DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

Has anyone gotten any love from DJI on this? My FlyMore M2P package had three batteries, all made in Sept 2018, are showing swelling. I have contacted DJI but have not heard back. Are they acknowledging the batteries are bad? I can still get them in and they will lock, although one is very worrisome. But they will need replacing I am sure. They have between 51-59 charges and have been kept in climate-controlled space when not outdoors for a flight. Very disappointing.

Has anyone gotten any love from DJI on this? My FlyMore M2P package had three batteries, all made in Sept 2018, are showing swelling. I have contacted DJI but have not heard back. Are they acknowledging the batteries are bad? I can still get them in and they will lock, although one is very worrisome. But they will need replacing I am sure. They have between 51-59 charges and have been kept in climate-controlled space when not outdoors for a flight. Very disappointing.

DJI only warranties the batteries for 6 months

Reactions: Thomas B
I would not use them unless you use the zip tie also you don’t want to risk one popping out in flight I have a Mavic two pro and I had 2 batteries swell up early in the summer and after multiple emails with DJI they told me to send them in and after about three months I got two new batteries back for free they said they are very slow because of the Covid
Good luck. Mine also had about 60 cycles

I would not use them unless you use the zip tie also you don’t want to risk one popping out in flight I have a Mavic two pro and I had 2 batteries swell up early in the summer and after multiple emails with DJI they told me to send them in and after about three months I got two new batteries back for free they said they are very slow because of the Covid
Good luck. Mine also had about 60 cycles
Also my batteries were about 10 months old

From what I can glean from this thread, batteries made in 2018 after June had this problem. Mine say Sept. 2018. Not sure when they caught the problem, but this is something they should replace 6 months or no 6 months. I didn't buy an $1800 package from them to let it sit due to DJI's negligence. I have started a claim. We'll see how it goes. I just wondered if they have ever acknowledged this poor design in the batteries and have a return procedure.

Last edited:
From what I can glean from this thread, batteries made in 2018 after June had this problem. Mine say Sept. 2018. Not sure when they caught the problem, but this is something they should replace 6 months or no 6 months. I didn't buy and $1800 package from them to let it sit due to DJI's negligence. I have started a claim. We'll see how it goes. I just wondered if they have ever acknowledged this poor design in the batteries and have a return procedure.
Just give them what they want , give them copies of the receipts. And pictures They should make good but it does take quite a while

Reactions: TheRock
Just give them what they want , give them copies of the receipts. And pictures They should make good but it does take quite a while
The bummer is you’ll probably have to buy some batteries right now if you want to keep flying

Thanks Jet Skier. I shall do that if given the opportunity. I have an MA2 I can substitute for a few months if they are slow. I'll keep the forum appraised on the progress.

Reactions: Jet skier
Thanks Jet Skier. I shall do that if given the opportunity. I have an MA2 I can substitute for a few months if they are slow. I'll keep the forum appraised on the progress.
If you request an escalation to the swollen battery division (yes, there is one!), you'll likely have a positive outcome, even if the initial response is no warranty coverage after 6 months of purchase.

• Haha
If you request an escalation to the swollen battery division (yes, there is one!), you'll likely have a positive outcome, even if the initial response is no warranty coverage after 6 months of purchase.
I would not have guessed or known that one. Thank you. I did hear from them and they said send them in and are asking for the details. Some prgress. I shall request the "Swollen Battery Division"!!

DJI did start to concede last year in replacing swollen batteries, particularly those manufactured July/August 2018, but we're now talking about 2 year old batteries so they may be more resistant to replace batteries that old.

I did hear from them and they said send them in and are asking for the details so they can be replaced, so I guess Sept 2018 is also part of the batch of bad ones. I sent in all details. Will let you know when they respond.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have one battery with production date Nov. 2018. Should this be a concern? As far as the bad batch goes, do we know when it ended? Mine is not swelling at all. I just wanna find out if this battery is in the bad batch window. If it is, what is the typical process of [if at all] taking care of it? From functional level, this battery is ok with less than 50 cycles.
Thank you.
... Sept 2018 is also part of the batch of bad ones...

I have one battery with production date Nov. 2018. Should this be a concern? As far as the bad batch goes, do we know when it ended? Mine is not swelling at all. I just wanna find out if this battery is in the bad batch window. If it is, what is the typical process of [if at all] taking care of it? From functional level, this battery is ok with less than 50 cycles.
Thank you.
I think it was only for a few months. From what I have read, my Sept batch seems to be toward the end of the run of bad batteries. Mine were in air con most of the time and lightly used for about a year as I got a Mini and then an MA2 and was using the M2P only for projects like flying a 360 camera. Despite the light use and them being stored in a cool place, they started to bulge to the point where 2 easily now can pop out. So if yours aren't doing it, I would just be guessing here, but I'd say you are probably OK.

I think it was only for a few months. From what I have read, my Sept batch seems to be toward the end of the run of bad batteries. Mine were in air con most of the time and lightly used for about a year as I got a Mini and then an MA2 and was using the M2P only for projects like flying a 360 camera. Despite the light use and them being stored in a cool place, they started to bulge to the point where 2 easily now can pop out. So if yours aren't doing it, I would just be guessing here, but I'd say you are probably OK.
I am finding that it is more the age of the battery than any particular production run, although the early runs were the worst. As more M2 batteries reach 12-18 months after the manufacturing date, they, too, are at risk. I have one from January 2019 that swelled. Until they swell, they are fine. Some will. Some won't. Just don't fly with those that do.

Last edited:
I am finding that it is more the age of the battery than any particular production run. As more M2 batteries reach 12-18 months after the manufacturing date, they, too, are at risk. I have one from January 2019 that swelled. Until they swell, they are fine. Some will. Some won't. Just don't fly with those that do.
All three in my Fly More kit have swollen. I am getting all of them replaced.

How long have you had them?

Were they under warranty when they went bad?
Sept 2018. Out of warranty. They started swelling up maybe May or so but I didn't [ay much attention until they started popping out of the lock mechanism. If you read back in this thread you will one member says DJI has a swollen battery division, so it is obviously not a one-off thing.

That's cool that they covered it out of warranty.

Mine are about 2 years old too but so far, no swelling, knock on wood.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J