've ever had!

Got a small problem (except for the whole gimball motor overloaded crap) when recording.
Found it stuttering a lot when i first got it, bought some ND filters since everyone kept saying you need em for high light filming, but I keep getting the stuttering, especially light areas (White car in the clip).
I dont know if im expecting too much of the drone of if i forgot some obvious setting or something but its really bugging me out.

I've checked the source file and the stuttering is the same as on the uploaded version, its much more noticeable when moving the drone faster, but its ALWAYS there.

Any tips would be nice!

You can try downgrading the firmware one version and see what happens.

There have been 4-6 updates since i got it, and it seems to be the same on every version. It got a LITTLE better when i used ND16(as seen in the clip), but i want that smooooooooth recording. =/
But thanks for the input!

I believe that he stated he has inspected the source video file when he typed "I've checked the source file and the stuttering is the same as on the uploaded version, its much more noticeable when moving the drone faster, but its ALWAYS there."
However, please validate that this statement means you have removed the SD card from the Mavic Pro itself and then downloaded the video from that card and that the stuttering you mention is present in that footage.

Also, Just installing an ND filter (in your case ND 16 ) does not automatically solve this issue. One must set thier shutter speed to double that of the frame rate. i.e. 30 FPS and 1/60th of a second shutter speed. One must also manage the ISO that is associated with those settings.

I see no mention of the frame rate, shutter speed , and ISO being used to shoot said footage.

Found it stuttering a lot when i first got it, bought some ND filters since everyone kept saying you need em for high light filming, but I keep getting the stuttering, especially light areas (White car in the clip).

What do you mean by "stuttering"? Playback in the above video is smooth for me. Maybe we need to clarify terminology first.

Reactions: Former Member
I believe that he stated he has inspected the source video file when he typed "I've checked the source file and the stuttering is the same as on the uploaded version, its much more noticeable when moving the drone faster, but its ALWAYS there."
However, please validate that this statement means you have removed the SD card from the Mavic Pro itself and then downloaded the video from that card and that the stuttering you mention is present in that footage.

Also, Just installing an ND filter (in your case ND 16 ) does not automatically solve this issue. One must set thier shutter speed to double that of the frame rate. i.e. 30 FPS and 1/60th of a second shutter speed. One must also manage the ISO that is associated with those settings.

I see no mention of the frame rate, shutter speed , and ISO being used to shoot said footage.

Yes, sorry, 4k, 25fps, unclear about iso, I Think its as low as it can go, or almost (100-200?) but its with a ND16 filter and 1/160-1/200 shutter speed. It feels like I need a darker filter to be able to get to 1/60

With source file i ment straight from the mavic, in some cases there are diffrences between the original files and an uploaded version. I wanted to make it clear that any stuttering is NOT caused by Youtube in this case.

Thank you!

What do you mean by "stuttering"? Playback in the above video is smooth for me. Maybe we need to clarify terminology first.

Its smooth until you go fullscreen. Check the edges of the White, best seen around the tail lights and number plate when moving the drone. This is in tripod mode and moving the stick very Little (very low speed even in tripod.)

Thank you for the reply!

Also, 4k 25fps iso 100-200 somewhere, got the shutter to about 1/160, which might be the problem, but to get it down to 1/60 on a sunny day i would need a MUCH darker filter (ND64?)

You can try to look at the following thread. It has some information on screen lag. Is the lag you are seeing on your display also on your SD card media? Not sure if that is what you mean by source.

Problem screen lag

Yes, the clip identical on the SD card and on Youtube. sometimes stuttering can appear when uploading, just wanted to make sure you know that was not the case.

Hi!

I dont know if im expecting too much of the drone of if i forgot some obvious setting or something but its really bugging me out.

I've checked the source file and the stuttering is the same as on the uploaded version, its much more noticeable when moving the drone faster, but its ALWAYS there.

Any tips would be nice!

From this am I correct in understanding that stuttering occurs even without the ND filters? If not, i.e. only happens when ND filters are on... ensure filters are put on before power up... are put on 100% aligned fit and power up is done with MP on a flat surface...

I guess you have done a Gimbal calibration in the DJI Go app too ?

Lastly, try and film without motors running, just walk around the back of the car, see if same result... could be damaged propeller(s), or damaged gimbal rubber grommets causing disturbance the gimbal can't counteract... which would not be a problem handheld

PS: Which exact MicroSD card are you using please - Spec e.g. Class 10, UHS 1 Brand and Model - if it is a fast one, try a card format from within the Go4 App

Last edited:
Looks perfectly normal for 25p, "fast" shutter speed and high movement on a close object.

25p will always stutter a bit on a computer display since that operates at 60fps, and frames will have to be alternatively dropped or duplicated making the stream uneven. For more regular playback you want to use 30fps, where every frame is duplicated so there is no variation.
If you shoot at a slower shutter speed like 1/50th there will be some motion blur which will "hide" the sharp edges somewhat making the stutter less noticeable.
If you want to do a smooth travelling of a close object you'd typically want it to be slower.

Last edited:
Looks perfectly normal for 25p, "fast" shutter speed and high movement on a close object.

25p will always stutter a bit on a computer display since that operates at 60fps, and frames will have to be alternatively dropped or duplicated making the stream uneven. For more regular playback you want to use 30fps, where every frame is duplicated so there is no variation.
If you shoot at a slower shutter speed like 1/50th there will be some motion blur which will "hide" the sharp edges somewhat making the stutter less noticeable.
If you want to do a smooth travelling of a close object you'd typically want it to be slower.

Good information. Can a slower shutter speed be used in low and bright light conditions to hide the sharp edges? Can I ask are there any additional steps you would take on the Mavic to adjust between lighting conditions?

There is a million posts about that - you need to swap ND filters to adapt to the amount of light so you can have shutter speed where you want it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54