DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking By POLICE

so where is the current info found?

Here.

The FAA has been very bad about providing timely updates to this (which dates from 2016). Even their own public relations office thinks this is more recent. I was able to confirm with the AMA Govt Relations POC that this is it.

It clearly states what LEOs should do to assist the FAA, and applies to model ac and UAS, as discussed.

Attachments

• FAA Guidance to Local Law Enforcement.pdf
    872.3 KB · Views: 10
Note to self:
If LEO asks if I have a drone the correct answer is “do you have a search warrant?”

Best answer to any officer of the law local or otherwise is, "...I want to call my attorney...". Then bite your lip and shut your mouth. Always keep in mind the Miranda warning(Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436 (1966) ,"...anything you say can be used against you...".

Finally, in Frazier v. Cupp, 394 U.S. 731 (1969) United States Supreme Court case that affirmed the legality of deceptive interrogation tactics. In layman's terms the police can and will lie.

Reactions: Brojon
Here.

The FAA has been very bad about providing timely updates to this (which dates from 2016). Even their own public relations office thinks this is more recent. I was able to confirm with the AMA Govt Relations POC that this is it.

It clearly states what LEOs should do to assist the FAA, and applies to model ac and UAS, as discussed.
This is a dated document. It cited section 336 which is no longer law.

This is a dated document. It cited section 336 which is no longer law.

From my post: "The FAA has been very bad about providing timely updates to this (which dates from 2016). Even their own public relations office thinks this is more recent. I was able to confirm with the AMA Govt Relations POC that this is it."

So, once again, as far as guidance to LEOs goes, this is still the current guidance.

Maybe they will even put a date on the next version :rolleyes:

Criminal trespass requires a formal complaint and evidence that you violated someone’s property where, by example, it states “no trespassing”. I presume you didn’t land on someone’s property. Cops seldom file a criminal complaint unless they see the evidence first...pictures and signs and the individual is willing to file and go to court. A lot of work that cops avoid unless forced into doing it. Walking up to someone’s house is not even trespassing until you are asked to leave and don’t. There is something wrong here. My guess is it was someone else’s drone. Should have just said, not me. What is the basis for your assertion of a “criminal complaint”? Where is the formal written complaint? Does it identify me or are you just searching for someone that has a drone? Why are you even asking, “do I have a drone if there is a criminal complaint against me? Never answer a cop’s questions. If they didn’t witness the crime, make them show paperwork or state the basis for arresting you or tell them to go away. They can’t just allege you committed a murder because you own a gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
I was flying my drone from my own property, when as I landed five cops showed up to ask if I was flying. I said yes . They then asked to look at the drone if I would go get it. I did . I gave the drone but held the remote from them, they then as holding my drone started telling me how I was breaking the law. They stated under rule 107 I was flying at night ,and over people. I then told them I flew under a hobbyist rule not 107 rule. I gave them my paperwork and they couldn't say anything. They told me call the station in 5 days and I can get a police report, took my drone and left without fair reason .week past got report it had I criminal trespassed on it. AS of yesterday a month later , I was called to come get my drone from them. Along with the drone I was given a copy of a search warrant that was written the day after for my memory card etc. I was told they now were not gonna charge me for trespassing they needed some crime reason to get a warrant. Has this ever happened to you,? What are your thoughts?
If you have no crime and your drone back, you may want to chill a bit. But it does sound civil liberties were stomped on, so a local pro bono lawyer may want the "drone related publicity". I would have a lawyer if you are going to question police activities. My internet opinion.

Reactions: BigAl07
My first thought (taking into account it went down as stated) was the OP flew into some kind of stealth police surveillance or activity in progress and they overreacted. There is no common sense reason to send a group of officers to investigate a rouge drone flight. I doubt most LEO's actually know FAA regulations anyway and might react in a hostile manner if a drone came through their operation. I'm not one to argue or complain on site if police detain me and feel to say "I'm gonna lawyer up" is a bad move unless the lawyer is dirt cheap. Besides I can protest in a polite way on scene and follow up at a later date. Then if it gets sticky I can consider whether or not it's worth bringing in a lawyer.

I was flying my drone from my own property, when as I landed five cops showed up to ask if I was flying. I said yes . They then asked to look at the drone if I would go get it. I did . I gave the drone but held the remote from them, they then as holding my drone started telling me how I was breaking the law. They stated under rule 107 I was flying at night ,and over people. I then told them I flew under a hobbyist rule not 107 rule. I gave them my paperwork and they couldn't say anything. They told me call the station in 5 days and I can get a police report, took my drone and left without fair reason .week past got report it had I criminal trespassed on it. AS of yesterday a month later , I was called to come get my drone from them. Along with the drone I was given a copy of a search warrant that was written the day after for my memory card etc. I was told they now were not gonna charge me for trespassing they needed some crime reason to get a warrant. Has this ever happened to you,? What are your thoughts?
Sorry to hear your going through this. I have a service that can help. Pm and I’ll explain the process. Best of luck to you.

This is why I never fly at home. You never know if a neighbor will cause trouble, and you typically won't know who it is. I also don't want to make enemies with neighbors. It's always best to fly where you truly thinks it's legal to fly, outside your neighborhood.

In a case like this, it's easier to simply lie to the cop if he didn't see you flying. NEVER ADMIT to flying drones to a LEO if he didn't see you himself. Even if he sees your drone stuff after you have flown, you can say "I was getting ready to fly, I've seen others fly here, is that OK?" If he says no, then just apologize and leave.

In this case you could have said, oh yeah, my friend came by to show me his drone and flew it a little bit. He just left. Did he do something wrong? The cop can't force you to disclose any names of others. Or just deny knowing his last name. It ends there. Easier to lie about it, and you've learned a lesson of where not to fly.

Anytime I'm flying, I try to fly as stealth as best possible, mitigating the possibility of someone calling a LEO. This means I use a launch site where few can see me launch or navigate. My backpack allows me to easily hike to such places and fly with privacy. This also mitigates people from asking all those questions (how far, how long, etc). Sometimes I'll have to wait for the right time to launch, with the fewest people walking by. And after takeoff, I try to remain hard to see me, navigating with the remote for the duration of the flight, while staying somewhat hidden out of sight. I've been know to hide in bushes, for the shade and stealth benefits. Yes, sometimes this means flying FPV, practically the whole time.

Sometimes I'll elect to launch and navigate from INSIDE my car. I'll prepare the drone inside the car first, then quickly place the drone a few feet in front of the car and turn it on. Then I get back inside the car and wait for the right time to take off, with the least people nearby. This only recommended with Lightbridge/OcuSync equipped drones. I can usually fly up to a mile away from inside the car. If by chance a LEO shows up and starts looking around, I'll park the drone in the sky 300' high near the sun where most difficult to see, then drive my car blocks away to retrieve the drone (I've only had to do that once). If you ever have to do that, point the camera at the COP car so you can see if he leaves, or where he goes, after you drive away. Also, even when you don't suspect a LEO is in the area when landing in a busy area, look around your area with your drone camera for COP cars. You can see much better from up high than from inside your car. It's best to avoid versus confront.
Ya know this is good advice....the little tidbit about not flying from home....you are bound to have one neighbor that hate's drones. In my case there was this meth head that approached me one day on his bike, had 2 and a half teeth and was totally wacked out. Asked me not to fly it over his house etc (his house was 3 streets over) i guess from the air he thought i was right on top of him. I obliged Said sure no problem etc ....didn't really want to have a convo with the guy he smelled like doo doo....i really honestly didnt pay no mind as i don't really fly to often at house, usually just during testing etc .....so one day about a month later i was flying directly over my house, was watching drone at about 80 ft up and out of the corner of my eye i see this guy hauling butt down the street on his bike....well he threw a half stick (yes a half stick!) Right in front of my drive way it literally put a hole in the street and is not even funny throwing something like that as a joke....anyway by the time I look back he is around the corner and gone. i was in my driveway it scared the undies right off me and my right ear was aching .....fast forward 2 weeks....(now just a quick tidbit one of my neighbors has a spark and flies it all over the place.) well about two weeks later I was down at the shore had a great time....well walking in my door I hear the loudest bang again right outside of my house (i was not even flying! It was my neighbor) this time I hop in my car and chase him! He almost got away but I ended up catching him and almost catching a first degree murder charge....seriously it was bad. Just goes to show that even though u think you are not bothering someone sometimes you are, whether it be they are on drugs and totally whacked out. Or just a little paranoid. In my case this guy was a meth head and apparently lived at a house with a bunch of whackos....so maybe they were totally paranoid. Thinking back on it this guy threw 2 half sticks in front of my property and had no clue if I had a baby in the house or or an elderly person or anything like that. I mean these things were so loud I can't describe it. He did end up getting in lots of trouble. And yes i did bust him up....he deserved it tho. In the end should have let cops handle it from the start. I did let my emotions get the best of me. So these past 2 months i don't fly at the house. Not worth the hassle.

Ya know this is good advice....the little tidbit about not flying from home....you are bound to have one neighbor that hate's drones. In my case there was this meth head that approached me one day on his bike, had 2 and a half teeth and was totally wacked out. Asked me not to fly it over his house etc (his house was 3 streets over) i guess from the air he thought i was right on top of him. I obliged Said sure no problem etc ....didn't really want to have a convo with the guy he smelled like doo doo....i really honestly didnt pay no mind as i don't really fly to often at house, usually just during testing etc .....so one day about a month later i was flying directly over my house, was watching drone at about 80 ft up and out of the corner of my eye i see this guy hauling butt down the street on his bike....well he threw a half stick (yes a half stick!) Right in front of my drive way it literally put a hole in the street and is not even funny throwing something like that as a joke....anyway by the time I look back he is around the corner and gone. i was in my driveway it scared the undies right off me and my right ear was aching .....fast forward 2 weeks....(now just a quick tidbit one of my neighbors has a spark and flies it all over the place.) well about two weeks later I was down at the shore had a great time....well walking in my door I hear the loudest bang again right outside of my house (i was not even flying! It was my neighbor) this time I hop in my car and chase him! He almost got away but I ended up catching him and almost catching a first degree murder charge....seriously it was bad. Just goes to show that even though u think you are not bothering someone sometimes you are, whether it be they are on drugs and totally whacked out. Or just a little paranoid. In my case this guy was a meth head and apparently lived at a house with a bunch of whackos....so maybe they were totally paranoid. Thinking back on it this guy threw 2 half sticks in front of my property and had no clue if I had a baby in the house or or an elderly person or anything like that. I mean these things were so loud I can't describe it. He did end up getting in lots of trouble. And yes i did bust him up....he deserved it tho. In the end should have let cops handle it from the start. I did let my emotions get the best of me. So these past 2 months i don't fly at the house. Not worth the hassle.

So a stick is like fire works or dynamite or something?

I always fly from home and nobody better ever say anything about it. What I do at my house is nobody business period.

Ok I w
WRONG! That rule/regulation is only for Part 107 operations. Hobby/Recreational can fly at night (currently).

You're mixing Part 107 and Hobby rules and that's not how this works.

Hobby/Recreational CAN fly at night so long as they follow ALL other hobby rules AND they are flying in Class G airspace.

Part 107 can only fly at night if they are in Class-G airspace AND they have ~107.29 (Daylight Waiver).

That's not a RECENT rule change... HOBBY have been allowed to fly at night all along and the most recent rule changes did not touch on Night Flight what so ever.

Hobby/Recreational operations can not (currently) get any Waivers... nothing under ~44809 allow any "waiverable" conditions and doesn't even mention Daylight/Night flights at all.

I checked and you are right. I did think commercial and recreational rules about flying at night were the same. I was wrong.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929