DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking photos and videos without cell service or wifi with Mavic Air 2S

Kleem

Reactions
How do you take photos or videos on the 2S without the app on your cellphone? I was at the ocean without cell service and wanted to fly for some videos and photos

Welcome.
Use the buttons on the controller. Lining the shot would be the tricky bit and, at a guess, you might be height and distance limited.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
How do you take photos or videos on the 2S without the app on your cellphone? I was at the ocean without cell service and wanted to fly for some videos and photos
You do not need cell service to use the app. Many pilots put their cell phone in "airplane" mode to shut off all cell and wifi when using the app.

then how do you know if you are shooting videos or photos?

The app on the phone/tablet gets its info from the cable (USB) that goes to the REMOTE. The feed from the drone is its own signal (not WIFI or Cell) that signal/feed from the drone is received by the remote then sent over the cable to the app on the phone....Why, how have YOU had it hooked up??

You DO NOT need ANY internet/WIFI/Cell connection for the drone and app to work!!

Reactions: maggior
The big dot on the right side of the app (that you press) is white for photos and red for video.

How do you take photos or videos on the 2S without the app on your cellphone?
Does the question not imply that the OP did not have the app installed on the phone that they had with they at the time or that perhaps the phone was unavailable?

Does the question not imply that the OP did not have the app installed on the phone that they had with they at the time or that perhaps the phone was unavailable?
Well, it could be interpreted that way but I think that there is a major misconception/lack of understanding on the OP's part of the basic function? I hope that the replies will help and maybe they ( the OP) might add some more info?

The OP asked two different questions.
The title of his thread asks one: Taking photos and videos without cell service or wifi.
Then he asks a different question: How do you take photos or videos on the 2S without the app on your cellphone?
But follows that by going back to the question in the thread title: I was at the ocean without cell service.
What that implies is confusion on the OP's part.

The most likely explanation is that he was asking about cell service, possibly assuming that the app won't work without it.
But you would have to wait for the OP to clarify what he meant.

No cell service / Internet required when using a phone or tablet. The connection between the Remote Controller (which one do you have - Smart or Regular Controller), FlyApp, and drone are done with DJI's Occusync technology. To switch from Camera to Video - on the regular remote is the little button on the upper right of the controller, next to the right joystick. It toggles camera / video mode and the button on the right front of of the controller is the shutter button.

Highly suggest watching a bunch of YouTube videos for beginners to understand most of the basic functions or even reading the Owner's Manual (which we all hate to do).

Flying a $1k drone and not knowing how it operates, esp around ocean / water is a recipe for disaster. We all start somewhere and many of the video's (not all) on YouTube can be quite explanatory. Many are fluff and full of misinfo too - so don't buy into the hype that you can fly your drone 5 miles out and it be within the rules. The FAA also has a test each drone pilot MUST take and have the certificate with them when flying a drone - even for Rec Purposes. It's called the "TRUST TEST." and it provides some key knowledge points esp for beginners to stay legal.

Welcome to the MavicPilots forum…. Enjoy, and Happy flying! ??

The app on the phone/tablet gets its info from the cable (USB) that goes to the REMOTE. The feed from the drone is its own signal (not WIFI or Cell) that signal/feed from the drone is received by the remote then sent over the cable to the app on the phone....Why, how have YOU had it hooked up??
connected normally from controller to phone

No cell service / Internet required when using a phone or tablet. The connection between the Remote Controller (which one do you have - Smart or Regular Controller), FlyApp, and drone are done with DJI's Occusync technology. To switch from Camera to Video - on the regular remote is the little button on the upper right of the controller, next to the right joystick. It toggles camera / video mode and the button on the right front of of the controller is the shutter button.

Highly suggest watching a bunch of YouTube videos for beginners to understand most of the basic functions or even reading the Owner's Manual (which we all hate to do).

Flying a $1k drone and not knowing how it operates, esp around ocean / water is a recipe for disaster. We all start somewhere and many of the video's (not all) on YouTube can be quite explanatory. Many are fluff and full of misinfo too - so don't buy into the hype that you can fly your drone 5 miles out and it be within the rules. The FAA also has a test each drone pilot MUST take and have the certificate with them when flying a drone - even for Rec Purposes. It's called the "TRUST TEST." and it provides some key knowledge points esp for beginners to stay legal.
thanks will try that next time

You DO NOT need ANY internet/WIFI/Cell connection for the drone and app to work!!
but I received a no wifi connection error and the app wouldn't function.....guessing airplane mode might have fixed that?

but I received a no wifi connection error and the app wouldn't function.....guessing airplane mode might have fixed that?
What you are trying to do, or what problem you encountered is not clear from your posts here.
You are going to have to explain yourself in more detail if you want help.

What you are trying to do, or what problem you encountered is not clear from your posts here.
You are going to have to explain yourself in more detail if you want help.
I was at the ocean trying to take photos and videos with the dji fly app but I didn't have cell phone service or wifi so I had to fly without it and wasn't sure how to take photos or videos without the app and being to see what the drone sees

I was at the ocean trying to take photos and videos with the dji fly app but I didn't have cell phone service or wifi so I had to fly without it and wasn't sure how to take photos or videos without the app and being to see what the drone sees
You can fly anywhere .. in the middle of the ocean, middle of the Sahara desert and it makes no difference.
You don't need cell service.
Your drone and camera will work just fine.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You don't need wifi for the app to connect to the drone!!.If you're in an area without cell service that's the perfect spot for ultimate shooting........no interference. And your phone battery will last 5 days ?

Reactions: infohou
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman