DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suddenly having a problem while flying

Skiergd011013

Reactions
While flying, i just recently started having problems with the apps video feed lagging, and glitching/pixelating. This is all while still very close to the drone, all background apps closed, phone in airplane mode etc. It happens in different locations, so its not interference in one spot. i have a full hd and controller signal to the drone when it happens. The drone responds flawlessly to me controlling it, the problem seems to be the app itself. This is getting very irritating. What can I do?

Reactions: Pdxpaul
Try clearing all the cached videos on your device. And see how much space you have on the device.

Might also do a refresh of Mavic firmware vis DJI Assistant.

Paul C

Try clearing all the cached videos on your device. And see how much space you have on the device.

Might also do a refresh of Mavic firmware vis DJI Assistant.

Paul C
I did a upgrade to the latest about a week ago. Now it is saying I need it again. When i do it, it fails. Over and over..

Reactions: M K
I would try to downgrade to previous level. See if things get better.

Via Assistant you can go back 2 versions maybe 3.

The issue with the failed upgrade may be part of the problem.

Paul C

Reactions: Drgnfli
While flying, i just recently started having problems with the apps video feed lagging, and glitching/pixelating. This is all while still very close to the drone, all background apps closed, phone in airplane mode etc. It happens in different locations, so its not interference in one spot. i have a full hd and controller signal to the drone when it happens. The drone responds flawlessly to me controlling it, the problem seems to be the app itself. This is getting very irritating. What can I do?

Using an iPad Mini 4 I had the same problems after a recent update. Can’t remember the version but it was in the last few months. I had to disable video caching for it to be usable.

Reactions: Pdxpaul
Wow. Thanks, ill try it tonight and clear/disable any cached photos. I hope it is just my app and whatever update they did. They better fix it fast, competition is heating up and dji doesn't need customers having issues like this.

Using an iPad Mini 4 I had the same problems after a recent update. Can’t remember the version but it was in the last few months. I had to disable video caching for it to be usable.
is this how you turn off the cache? This is all i could find in the settings. Either way, it didn't help. It was very unpleasant flying it this evening. Screenshot_20180626-202518.jpg

Yes that’s it. When was the last time you restarted your iPad/iPhone?
i use a samsung s7. I have been reading and see that some people say to turn off fast charging. I have had mine turned on recently. Im going to turn it back off, and try again tomorrow. "Something" is going on, because i have flown for hours and hours with this device 100% problem free up until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
i use a samsung s7. I have been reading and see that some people say to turn off fast charging. I have had mine turned on recently. Im going to turn it back off, and try again tomorrow. "Something" is going on, because i have flown for hours and hours with this device 100% problem free up until now.

Interesting. Sorry, just assumed the iOS device. I was using an old Android tablet but the performance wasn’t good enough. After reading so many issues with DJIGo app and android back then I decided to get the mini specifically for the Mavic. Never had an issue with the mini until that update that required the disabling of video cache. I was also seeing CPU warnings on the iPad when flying as well. Since disabling that setting it hasn’t been a problem.

My only other thought is relative temperature; is it hot where you are? Humidity maybe? The app will make any device run hot. It being summer, that can’t help. Direct sunlight might cause it to overheat.

Interesting. Sorry, just assumed the iOS device. I was using an old Android tablet but the performance wasn’t good enough. After reading so many issues with DJIGo app and android back then I decided to get the mini specifically for the Mavic. Never had an issue with the mini until that update that required the disabling of video cache. I was also seeing CPU warnings on the iPad when flying as well. Since disabling that setting it hasn’t been a problem.

My only other thought is relative temperature; is it hot where you are? Humidity maybe? The app will make any device run hot. It being summer, that can’t help. Direct sunlight might cause it to overheat.
no, its not hot when it happens. I have flown in much hotter temps problem free. Ill keep trying

When was the last time you restarted your iPad

@mr.bill Will that automatically clear the cache?

I am normally an Android person BUT I fly with a dedicated display; 2018 iPad Pro 10.5 Cellular. It is not on a network unless I turn on WiFi to update Go 4 app or what-not at home. It is not on a cellular network.

I power off every time I am finished flying, on an IOS device does it have the same effect as it does on a PC?

@mr.bill Will that automatically clear the cache?

I am normally an Android person BUT I fly with a dedicated display; 2018 iPad Pro 10.5 Cellular. It is not on a network unless I turn on WiFi to update Go 4 app or what-not at home. It is not on a cellular network.

I power off every time I am finished flying, on an IOS device does it have the same effect as it does on a PC?

It has the same effect as when processes aren’t running correctly and reboot sometimes helps. I test software on mobile devices and when things aren’t working normally for no apparent reason, a reboot resolves it especially on Samsung devices. Might the bloatware they add, might be we’re working the device too hard but it does help. I find Apple users rarely restart their hardware and more times than not a simple restart helps.

From memory, I don’t think restarting clears the DJI cache but it be a while and I’m not certain.

I did a upgrade to the latest about a week ago. Now it is saying I need it again. When i do it, it fails. Over and over..
If you are running the upgrade using the RC + GO4, there's a trick I figured out after several failed attempts... Move the RC w/device attached *away* from the Mavic, and put the RC *closer* to your WiFi router. The crosstalk between the RC and the Mavic interferes with the WiFi signal. For me, this worked every time.

Reactions: conchman
Arghh... these are just more reasons to keep from updating apps. It’s why DJI should have a dedicated screen combined with a remote. They have to update their software with every Android or iOS update. My video pixelates (new word) when I fly.

Reactions: M K
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+