DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tap-to-Fly Crash Using DJI Goggles

IndianaHoosiers

Reactions
Okay, so this is at least mostly pilot error but I still need to vent about it.

I received my DJI goggles this afternoon and was on my maiden voyage with them. Everything was going fantastic at first; the goggles are incredible (I have had the Mavic for about two months and consider myself to be a capable pilot during normal operation). Then I flipped the 5D stick down as usual to point the camera at the ground to land...except that the 5D vertical flip no longer controlled the camera; it controlled the flight mode.

Somehow in this mess (it happened VERY quickly; I have not yet attempted to reproduce the issue), I ended up in Tap-to-Fly mode, which I have never used before and was unaware of how it worked. All of a sudden my Mavic is driving directly towards the street with that stupid green arrow line and all I see in the goggles is my altitude dropping like I'm in a death spiral with two dead sticks. This all happened so quickly that I wasn't even aware of what happened at first; it wasn't until I researched the issue afterwards that I realized that Tap-to-Fly was a flight mode.

The first thing I did was hit that pause button which had no effect. Luckily, in my panic and button mashing of the controller, I tapped somewhere on my iPhone screen that yawed the Mavic to the right so that it hit one of my neighbor's large white pines, followed by a drop in to nice, soft bushes. I was very lucky; it could just as easily hit someone or something not so forgiving. Needless to say, I was freaked out. Luckily, the Magic didn't have a scratch on it (but I did have to clean pine tar off of it for about 15 minutes).

There are two lessons to be learned here. One; I am an idiot for not being familiar with all flight modes of the Mavic, although, in my defense, I was aware of how to change flight modes when not connected to the goggles and have actively avoided using any modes that I was unfamiliar with up this point. I accept that this was my fault and will be studying all capabilities of the craft before I put it back in the air.

Second (this is the venting part), the Tap-to-Fly mode was activated while I was wearing goggles that have no screen capable of tapping. Even if I knew what I was doing, I would have had to flip the goggles up corrected the flight path on my phone prior to impact (I was at ~150 feet but, had I been lower, this could be an issue); what would have happened if I didn't have a phone connected? Furthermore, even though I have since figured out what I should have done (5D stick again and switch back to normal operation), I have to wonder why DJI would consider screwing with the basic controls of the Mavic (i.e., the 5D stick controls) when connected to goggles without some type of explicit warning. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Other pertinent information: I was not in sport mode; however, the Mavic still did not stop when approaching the tree. My research found that this is common in Tap-to-Fly mode and may need to be addressed in a future firmware update.

Let me know what you think; is this entirely on my or am I right that there should be some software modifications to keep this from happening? I am okay with this being considered completely pilot error but the changing of the stick controls when connected to goggles is really going to stick in my crawl. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

the Tap-to-Fly mode was activated while I was wearing goggles that have no screen capable of tapping.
It is, you aim with your head and tap the pad (or click the 5D button...)

what would have happened if I didn't have a phone connected?
You'd have used the sport mode switch to exit any intelligent mode, which you should also have done there. It's your "panic button".

I have to wonder why DJI would consider screwing with the basic controls of the Mavic (i.e., the 5D stick controls) when connected to goggles without some type of explicit warning.
You did get a warning when you bound the goggles. And there's of course a big warning in the goggles' manual.

The goggles do in fact support Tap-to-Fly- there is a cursor you can move around to "point" where you want to fly. But of course in your moment of panic, there is no way you could have known that.

Sorry about your crash... I guess you got lucky this time.

Reactions: avanti1963
Flying with goggles is like driving a sports car while watching through binoculars.
It's irresponsible because you have no situational awareness. Only the tunnel in front of you.
It finally renders the proud Mavic Pro into the first person video game that a lot of people expected it to be in the first place.

I can't help it, I'm a freak when it comes to safety and risk mitigation.

Okay, so this is at least mostly pilot error
Wearing the goggles while flying is indeed a pilot error. It's nice for a bystander to watch through while you are flying, but you shouldn't use it as a pilot. No matter what DJI advertises.

I am flying all types of copters, even a helicopter with goggles since 2009 and NEVER EVER had any issues. From my point of view, flying with goggles is the most safe way of flying, as you are virtually sitting within the aircraft and will react to any situation much more quickly than you would do with only outside view or even worse, if changing your view from copter to monitor and vice versa. It is true that you don't see what's happening behind the copter, but with normal sight you don't really know, too, as it is very difficult to estimate distances.
It needs some training as all things do, but if you are familiar with, it will be safe.

Reactions: geigy and Kilrah
IndianaHoosiers, Thanks for sharing your missfortune with us. Personally I hesitate to use the 5D button and I allways use the left hand wheel (Gimbal Dial) for tilting the camera up or down. I have not got my goggles yet and will carefully go through how and when to use them.

Typical of people without experience who have no actual idea of what they're talking about. Even just the very simple issue of knowing relative distances from you that is always a problem and a major source of crashes when flying models not being an issue in FPV anymore makes it an order of magnitude safer and easier.

About the 5D button I'd like to have a setting to choose whether it controls the goggles or keeps it the usual way.

Thanks for sharing your story - this may save several people from going through the same thing.

The pause button is another way to get some thinking time when a flight mode goes south on you.

Reactions: IndianaHoosiers
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S