DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunrise & Sunset Photos/Videos

Jen B

Reactions
Hello everyone, I'm very new to flying and just recently started flying my Mavic Pro Platinum. I've been struggling a bit to capture the colors in sunrise photos and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a beginner like me? I have adjusted the exposure while flying and it hasn't done much, the colors seem to be really dull especially in the sky. Something to mention the ground is currently snow covered here in Maine and so I'm not sure if the whiteness of the snow is messing with the color contrast while recording. Attached is a photo taken with the drone (faded photo) and one taken a few minutes later with my phone (brighter sun photo). Any help/suggestionsFaded.PNGPhone.jpg would be greatly appreciated.

Photography and cameras 101, the measuring light meter can only average a scene to middle Gray. Therefore, if the meter sees mostly highlights from the Sun for example, instead of looking white, they will look muddled Gray. Conversely, a scene with predominantly black areas will also be rendered muddled Gray. When shooting an area of highlights that appear muddled Gray, using manual mode, turn the right control wheel to increase the size of the aperture to brighten the scene. Do the reverse for very black areas.

Be advised, the range of tones for any single photograph is limited. In a single photograph you would have to make a choice for what is more important, the highlights or the Shadows. There is a way to overcome this, use HDR which means High dynamic range and is a method of combining several exposures from under exposure to overexposure to try to render the scene in a pleasing way.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Photography and cameras 101, the measuring light meter can only average a scene to middle Gray. Therefore, if the meter sees mostly highlights from the Sun for example, instead of looking white, they will look muddled Gray. Conversely, a scene with predominantly black areas will also be rendered muddled Gray. When shooting an area of highlights that appear muddled Gray, using manual mode, turn the right control wheel to increase the size of the aperture to brighten the scene. Do the reverse for very black areas.

Be advised, the range of tones for any single photograph is limited. In a single photograph you would have to make a choice for what is more important, the highlights or the Shadows. There is a way to overcome this, use HDR which means High dynamic range and is a method of combining several exposures from under exposure to overexposure to try to render the scene in a pleasing way.

Thank you Marty, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm obviously very new to this and haven't played around with the settings too much (only on week 1 with a drone). I have also heard that if you put it in AEB mode it will take multiple pictures of the same scene using different exposure values. And if set to take five shots the images can have a higher dynamic range. Then later I can combine the photos with photo editing software. Hoping to give this a try next time I fly.

Last edited:
In the first photo, the sky is 'blown out' (Over exposed).

From what I understand, you are supposed to expose for the brightest part of the image (in this case that would be the sun). This is because its easier to regain information in the shadows than it is in the light.

The second picture on your phone is a HDR, where your phone is taking snaps at multiple exposures and then blending them together, taking the best parts (and most information) from each picture. You of course can take HDR snaps on most Mavics also. Something called AEB is also available. (explained in some of the vids below)

Your best bet is Youtube. You can be an Photography expert in an hour with all the info on there. Below are some videos I have previously found most helpful for drone photography. I have put them in the order in which it would be best to watch them, if you are starting from scratch.

INSTANTLY improve your DRONE landscape photography | DJI mavic

Hope these help. Happy Snapping.

Getting an image from the drone vs what your eyes see is almost impossible. Same can be said with any mirrorless camera. Post processing is necessary. In saying this, one has to choose between an “Ok” appealing image or one that you and others go “Wow!” I always go for the latter.

Post processing is an acquired skill and art. Throw in how to handle multiple exposures or HDR, and you upped the learning curve.

Reactions: Jen B
In the first photo, the sky is 'blown out' (Over exposed).

From what I understand, you are supposed to expose for the brightest part of the image (in this case that would be the sun). This is because its easier to regain information in the shadows than it is in the light.

The second picture on your phone is a HDR, where your phone is taking snaps at multiple exposures and then blending them together, taking the best parts (and most information) from each picture. You of course can take HDR snaps on most Mavics also. Something called AEB is also available. (explained in some of the vids below)

Your best bet is Youtube. You can be an Photography expert in an hour with all the info on there. Below are some videos I have previously found most helpful for drone photography. I have put them in the order in which it would be best to watch them, if you are starting from scratch.

INSTANTLY improve your DRONE landscape photography | DJI mavic

Hope these help. Happy Snapping.

Thanks so much for posting these tutorials, this is really helpful. I will definitely take a look before my next attempt at a sunrise flight.

I love photographing sunsets. I really do think (in my opinion) a great sunset is alway better than a great sunsise.
On a recent trip to Phuket Thailand I learnt by trying different lense filters on my MA camera.
At first I used a ND16, and whilst it produced a very good result shooting directly into the sun, it was a little dark when not shooting into the sun.
The colors were very interesting. Atmospheric conditions also have to be taken into account. Heat haze in particular.
I then scaled down to a ND8 and the result was sensational.
It's horses for course's when you fly. Experiment with your filters if you have any.
Rather than fiddling with camera settings, a good set of camera filters achieves allot more.
Attached photo is with a ND16 lense filter.

Sunset Phuket ND16.jpg

Reactions: RickinWaST
I’m in the same boat with a MPP as well. Good tips guys. I just completed my set of ND filters so now all that’s left is to experiment and learn.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980