DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Talk about a rip off!

shb

Reactions
I was just checking the price of a mavic 3 pro from Amazon. I live in the Philippines. It's about $2,200 but they want $1,700 for a duty deposit! I know the total tax rate including VAT and duty here in the Philippines, and it's 17%. So wtf are they doing? And they say free shipping. We know that's bs.

Screenshot_20230731-095037_Opera.jpg

Could be a misprint. Have you contacted Amazon about it yet? They are the Seller on the listing.

Looks like 80% of the price of the product; perhaps someone is confused by the math (instead of 20%).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That says import charges so it customs duties which every person needs to pay to import items over a certain value unless you are a business importer - Well that's how it works in New Zealand. We pay import charges for items over $1000.00
Indeed, but your NZ Amazon screenshot shows it to be 27% and not 80% of the price! Can the Philippines import charges be three times those of New Zealand and 80% of the purchase price?

Indeed, but your NZ Amazon screenshot shows it to be 25% and not 80% of the price! Can the Philippines import charges be 3x+ those of New Zealand?
It could be. When I was living in South Africa and used to buy from eBay and Amazon the import charges used to be ridiculous, almost the same price of the item for certain things. Dji prices are regulated by Dji but maybe that seller is just too high, he should look around on Amazon and find cheaper options, I always do

I was just checking the price of a mavic 3 pro from Amazon. I live in the Philippines. It's about $2,200 but they want $1,700 for a duty deposit! I know the total tax rate including VAT and duty here in the Philippines, and it's 17%. So wtf are they doing? And they say free shipping. We know that's bs.

View attachment 166572
Probably cheaper for you to fly to Bangkok and pick one up here? They're about the same price as amazon listed. (or fly me over :cool:)

Last edited:
best buy it from a seller in the Philippines on Amazon and avoid the duty

Probably cheaper for you to fly to Bangkok and pick one up here? They're about the same price as amazon listed. (or fly me over :cool:)
I just bought the mavic 3 pro fly more combo in Thailand in June, and it was B90,000, which is a little less than $3,000. I didn't want the fly more combo, but that's all they had. As I said before, taxes and duties in the Philippines add up to 17%, so Amazon is just pretending it's free shipping, but ripping you off on the duty. It's very hard to contact Amazon these days. You used to be able to email them, but they've made it more difficult.

There's a link there that says "visit the DJI store" It may be shipped and sold by Amazon but it's an official DJI store under their control. Contact DJI via their website (dji.com) direct and get clarity.

I just bought the mavic 3 pro fly more combo in Thailand in June, and it was B90,000, which is a little less than $3,000. I didn't want the fly more combo, but that's all they had. As I said before, taxes and duties in the Philippines add up to 17%, so Amazon is just pretending it's free shipping, but ripping you off on the duty. It's very hard to contact Amazon these days. You used to be able to email them, but they've made it more difficult.
The toll free Amazon phone number is 866-216-1072 in the U.S.
Not sure if you can call it from the Philippines, but maybe over an internet call?

Last edited:
Reactions: shb
That says import charges so it customs duties which every person needs to pay to import items over a certain value unless you are a business importer - Well that's how it works in New Zealand. We pay import charges for items over $1000.00
But what is the percentage of the value you pay over the cost of the item? 20% or 80%? A bit of a difference...

View attachment 166572
Wow it's probably cheaper to fly to Hawaii (maybe even Guam if there's a reseller there) and pay their 4% or 5% state tax.

Wow it's probably cheaper to fly to Hawaii (maybe even Guam if there's a reseller there) and pay their 4% or 5% state tax.
From the Philippines, it's a much shorter flight to Hong Kong. Thailand is another option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13