DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunscreens

Martysticks

Reactions
OK, I think I need one. Went out this morning, 85 degrees and SUNNY (hey, it's Florida, OK). After flying for a bit (one battery), and as my MA was just coming in for a landing, my tablet (new IPAD 9.7") went into 'high temperature mode'. Well, that stopped me for the morning. I've been told that a sunscreen will help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;

Marty

OK, I think I need one. Went out this morning, 85 degrees and SUNNY (hey, it's Florida, OK). After flying for a bit (one battery), and as my MA was just coming in for a landing, my tablet (new IPAD 9.7") went into 'high temperature mode'. Well, that stopped me for the morning. I've been told that a sunscreen will help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;

Marty
Doubt it... you need to keep the entire iPad shaded... as the sun is heating it.
? Umbrella cap maybe?

My iPad can shut down when using it for mapping on my Ranger dash (when 4wd’ing).
I place a cap on it keeping the sun off the body / screen, allowing me to see the screen, works for that and that is in situations of our Australian summer sun / conditions.

For drone flying, I think you’ll have to try a quite broad brimmed hat, like a light cane cowboy style size, put your back to the sun, keep controller / device in shade close to body, seek out a bit of tree shade to stand under the canopy shade, probably a combo of one or more of these.

You might find a sunshade is useful to you anyway, for screen clarity , but as Thomas said, it’s the whole body of the iPad you need to get out of the sun.
Typically those shades are black in colour too, so attract heat !! And quite a lot of it.

My iPad can shut down when using it for mapping on my Ranger dash (when 4wd’ing).
I place a cap on it keeping the sun off the body / screen, allowing me to see the screen, works for that and that is in situations of our Australian summer sun / conditions.

For drone flying, I think you’ll have to try a quite broad brimmed hat, like a light cane cowboy style size, put your back to the sun, keep controller / device in shade close to body, seek out a bit of tree shade to stand under the canopy shade, probably a combo of one or more of these.

You might find a sunshade is useful to you anyway, for screen clarity , but as Thomas said, it’s the whole body of the iPad you need to get out of the sun.
Typically those shades are black in colour too, so attract heat !! And quite a lot of it.
Yeah, I always wondered why the exterior of screen shades isn’t white to reflect sun/heat.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yeah, I always wondered why the exterior of screen shades isn’t white to reflect sun/heat.
Never thought about that but duh! You are absolutely right!

I stand in the shade as much as possible, if I'm in the sun then I have my back to it. I'm also in FL and have an iPad, I have not run into a heat problem.

Otherwise try some of this ;)

large umbrella havent tried it yet but as soon as i find someone to follow and hold it over me I,ll let you know.

Reactions: PAW
I got an "overheating" error message while filming in Montana. That referred to my Mavic Air, not the iPad. I placed the bird inside the shaded car for 15 minutes and the error went away, thank goodness.

I live in desert Southwest and fly a lot in 100 deg.+ temps. I use a Hoodman, the full setup with the box and extension and it keeps the heat on my iPad, Samsung Tab A well managed. Also huge help to tame glare for technical navigation and visibility of video feed. I don't find myself turning to shade glare, so when the bird is way out I don't lose signal as often as I did. Fits the iPad like a dream, Tab A not so much but I've adapted. One thought- on my Tab A in particular if a lot of background apps are open it gets hotter no matter what the ambient temperature is.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer