DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sydney Observatory Hill city park?

I’m not 100% sure CASA do trawl social media.
Yet.

There are simply so many online that are mind boggingly outside safe operations.

One thing’s for sure some people getting their hands on drones don’t have a speck of common sense.
I’d like to hope most people would have some foresight can see what ifs from such actions, but it appears not when you dig a little online.

CASA doing such investigative work might become more regular after new licensing and registration comes into effect in 2020, maybe more manpower will be brought to bear, but then the masses have to sign up for the new system.
Most people flying so badly probably don’t give a stuff, or won’t have a clue when it’s commenced.
I think the reality might be that many have no idea. The low cost and the fact that any donkey can be airborne in as much time as it takes to charge the battery and install the app (these current drones require almost no skill or learning curve to fly) is arguably the real problem. I have seen it first hand. Person sets up next to me, instant launch and out of sight. On enquiry I learn he is 300m up and way out of sight. Second outing with the new toy and I have no reason not to accept the explanation they had no idea of the regulations.

I think the reality might be that many have no idea. The low cost and the fact that any donkey can be airborne in as much time as it takes to charge the battery and install the app (these current drones require almost no skill or learning curve to fly) is arguably the real problem. I have seen it first hand. Person sets up next to me, instant launch and out of sight. On enquiry I learn he is 300m up and way out of sight. Second outing with the new toy and I have no reason not to accept the explanation they had no idea of the regulations.

Tend to agree but, as previously mentioned, you only have to look on this forum to see tons of dodgy content posted by people who have no excuse to be ignorant of the regulations. If you're a member of this forum it would be pretty much impossible not to see all of the CASA / FAA etc regulations that are constantly referred to.

I agree - it's confusing. In the Business Intelligence and Analytics industry, there is a concept called "single source of the truth". CASA should be taking more care in this regard - it would seem that there may be a lack of effort in terms of website content governance.
I agree it can be confusing but it is worth noting that there are different levels of rules for different credentials with CASA and drones.
You are welcome to try to interpret the laws as written in the Federal Register of Legislation, it's available on the web but without a law degree that isn't very easy. CASA produce a plain English interpretation of this in the form of an Advisory Circular. Then to make it really simple a 1 page list of bullet points for the more basic use.
1. Recreational use, abide by the 1 page of rules on the CASA website.
2. Licensed pilots (RePL) & licensed commercial sub 2kg, Advisory Circulars are where your operation boundaries will be found.
3. Licensed with a commercial operator certificate (RePL + ReOC). Federal legislation pages + Advisory Circulars + Manual of Standards are where your operational limitations can be defined.

Drones are still new for CASA and the law makers, their focus is the thousands of airlines and operations going on at any given time. As a community, everyone should put some time into understanding the regulations from the appropriate authorities.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Thankfully, the number of personal injury and damage reports from drone crashes seems far smaller (tiny, even?) relative to illicit flights, documented and otherwise, apparently occurring in defiance of today's rigorous rules, at least from my view as an engaged drone enthusiast and online community member for the past 18 months in the States.

Hopefully, this indicates modern recreational drones are much safer and more reliable than the general public and authorities fear, even in the hands of under-informed and intentionally unlawful flyers.

Interestingly, with just one exception (Hoi An, Vietnam at night), I've truly yet to observe any overhead drones I'd consider improperly or dangerously flown, in all my travels to very desirable aerial photography locales.

In other words, I'm not sure I see any serious current or future problem proving a need to maintain or tighten already strict rules like CASA's 30m distance requirement. The novelty of recreational droning will fade, aircraft will get smaller/lighter/quieter/safer (e.g. the new Mavic Mini) and add more rigorous geofencing and other auto safety controls, and NFZ enforcement will become widespread, automated, and generally understood (think "speed cameras for the sky").

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03