DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for the Mini 2

Hi 1 TenaciousG......My new Apple I Pad 2017 5th Gen measures 6.6 inches in Height. I purchased the
Extender from Drone Valley and it is made very Solid, however it does Extend the Antenna Bracket tall enough
to Hold the Ipad, so I'm screwed there, but I can make it work.
Can you tell me if the your DJI RC-N1 Tablet mount will open up to at least 6.6 inches?? before I buy one.??
I will also look at the DJI web Site and put eyes on it....Thank you for your Feedback...Ron
I'm not sure, but I'll measure it today. I CAN say that it holds my 6th Generation iPad, with room to spare, though. I'll update as soon as I know more.

Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4 works great for me. I think 8 inch screen is just the right size. You can clearly see where you going but its not too bulky or too heavy.

Reactions: March411
I have a question about the compass.
What do you lose or dont have if the tablet doesn't have a compass?

How do I check to see if a tablet does have a compass?

I'm thinking of getting a samsung tablet to use with a mini 2.

I have a question about the compass.
What do you lose or dont have if the tablet doesn't have a compass?

How do I check to see if a tablet does have a compass?

I'm thinking of getting a samsung tablet to use with a mini 2.
you will not have which way the drone is pointing on the screen so if you lost sight of it and RTH did not work you would not be able to tell which way your drone was facing to bring it home manually.I tried 3 tablets all of which worked the app but had no compass on and another member on here recomended a Huawie M5 10".I bought a second hand M5 Lite wifi only and it had a compass on which works brilliant and to be honest is the best tablet I have had. I hope this helps you decide.There is plenty advice on here about tablets and you always have google. Dont forget you can not download the fly app from google store you will need to download it from DJI website

you will not have which way the drone is pointing on the screen so if you lost sight of it and RTH did not work you would not be able to tell which way your drone was facing to bring it home manually.
Not quite. If the tablet or phone doesn't have a compass, you won't know which way the controller is pointing in the display at the lower left of the Fly app screen. The drone still knows it's orientation and the home point is shown on the map. I flew my Air 2S for months without a tablet compass before upgrading to a new tablet.

Not quite. If the tablet or phone doesn't have a compass, you won't know which way the controller is pointing in the display at the lower left of the Fly app screen. The drone still knows it's orientation and the home point is shown on the map. I flew my Air 2S for months without a tablet compass before upgrading to a new tablet.
Its kind of obvious the drone knows its orientation and I have had drones with RTH that didn`t need a compass ,but if you want to know which way your mavic mini 2 is flying then you need a working compass to be on the safe side,if I am wrong I stand corrected 🤔

Has a compass, works out very nicely and you can get a used one fairly cheap.

Has a compass, works out very nicely and you can get a used one fairly cheap.

Its kind of obvious the drone knows its orientation and I have had drones with RTH that didn`t need a compass ,but if you want to know which way your mavic mini 2 is flying then you need a working compass to be on the safe side,if I am wrong I stand corrected
Its kind of obvious the drone knows its orientation and I have had drones with RTH that didn`t need a compass ,but if you want to know which way your mavic mini 2 is flying then you need a working compass to be on the safe side,if I am wrong I stand corrected 🤔

The drone's course (or track) is plotted on the tablet's map, using the drone's location per its GPS, along with the route back to the home point.

I use an iPad Mini 6, it's the perfect size for carrying around. For me the whole point of the Mini2 is keeping weight and gear load down.
I just got this tablet holder, and it's brilliant. It wraps around the controller when you're not using it so the load is barely impacted - Xingsiyue Tablet Extended Holder with Neck Lanyard Compatible with DJI Mini 2/Air 2S/Mavic Air 2 Drone - Free of Dismantling Foldable Support Clip Adjustable Stand: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It fits the iPad Mini and standard iPad really well. I haven't tried it with the iPad Pro as that thing weighs a ton.

I'll just add my .02c. I was thrilled to get an Asus ZenPad Z8S because it works with DJI Fly and has a good sized screen. Then I noticed that I could only get low resolution screen capture video (a must for me) -- maybe others have better luck, and I noticed that in flight video streaming was consistently glitchy. Maybe five or ten times in a 15 minute flight, and only a moment each time. But -- each glitch could be loss of signal, so it's stressful experiencing it and waiting for it, at least for me. And again, ymmv, so there's that.

I decided to get an iPad Mini 5 (they've been comparatively cheap since the version 6 roll out last December. Wow! World of difference). Never regretted a 250USD purchase less. I really recommend shelling out the bucks to get hardware that can handle the load without strain. Not only are you getting a better operations experience, but you're contributing to public safety too, through running tight spec equipment. It's a win win.

Just my .02c.

Last edited:
I'll just add my .02c. I was thrilled to get an Asus ZenPad Z8S because it works with DJI Fly and has a good sized screen. Then I noticed that I could only get low resolution screen capture video (a must for me) -- maybe others have better luck, and I noticed that in flight video streaming was consistently glitchy. Maybe five or ten times in a 15 minute flight, and only a moment each time. But -- each glitch could be loss of signal, so it's stressful experiencing it and waiting for it, at least for me. And again, ymmv, so there's that.

I decided to get an iPad Mini 5 (they've been comparatively cheap since the version 6 roll out last December. Wow! World of difference). Never regretted a 250USD purchase less. I really recommend shelling out the bucks to get hardware that can handle the load without strain. Not only are you getting a better operations experience, but you're contributing to public safety too, through running tight spec equipment. It's a win win.

Just my .02c.
Where are you finding the mini 5 for $250?

Where are you finding the mini 5 for $250?
Hmm. I found mine via Craigslist, last month. As we speak (03MAR2022) I see $267USD being offered as the top result on Ebay.com for search term "iPad Mini 5": (the link seems to be fifteen lines long). It seems that the supply may have dried up somewhat and the prices may have begun to go up. There was a buyer's market, briefly, in January, right after the Mini 6 was released.

Even at $350USD, I can vouchsafe personally, fwiw, that it's a fine device. I fully understand that the difference between $85- for a ZenPad and $267- for an iPad Mini 5 is a meaningful gap. I totally get that -- I myself am a bargain hunter.

I can only say, in good faith and in sincerety, and speaking as not a huge fan of Apple overall, that the iPad Min5 is a really fine device to use with the DJI Mini 2 / DJI Fly / Litchi!

I hope you find what you need!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986