DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

Here's the reply I received after 20 to 30 charge cycles on 16 month old Batteries.

I have filled a complaint with FAA UA department to inform the flying public of the extreme safety issue. Every owner must be notified, and an Airworthness directive be sent out to all registered owners.

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are sorry to hear about what happened with your Mavic 2 batteries. Let me do my best to help.

Regarding this, as per your batteries' SNbecause DJI doesn’t provide global warranty service, you will have to send the batteries to our US facility for a possible replacement. Please note that for the inbound shipment to DJI NA repair center, all costs generated during shipping will be covered by you and you will be the person to do customs clearance. Because of the risk of international shipment, after repair, normally we only ship package to the North America or Canada. If you want us to ship your package to Guam, all costs generated during the outbound shipping will be covered by you and you will be the person to do customs clearance. Also, you are aware that DJI will not be liable for any delays of the shipping or package being lost or abandoned during the shipment.

However, please note that the batteries needs to be assessed by our technicians first and they will decide whether a replacement can be provided. With that being said, we cannot guarantee that they will be in fact exchanged.

Considering that the shipping cost is also quite expensive, it may be more cost effective if you purchase new batteries instead.

Please let us know how you want to proceed. Thank you for choosing DJI and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Kamil
DJI Technical Support

Basically FU

Not what I had Expected From DJI , completely unexpected , the tone of that email is alarming.
We have found that Moisture getting into the Power Button is the cause for most of the swelling from our tests.

The Wet Suits we offer come with 3 Battery Covers that cover and seal that battery protecting the entire battery and sealing it in while flying.
We offer the Forum members a nice discount from the Web Site prices.
IMG_5445.jpeg

Phantomrain.org
Email me at [email protected]

Interesting you take a safety issue and try to sell a product that will void your warranty and care refresh. Read DJI fine print, so much as a sticker is considered a modification. If it's not sold by DJI it will void any warranty. Please inform your potential customers of this oversight.
Not what I had Expected From DJI , completely unexpected , the tone of that email is alarming.
We have found that Moisture getting into the Power Button is the cause for most of the swelling from our tests.

The Wet Suits we offer come with 3 Battery Covers that cover and seal that battery protecting the entire battery and sealing it in while flying.
We offer the Forum members a nice discount from the Web Site prices.
View attachment 99540

Phantomrain.org
Email me at [email protected]

It'll be interesting to see if the Mavic Air 2 has the same problems with the swelling batteries.

And if it's 3s or 4s.

The current Air battery isn't recessed, similar to the M2 battery, but the Air is a 3S, lower voltage.
I imagine that many put their Air under similar stresses with Sports mode, flying into wind etc as M2 owners, yet we don't hear about Air batteries swelling and popping out . . . and they are bottom mounted too !

Maybe 4S voltage and discharging aggravates the heat / swelling issues ?

Interesting you take a safety issue and try to sell a product that will void your warranty and care refresh. Read DJI fine print, so much as a sticker is considered a modification. If it's not sold by DJI it will void any warranty. Please inform your potential customers of this oversight.

When we first started selling Wet Suit about 3 years ago , we asked DJI if the Wet Suits would in fact Void the warranty and based on many questions asked about the Wet Suit the answer was no it most likely would not void the warranty.

Seeing that it has been 3 years and thousands of Wet Suits have sold and so far with no issues I think DJI has done a good job.

Batteries our Expensive , we offer a fantastic option to giving those batteries there best chance.

The fact that we fly in the Pouring Rain and still flying the same batteries is a huge plus for Pilots wanting to protect there Batteries.

Phantomrain.org
Protect your Mavic 2/ Mavic Pro Batteries
Coal

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
When we first started selling Wet Suit about 3 years ago , we asked DJI if the Wet Suits would in fact Void the warranty and based on many questions asked about the Wet Suit the answer was no it most likely would not void the warranty.
Without anything in writing from DJI stating the Wet Suit would NOT void the warranty, the answer you received is worth the paper it was printed on. :cool:

I'm no attorney , however your word "most likely" scares the hell out of me.

So you as a company will honor DJI warranty if voided by your product? Is that in writing?

Seeing that it has been 3 years and thousands of Wet Suits have sold and so far with no issues I think DJI has done a good job.

Batteries our Expensive , we offer a fantastic option to giving those batteries there best chance.

The fact that we fly in the Pouring Rain and still flying the same batteries is a huge plus for Pilots wanting to protect there Batteries.

Phantomrain.org
Protect your Mavic 2/ Mavic Pro Batteries
Coal

I'm no attorney , however your word "most likely" scares the hell out of me.

So you as a company will honor DJI warranty if voided by your product? Is that in writing?

At that time , it was an honest answer from DJI , and since as mentioned the Wet Suits have proven no threat to DJI nor those that have the sticker decals or the Parachutes have voided the warranty.

This Forum has amazing Search and you wont find a single voided warranty on the Wet Suits or the Decals ect but if worry is your thing , well than you do you. ;)

So you as a company will honor DJI warranty if voided by your product?
I've never heard of anyone losing their warranty after sticking a decal or thin wet suit type material to a drone. Now, flying in the rain? Sure, that could easily void your DJI warranty if you attempted to make a claim after doing that.

I've never heard of anyone losing their warranty after sticking a decal or thin wet suit type material to a drone. Now, flying in the rain? Sure, that could easily void your DJI warranty if you attempted to make a claim after doing that.
Flying in the Rain does not void the Warranty , not with the Mavic or the Phantom with or without the wet suit.

No DJI representative ever asks were you flying in the rain , its not even a concern and when you tell them they dont say anything, they dont ask you why , or where , how , its just part of the cycle of flying in the sky.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Coal

Flying in the Rain does not void the Warranty , not with the Mavic or the Phantom
You're correct. However, if you fly in the rain, damage something, and then attempt to make a claim due to damage caused by rain, it will be denied since rain damage is not covered by the warranty. Here's that section of the DJI warranty:

1587855380379.png

Reactions: bfine
You're correct. However, if you fly in the rain, damage something, and then attempt to make a claim due to damage caused by rain, it will be denied since rain damage is not covered by the DJI warranty. Here's that section of the DJI warranty:

View attachment 99628

Of course if you damage or crash but not just because of the Rain. .

I had two Phantoms 4 Pros that both were flying in the pouring rain and hit some Magnetic Interference , entered atti mode and flew away.

DJI gave me back to back 2 / 100% Coupons for new Phantom 4 pro as they saw the Data logs and the Cashe video of the rain coming down , but made the Decisions based on the Yaw Errors that were found in Atti Mode.

Both times it was raining and both time the Phantoms had the Wet Suits on, ist not always so cut and dry , DJI has a systematic approach and determines what went wrong .

This is why I always tell Forum Members , the best thing you can do is send in your drone or file a claim and let DJI decide what and who is at fault.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
Have the Mavic Mini batteries shown swelling problems or are they under control?

Have the Mavic Mini batteries shown swelling problems or are they under control?
All DJI batteries can have swelling problems when not cared for like this. When DJI batteries swell, it almost always means they were either not used properly or stored improperly. Products aren't perfect, so some batteries could be defective too. That's not the norm though.

Im asking you as the retailer to get a letter from DJI proving your product will not void a warranty claim. It is considered an unauthorized modification. Yes I was told directly from DJI when I had a warranty claim a sharks mouth sticker is unauthorized modification and refused warranty!

It would answer this question once and for all, and I hope in this case I'm wrong.
At that time , it was an honest answer from DJI , and since as mentioned the Wet Suits have proven no threat to DJI nor those that have the sticker decals or the Parachutes have voided the warranty.

This Forum has amazing Search and you wont find a single voided warranty on the Wet Suits or the Decals ect but if worry is your thing , well than you do you. ;)

All DJI batteries can have swelling problems when not cared for like this. When DJI batteries swell, it almost always means they were either not used properly or stored improperly. Products aren't perfect, so some batteries could be defective too. That's not the norm though.

Hmm, I hadn't heard of swelling batteries before Mavic 2.

Hmm, I hadn't heard of swelling batteries before Mavic 2.
Phantom batteries have been swelling for many years. Those models were around before the first Mavic was even a dream.

I was told directly from DJI when I had a warranty claim a sharks mouth sticker is unauthorized modification and refused warranty!
That would be an interesting letter/email to see. Feel free to share if possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov