DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablets vs phones

I wanted to use a Samsung Galaxy View, but couldn't find a tablet holder large enough for an 18.4" tablet.:D
Mines a 32in crt tv, just keep it on the floor. You know how heavy they are.

20180912_104527.jpg

Another example
1B010CE1-4DA3-4383-AAFD-313B9581197A.jpeg

I use IPad mini and for me its the top!
I was using a phone before that, but now, I can see the whole image on the screen, avoiding app infos to hide top and bottom of the image. i
Its a little bit heavier than my phone, (but in a backpack, with drone/RC and stuffs, I didnt notice any big change in global weight)but it really worth it while flying...
Only one bad point: the screen is like a miror, when you're under sunny light, you'll have some trouble to see correctly if you setted a good exposure or a good focus...

Most of the time I use 12" Ipad Pro. I got dedicated iphone 7plus as a backup. When possible I utilize my truck bed gate as a table.

I'm either using an iPhone 8 or a 10" tablet (Lenovo Tab4 plus 10). I like the fact that when using the iPhone I'm not wasting remote power to try to charge the phone, while using the tablet the remote powers it.

I am going to wake this post up as I realized something recently when my ipad mini 2 would not work and was forced to use a smaller device - samsung s8 - wow what a difference between the 2.

Both are running separate versions of Go4 but they are the most updated for ios and android respectively - 99 percent of the time i fly with the ipad mini2 tablet.

So the ipad gives you a much bigger screen but you don''t get an option to download the offline maps - so I pair it with my samsung so the maps update as I fly - I like the additional arrow map on the bottom left and of course the bigger viewing screen.

Samsung 8 phone is a much nicer true color of what the drone is seeing and the option to download the offline maps is definitely a bonus. Plus return to your smart phones location is also a bonus. I really miss the arrow map - be nice to be able to toggle between the arrow map and the aerial map.

Maybe I just need to upgrade to a bigger android tablet to get the true picture of what the drone is seeing and forgo the return to smart phone location option which is not used much.

So the ipad gives you a much bigger screen but you don''t get an option to download the offline maps - so I pair it with my samsung so the maps update as I fly - I like the additional arrow map on the bottom left and of course the bigger viewing screen.

Samsung 8 phone is a much nicer true color of what the drone is seeing and the option to download the offline maps is definitely a bonus. Plus return to your smart phones location is also a bonus. I really miss the arrow map - be nice to be able to toggle between the arrow map and the aerial map.

Maybe I just need to upgrade to a bigger android tablet to get the true picture of what the drone is seeing and forgo the return to smart phone location option which is not used much.
Your phone is giving you the ability to download maps online, but without it you can download maps at home to use when you fly (if you really need maps).
You should be able to use the return to controller function with any phone or tablet with onboard GPS - that's almost any device except wifi only iPods.
You should be able to toggle between maps and radar display with any device.

Your phone is giving you the ability to download maps online, but without it you can download maps at home to use when you fly (if you really need maps).
You should be able to use the return to controller function with any phone or tablet with onboard GPS - that's almost any device except wifi only iPods.
You should be able to toggle between maps and radar display with any device.

I get your point Meta4 but why don't I get that same option on ios on my ipad mini2??

I get your point Meta4 but why don't I get that same option on ios on my ipad mini2??
I can't speak for the Mini app but it used to be possible with Apple devices in DJI Go 4.
But for the last year there's been a mystery problem that just doesn't see the GPS from the Apple device.

I see what you mean now - so you think due to the ipad mini not having a built in GPS it doesn't give that option to download (ie. would not know where to hone in in) whereas the Samsung 8 does - I am going to do a print screen of each and add it to my next post.

Here are the slight differences and versions

Attachments

• Android.jpg
    Android.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IOS.jpg
    IOS.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 14
So anyone viewing this and uses a IOS device (like a tablet version not an iPhone) do you have the option to download offline maps ??

I see what you mean now - so you think due to the ipad mini not having a built in GPS it doesn't give that option to download (ie. would not know where to hone in in) whereas the Samsung 8 does - I am going to do a print screen of each and add it to my next post.
This is a little confused.
Having a GPS makes no difference to downloading maps.
Even without a GPS in the iPad, the app has location data from the drone if connected.
Or you can manually scroll around the area of interest in the map box using wifi or a hotspot from your phone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf