DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

I think hibernate just comes on when the battery has been at storage charge (50-60%ish) for a specific period of time. I dont know of any way to manually force it into that state without waiting.

the utmost concern is nondestructive longterm hibernate as in factory sealed carton new, is it achieveable once charged full for flight usage?

so hibernate status destroys battery while brand new in the box sealed @10% charge level all cells??
They're shipped from factory with storage charge levels, battery is set to hibernate mode at storage levels prior to activation.

This is done so people charge battery first before putting into quad and flying straight away. Only fly drone with fully charged battery as good practice.

Once battery is used, only way to get back into hibernate is under 10%.

I think hibernate just comes on when the battery has been at storage charge (50-60%ish) for a specific period of time. I dont know of any way to manually force it into that state without waiting.
Nope once the battery has been used, only way to get into hibernate is <10% and not touching the status button for 12hr (or was it 24?).
It's been this way since the Spark. MA and M2 also exhibit this behaviour.

Older style batteries like P3/P4 and MP/MPP don't have hibernate and allow you to adjust the days to discharge via Go4 app.

They're shipped from factory with storage charge levels, battery is set to hibernate mode at storage levels prior to activation.

This is done so people charge battery first before putting into quad and flying straight away. Only fly drone with fully charged battery as good practice.

Once battery is used, only way to get back into hibernate is under 10%.
<10% charge must cause cutoff consumption of intelligent battery electronic circuitry
however recall charge <20% causes internal irreversible destruction, but that is after factory issued 1st full charging

hence it appears once initially charged from factory, to prolong longevity battery has to auto discharge down to prescribed charge intended for long storage idleness

<10% charge must cause cutoff consumption of intelligent battery electronic circuitry
however recall charge <20% causes internal irreversible destruction, but that is after factory issued 1st full charging

hence it appears once initially charged from factory, to prolong longevity battery has to auto discharge down to prescribed charge intended for long storage idleness

Traditional LiPos yes as they use a more liberal battery-voltage table, however DJI's batteries are much more conservative, you 'll find that even on 0% you can still for the quad to fly another 1-2mins before battery truly depletes.

Auto-discharge to 10 days is too long if you want to preserve your batteries. If you're quite happy to let them sit fully charged for 10 days, thats fine, it just wont last as long. DJI is more than happy to sell you another battery.

Reactions: BigAl07
Traditional LiPos yes as they use a more liberal battery-voltage table, however DJI's batteries are much more conservative, you 'll find that even on 0% you can still for the quad to fly another 1-2mins before battery truly depletes.

Auto-discharge to 10 days is too long if you want to preserve your batteries. If you're quite happy to let them sit fully charged for 10 days, thats fine, it just wont last as long. DJI is more than happy to sell you another battery.
auto dischg repeatedly relied upon, agree, will degrade longevity.
it's a delicate vigil to optimize when to fly, coordinating battery charging with it, predictively, essentially minimizing the fullhouse charge stow time inflicted onto battery

Reactions: mavicn00b
Question:
My old P3 batteries, i usually left them with +- 30%/40%....sometimes i give a little charge if they are under 25%...
Every 20 cycles i discharge them until, +- 5%.

Also, every time i completely charge them, i use the batteries for full.

Does this rules apply to MP2 batteries? Can someone give me good advices how to store and maintain them?

Reactions: BigAl07
From reading other posts on this site, with the M2 Pro batteries it seems one should only charge them to full when they plan to use the drone. If you have drained a battery in flight down to low, say 20% or less, then charge them up but when you see the last of the four charging lights start to blink, take them off, (unless you are going to fly again then go to 100%). This keeps the battery at less than full and it will start to auto discharge in 10 days with no use. You can't change this to 5 days like you can on the MPP batteries.

All of mine when they start to auto discharge get warm, which at first had concerned me but from reading other posts on this site and others this now seems normal. I had also been keeping them in my case, in the foam inserts, but now I no longer do that, instead just keep them in the open on a shelf. Auto discharging with the heat and keeping the battery in the confines of a case may also contribute to some of the swelling issues that have been reported.

The auto discharge 10 day timer is also seems pretty accurate, as I have tested this on a couple of batteries, and both started the process in the 9-10 day time frame from when I had fully charged them. So there has to be quite a bit of intelligence built into the battery timer for auto discharge. I assumed the process had started due to the fact that the batteries were warm to the touch.

I also now strap all my M2 Pro batteries in, with a Velcro 1/2" strap, 12" works prefectly. Anything wider will interfere with the sensors on the bottom of the drone. Just not willing to lose a drone due to a battery issue in flight. Should not have to worry about this however

Paul C

Reactions: ff22
Been traveling through Italy the past couple of weeks. Haven’t been able to fly as much as I’d have liked because there are stories about flying over some popular towns.

When I have flown though, temperatures have been in the mid 90s to 105 degrees Fahrenheit.

After one flight, the battery and drone would both be hot. Thus, I wouldn’t put in a new battery and fly again because the drone was hot.

I turned the AC in the car and held up the battery to the vents to cool it down. Didn’t put the drone or the battery in the Fly More bag until they’d cooled down.

But even walking around with that bag in this insane weather — I could feel the sun beating down on my back and I was sweating like crazy — the batteries were getting warm. My iPhone was getting hot because the ambient temp. Was too hot to let it cool.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it didn’t mess up my batteries.

Has anyone else experienced swelling of their batteries with fairly little use?

Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.
ALL Four Batteries SWOLLEN (80-125 recharges)

Just Barely a Year and ALL FOUR batteries purchased at the same time - (some in the FLYMORE Pack) are BULGING, Swollen and Popping from the CASE-

This seems unnatural that ALL FOUR are exhibiting this.
The Batteries are charged on the DJI standard HUB for Mavic 2.

I Know this is out of warranty - BUT ALL four ????
These Batteries are Expensive - I cant afford to replace all four of them !

A Fifth Battery (purchased with another Mavic Zoom) is Perfect-

Is there a BATCH problem ?
Has Others had this?

What should I do about this?

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 17.02.15.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 17.05.25.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 17.06.05.jpeg

Reactions: Paul2660
That is terrible. And does point to a problem.

When you look at the battery details in DJIGO4 does it show anything significant? Cell damage or any warnings?

You might still be able to use them if you add a strap. I am now using a Velcro RC battery strap on all my M2 Pro batteries.

I agree it’s a big cost to consider replacement.

Paul C

I was told by DJI i can do nothing - batteries are only covered for 6 months. All of mine swelled after 7. So 3 x $150 to replace after 20ish flights each. Expensive and very annoying.

ALL Four Batteries SWOLLEN (80-125 recharges)

Just Barely a Year and ALL FOUR batteries purchased at the same time - (some in the FLYMORE Pack) are BULGING, Swollen and Popping from the CASE-

This seems unnatural that ALL FOUR are exhibiting this.
The Batteries are charged on the DJI standard HUB for Mavic 2.

I Know this is out of warranty - BUT ALL four ????
These Batteries are Expensive - I cant afford to replace all four of them !

A Fifth Battery (purchased with another Mavic Zoom) is Perfect-

Is there a BATCH problem ?
Has Others had this?

View attachment 79592

View attachment 79593

View attachment 79594

It's not that unusual that multiple batteries swelled if they were all stored similarly (fully charged?) and/or exposed to improper temperatures (left in a hot car, etc).

How good were you with taking care of the batteries before this happened?

That is terrible. And does point to a problem.

When you look at the battery details in DJIGO4 does it show anything significant? Cell damage or any warnings?

You might still be able to use them if you add a strap. I am now using a Velcro RC battery strap on all my M2 Pro batteries.

I agree it’s a big cost to consider replacement.

Paul C
Paul...
DJI Go4 does not report any cell damage - ….
… also surprisingly the Battery works as it should - Even Airdata UAV shows normality in the discharge and votage curves etc.

My Location on the Mountain top allows me to see quite far off so there is a large field of play -
They do return quite WARM (even Hot) - I normally fly in P-Mode avg (40-50km/hr) - I Seldom fly in SPORT -

--- Recently Im having difficulty inserting them into the Mavic - (needing to Push quite firmly to get both clicks) - sometimes the Batteries Pop out of the one side Latch)

Your Idea of STRAPS - Like Velcro straps may work well -
...However DJI should not expect me to do that - especially as they pride themselves on their Batteries - AND - it looks like this can Only get worse

But the Big Question …. - WHat happens if this causes a fire or worse than that - either when Flying or Charging ?

Im starting to get a bit paranoid about that - ...

- Im seriously irritated that a known problem like this is not being addressed by DJI - for replacement

- These Batteries are expensive when you look at four at a time - lasting only a year !!!!

It's not that unusual that multiple batteries swelled if they were all stored similarly (fully charged?) and/or exposed to improper temperatures (left in a hot car, etc).

The reality is I really Fly the drone Often -

Its seldom - that more than 3 days go by without flying All batteries down to 15-20%

SO I have to say - theres NO STORAGE … the batteries recycle regularly - as they were designed to -

More and more numbers of people are getting mavic 2 batteries swelling when stored, charged and used well within the published operating conditions. And thats the issue. Mavic 1 didnt have this issue.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I was told by DJI i can do nothing - batteries are only covered for 6 months. All of mine swelled after 7. So 3 x $150 to replace after 20ish flights each. Expensive and very annoying.

That's Unacceptable -
THERE is certainly a flaw if your batteries swelled - after 20- 30 cycles in just 6 months -

I have started to limit flight time now to only around 15 minutes. Last 3 trips I made, the entire setup was very warm.

M2 Pro bottom of drone very warm, ESC motors on front very warm, rear just slightly warm, battery itself warm to the touch, warmer than I would prefer, SC extremely warm, from top by sticks to middle of screen. Top of screen warm enough that I did not make a 2nd flight. Fan is running on both drone and SC.

Hurry up fall/winter

Paul C

More and more numbers of people are getting mavic 2 batteries swelling when stored, charged and used well within the published operating conditions. And thats the issue. Mavic 1 didnt have this issue.

I lost 4 out of 7 Mavic Pro Plat batteries in just a few days. They were purchased in vastly different time frames so it wasn't a "Bad Batch" issue. One common factor was me having them at 100% charge and kept inside my car (Ready 24/7) during some especially hot days.

It's important to note that these batteries all still show/indicate and behave within normal specs but due to their swelling they are much more difficult to snap into the aircraft. My concern is this "tightness" is actually creating a PreLoaded Spring effect and any mishap with a locking tab could, in theory literally cause a battery ejection scenario.

That's Unacceptable -
THERE is certainly a flaw if your batteries swelled - after 20- 30 cycles in just 6 months -

Batteries are and have always been a "consumable" portion of R/C vehicles. They are a bit "easier" now because of the SMART aspect of the newer batteries but battery PUFFING is usually a sign of operator issues rather than manufacturing issues. Batteries come and go and it's just part of this hobby/sport/industry.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike