DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Talking to ATC via radio ??

Captain Lou

CRAZ-E-LOU
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was wondering if we’re able to use two way radio to contact air traffic control? I see that some people call on phone but on the sectional maps they give you the tower frequencies.... are we able to use them ?

I was wondering if we’re able to use two way radio to contact air traffic control? I see that some people call on phone but on the sectional maps they give you the tower frequencies.... are we able to use them ?

Only in emergencies - not for notification of flights.

Reactions: GregD
Don’t contact ATC via radio, you may listen on the radio to have an idea of incoming and outgoing traffic.

If you need pre ATC authorization you need to contact the tower or airport manager depending if it had a tower or not via PHONE.

Certain circumstances with waivers may require you to call out to ATC via radio but this would be known ahead of time in the waiver and be noted and they will even guide you on what you need to say when on the radio.

It's highly unlikely that you'd be able to reach an ATC tower from the ground with a handheld radio unless you were pretty much at the airport. And as posted above, talking on ATC frequencies unless you're a controller or a pilot (of airplanes) is a big no-no. Also check out liveatc.net. You can listen to ATC chatter from your cell phone without having to buy an expensive VHF radio.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d