DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Mavic Mini

“I love my iPads but a used Mini is still around the $300 range...”

I recently started flying my Mini with an iPad Mini 4: refurbished, wifi only (tethered to my iPhone for maps not previously saved on iPad Mini 4) from reputable eBay seller. It’s a bigger step up in flying/viewing quality than I thought it would be.

But here’s a guide that gets shared everywhere on this forum: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

ONN 8 (Walmart cheapo tablet) works perfect...and is not on that list...lol...why?....is too cheap...?

Am in Canada...cannot find here...imported the thing at great price (65$) from New York...

Attachments

• 20200225_164211.jpg
    20200225_164211.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 20200225_164641.jpg
    20200225_164641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200225_165137.jpg
    20200225_165137.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi bud...

Got cheapo ONN 8 tablet from walmart...65$ can...android 9...the thing is amazingly working well with DJI Fly!

shhhhh...well kept secret...lol :)

I bought an ONN from Walmart today. When I go to the App Store tho it does not offer the DJI Fly app. Just the DJI Go. Is there a trick to it?

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8.0", 2019). MUST BE MODEL SM-T290 TO WORK. Side load of DJI Fly necessary, dowload form DJI Website. Works great.

ONN 8 (Walmart cheapo tablet) works perfect...and is not on that list...lol...why?....is too cheap...?

Am in Canada...cannot find here...imported the thing at great price (65$) from New York...

They are showing as out of stock on the Walmart website. Can't order.

I am in Canada also and may have to do the same. From all reports it seems to work fine, i was worried there would be some lag and choppy video on such a low priced tablet but no one has reported any.

I am in Canada also and may have to do the same. From all reports it seems to work fine, i was worried there would be some lag and choppy video on such a low priced tablet but no one has reported any.
I see a bunch on ebay for about 70$ cdn...but android 8.1...I think mine updated itself to android 9 when I first booted it...

I drove down to my local Walmart and they had plenty of these 8 inchers on the shelf (even though the website states they are out of stock everywhere). I asked about the return policy and it is 30 days so I figured I would try one out. My observations are as follows:

1. The DJI Fly app installed easily with the APK. It does not show up in the Playstore.
2. I tested flying inside and everything seemed to work properly. Note that the tablet has a micro USB, not USB C. I had to a USB C to Micro adapter with my longer cable but it worked fine.
3. The screen quality is actually pretty good (colors, contrast, sharpness), just keep expectations in line. This is not a high end device.
4. I did a flying test outdoors and everything seemed to work OK. The screen is hard to see on a very cloudy day (brightness turned up to 100%). I don't think the screen will be very visible on a sunny day.
5. The tablet has NO Compass or Gyro hardware. I downloaded a hardware checker app and confirmed this. I do not know if this is critical to the functioning of the Mini. The locator icon was very inaccurate on the screen.
6. I'm not sure if I will keep the tablet. I'll try it outside on a brighter day, but not holding my breath.
7. I am concerned about the lack of compass and gyro hardware on the device. If anyone knows if this could cause an issue, please let me know.

I'll gladly answer any questions.

I drove down to my local Walmart and they had plenty of these 8 inchers on the shelf (even though the website states they are out of stock everywhere). I asked about the return policy and it is 30 days so I figured I would try one out. My observations are as follows:

1. The DJI Fly app installed easily with the APK. It does not show up in the Playstore.
2. I tested flying inside and everything seemed to work properly. Note that the tablet has a micro USB, not USB C. I had to a USB C to Micro adapter with my longer cable but it worked fine.
3. The screen quality is actually pretty good (colors, contrast, sharpness), just keep expectations in line. This is not a high end device.
4. I did a flying test outdoors and everything seemed to work OK. The screen is hard to see on a very cloudy day (brightness turned up to 100%). I don't think the screen will be very visible on a sunny day.
5. The tablet has NO Compass or Gyro hardware. I downloaded a hardware checker app and confirmed this. I do not know if this is critical to the functioning of the Mini. The locator icon was very inaccurate on the screen.
6. I'm not sure if I will keep the tablet. I'll try it outside on a brighter day, but not holding my breath.
7. I am concerned about the lack of compass and gyro hardware on the device. If anyone knows if this could cause an issue, please let me know.

I'll gladly answer any questions.
I have same locator inaccuracy on Samsung Galaxy S6...which is supported and yeah, a simple cardboard contraption will help with screen. What you paid...35$ USD...?

I have same locator inaccuracy on Samsung Galaxy S6...which is supported and yeah, a simple cardboard contraption will help with screen. What you paid...35$ USD...?
I paid 64 plus tax. 70USD total. I'm not saying it is not a bargain, just concerned about usability outdoors.

I paid 64 plus tax. 70USD total. I'm not saying it is not a bargain, just concerned about usability outdoors.

...thx for info...btw, what app did u use for hardware check plz...?

...and, 38$ USD here:

Last edited:

...and, 38$ USD here:

Yes, I saw the one on Ebay. They are "reconditioned". I haven't had good luck with reconditioned electronics. YMMV. There are many hardware checking apps in the Playstore. I like "Droid Hardware Info" and "Device Info".

Make sure the Ipad 2 or any for that matter is Cellular, thou you do not need to activate the cell, this way home points are updated automatically. You can use wifi only but not as good.
I have a Mini 2 for sale on ebay that is flawless and is cellular as well plus its 32gb

Update: good i missed the 4g part Borghi. :)

Reactions: Borghi

...and, 38$ USD here:

I just ordered that one yesterday

Worth a shot for the cheap price. Android 9
5f2647f069e45f2d2b3eab84856a8d1e.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) WiFi 32GB 2GB RAM SM-T290 bought on Amazon 140 euros, to be able to use it with dji fly.
It works fine, it's not too big but not small, 8-inch screen. perfect for me and I recommend it!

Reactions: lobstaman

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada