DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for aging newbie

Melvoid

Reactions
Hi,

So I showed some friends my Air 2 yesterday and "he" is very interested in getting a drone. Of course, I will become tech support by default. I'm looking for suggestions for a first-timer that should be quick and easy to learn and that I can help with.

He's in his 80s. Very sharp, but we need it to be not too complicated. A big thing is, I think it should be a model with the view screen built in. He uses an iPhone; I use and Android. I know nothing about iPhones except that if it comes to using his Apple password and whatnot, I will probably not be able to help. I've tried and it was very difficult.

Price isn't too critical, but ease of use and a decent camera are what I think are the main concerns.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Until we get up to 'Inspire' levels, most DJI machines are as easy to fly and use as each other. And if you just need a built in screen then the Mini 4 Pro, or Air 3 with the RC2 (screen in controller) option should do nicely. The differences between Mini series, Air series and Mavics is mainly about cameras and wind resistance. Mini 4 Pro has just the one (VERY good) camera and is weaker in wind (can handle up to 36 mph gusts), but is often considered great for beginners, mainly for how eminently portable and quick to setup and fly it is. If he was totally new to this, and hadn't seen yours I might recommend the Neo, which is loads cheaper, and its camera is 'OK' but its real advantage is crash resistance, if you think that might be something that will be happening a lot ! Personally I would (and did!) choose the M4P over the Neo, and I will be careful not to crash it !

Last edited:
ALL DJI models would be a good drone for your friend really I got my nieghbor started on an Mini 3 pro and he loved it Granted I ended up doing most of the setup for him and I still am. Its a great drone and its under the limit so no added confusion. I did end up getting him a non screened controller so he could use his IPAD for a larger screen. I would suggest staying clear of the screened remotes due to their small screen size.

On the other hand, I would suggest something simple like on if the Mini 1 or Mini 2 series and perferably a mini 2 full stop.
Why?
Because the newer models have many more options available that can change the drones' behaviours e.g. OA (with various responses available ) and RTH with some quite complicated behaviours being possible.

Keep thing simple at first, if he likes the suggested Mini 2 he can then upgrade to one of the more recent models and if so desired probably sell the mini 2 with little or no loss.

The only worry with a Mini 2 is, if second hand, that you would NEED TO ENSURE that the drone wasn't bound to someones account AND that the controller wasn't bound to the drone. You'd probably have to be responsible for that check.

In addition the mini 2 will be cheap by comparison and not such a loss if he crashes it.

Thanks for the replies. While I use my Android phone, he might prefer a larger screen like a tablet. I hadn't really thought of that, but I am now. I used a tablet with my previous Phantom and kind of miss the screen size.

Good suggestions. Thanks

Absolute best option is the Avata 2 with the MC3. He'll be flying with confidence in no time, and the FPV experience nearly always wows.

Only risk is he turns out to be one of those 1 in 10 that can never get used to the tilting horizon and are constantly motion sick.

My suggestion is the Air 2 with the Smart Controller. We had a blast with that setup and not having to deal with Ipads , cords priceless. and you can get a used one for a really good price. Sell him yours and you upgrade. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyved