DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suspect controller failing, can I get a quick flight record evaluation?

scubaddictions

Reactions
Hi everyone,

The last couple of flights with my M2P has exhibited some odd behavior with forward motion. I'll be holding right stick fully up and the drone will either slowly stop all forward motion or oscillate between full speed and very low speed. On my last flight I feel like I was able to fairly reliably duplicate the failure by transitioning from forward/diagonal flight to straight forward. For instance, in P mode with the right stick held in the upper left or upper right corner I'll be doing around 30MPH. When I slide the stick out of the corner and bring it to straight up the speed falls off, 20mph, 5mph, 3, even zero.

I've attached the flight log from the flight. Most of the flight was attempting various flight maneuvers to duplicate the problem, verified one final failure to respond to full forward right at the end of the flight then I immediately landed. From the ground watching the drone one would think I was moving the stick sporadically but repeatedly from straight up to center and back again, in reality the stick was being held solidly in the up position.

I'm concerned I've developed a dead spot in that position on the stick. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-11-07_[17-38-33].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thoughts?
I'm looking at a spreadsheet showing your joystick control inputs and lots of data to show how the drone responded to it.
The spreadsheet has 7000 lines of data and 36 columns showing the data from nearly 12 minutes of a rather complicated flight path.

Here's just a short summary report:
It would be a big help if you could point to where I need to be looking for whatever it is that you think you observed.

I'm looking at a spreadsheet showing your joystick control inputs and lots of data to show how the drone responded to it.
The spreadsheet has 7000 lines of data and 36 columns showing the data from nearly 12 minutes of a rather complicated flight path.

Here's just a short summary report:
It would be a big help if you could point to where I need to be looking for whatever it is that you think you observed.
Thanks Meta4. I can try to get one clean flight to duplicate it, but on this log please see around 10:55 through 11:12. Note that immediately prior to that time slot I was flying diagonally forward and right, then transitioned to forward. During this time interval the stick was held fully forward but the drone was barely moving, and rocking in fits.

Thanks Meta4. I can try to get one clean flight to duplicate it, but on this log please see around 10:55 through 11:12. Note that immediately prior to that time slot I was flying diagonally forward and right, then transitioned to forward. During this time interval the stick was held fully forward but the drone was barely moving, and rocking in fits.
Here is the [655, 672] secs interval.
1604843745668.png
Green is the elevator and red is the pitch angle. The elevator varied quite a bit between 0 (neutral) and 10,000 (full forward). If you're sure that the elevator was being held full forward throughout this interval then there seems to be a HW problem with your controller. The pitch response looks normal although there was some pitch overshoot when the faulty elevator signal went from full forward to neutral.

BTW, the other stick inputs were mostly neutral
1604843794123.png

Thank you for the analysis! Fairly certain that is all accurate. Last night I tried to duplicate the problem again and was unable. Was hoping to get a short, clear flight record with an extended string of failure, no dice. If the controller is developing a dead spot on the stick I could see it would be intermittent, possibly temperature related.

Thank you for the analysis! Fairly certain that is all accurate. Last night I tried to duplicate the problem again and was unable. Was hoping to get a short, clear flight record with an extended string of failure, no dice. If the controller is developing a dead spot on the stick I could see it would be intermittent, possibly temperature related.
There is another test you could do that might be a bit more definitive.
1) turn off the auto sync so that the device's .DAT don't get deleted
2) turn on MM and RC
3) move the stick topLeft, topRight, bottomRight, bottomLeft. Move slowly from one position to the next and hold each position for 5 secs or so.
4) post the device's .DAT

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki