DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tell It To the Judge...

"Tell them now that you know" what? He didn't break the law so why in the world would he say he won't do it again? OP is going there to explain the law to them (sad) and hopefully get it dismissed--

Sure, he can elect to argue with the judge after the judge has made his arbitrary decision. Will that help get his fine reduced. I dont think so. In a kangaroo court, nobody wins but the court. (no disrespect meant to my Aussie friends. It's an American quote, I believe)

Once again, this topic has wrongly turned into a discussion of airspace.
That is not what the OP's violation is about.
It's exactly what this is about--the OP said they told him "flying over the space was prohibited" and ticketed him for it--but who knows where he was or what was posted nearby--in which case I would agree with you but OP didn't give us all the other details

That's the problem on these forums--never enough detail--then when we all get to talking about it the moderator here shuts it all down--mod confuses disagreements with disrespect or something--my 2 cents

Sure, he can elect to argue with the judge after the judge has made his arbitrary decision. Will that help get his fine reduced. I dont think so. In a kangaroo court, nobody wins but the court. (no disrespect meant to my Aussie friends. It's an American quote, I believe)
I never said to argue with a judge--you said that--I taught my kids to be polite; respectful; but to stand up for what is right--arguing with a judge--would not be respectful--do not confuse pleading with arguing--anyway good discussion and can't wait to find out the outcome

I never said to argue with a judge--you said that--I taught my kids to be polite; respectful; but to stand up for what is right--arguing with a judge--would not be respectful--do not confuse pleading with arguing--anyway good discussion and can't wait to find out the outcome

I think you are confusing pleading and arguing. Pleading is a formal written statement of a party's claims or defenses. Oral arguments are spoken to a judge of the legal reasons why they should prevail. Arguments in court are part of the judicial process. Once the judge has made his decision, he can lessen or raise the fine based on the defendants demeanor and remorse. (I learned that while studying for the LSAT.)

I'm afraid that more posts like this one are appearing and we do not have legal help ... I have not had my first confrontation with the law .. but it seems that they try to frighten us sometimes when I'm flying in my head I just wait for the moment when someone get close to saying something

Reactions: Former Member
In layman's terms, arguing connotes loud, disrespectful tones. But the actual meaning is more of a debate. You can argue without being disrespectful.

Reactions: Norb_DAIS
I'm afraid that more posts like this one are appearing and we do not have legal help ... I have not had my first confrontation with the law .. but it seems that they try to frighten us sometimes when I'm flying in my head I just wait for the moment when someone get close to saying something
To be fair (as I mentioned in the video), the officer and the park ranger were very respectful and professional. I didn't feel intimidated and he performed his job the way he is supposed to.

Yes, I was only trying to film the wind turbines, which I believe is not on park property. I did fly over the rocks that are likely the issue.

I wasn't attempting to test loopholes in the park regulations, but if there is a valid legal case where the FAA rules as we understand them supercede those of the park district, then I would want clarification.

I intend to get that in a very respectful manner. The info that has been posted here is useful and I appreciate all the feedback.

This whole case is about jurisdiction, they claim you were standing under their jurisdiction. Make sure when you go to court, before entering you ask the clerk of the court if it is ok to enter under Federal Jurisdiction. He/she will say yes, now the important bit, do not sit down before the judge enters court. Tell the Judge you are standing under Federal Jurisdiction. Then the FAA rules take precedence.

Reactions: Former Member
I'm no lawyer .... if you are a 107 you are flying under FAA rules. As a 336 (soon to be extinct and replaced by 349) you are flying hobby rules .... which states "Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization " ... NOT FAA "RULES & REGULATIONS". You can't keep quoting FAA airspace rules if you are a 336. Your community and the AMA are your rules to follow. You can't have it both ways! Your community "The Park" is enforcing their rules. I wish you good luck!!

I'm no lawyer .... if you are a 107 you are flying under FAA rules. As a 336 (soon to be extinct and replaced by 349) you are flying hobby rules .... which states "Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization " ... NOT FAA "RULES & REGULATIONS". You can't keep quoting FAA airspace rules if you are a 336. Your community and the AMA are your rules to follow. You can't have it both ways! Your community "The Park" is enforcing their rules. I wish you good luck!!

You are wrong--You must still follow ALL the FAA regs for "flying under the special rule for model aircraft"
Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

I'm not expecting to go in there to show them how much "I know" about the FAA rules and how the local ordinance is unfair or flat out wrong...at least not without an abundance of respect for the court.

@keith00 asks "...will it be worth the effort?" and that is the biggest consideration for me. I'm not sure how much the fine will be, but I'm not in a position to be able to engage in a legal fight about this infraction.

If someone wants to foot the legal bills, then maybe. I think the outcome will be interesting for all of us.

Contact the ACLU, they love to start and win fights for people. Not a normal action or a normal fight they get into. But many use them to fight their battle whether right or wrong, and if the ACLU do take the case the publicity will educate the local authorities real quick about what they don't know about who controls the air space. Just a thought.

It's exactly what this is about--the OP said they told him "flying over the space was prohibited" and ticketed him for it--but who knows where he was or what was posted nearby--in which case I would agree with you but OP didn't give us all the other details

That's the problem on these forums--never enough detail--then when we all get to talking about it the moderator here shuts it all down--mod confuses disagreements with disrespect or something--my 2 cents

The ticket was not for flying. It was for operation a model craft and it does not specify what kind. It does not say flying over the marsh. Even if he convinces them that flying is legal and under FAA control, they can still hold him guilty for the charge on the ticket as he WAS operating a model craft. As that part of the violation IS correct, then the only question is whether or not he was ON PARK PROPERTY. So he needs to show where he was standing and GIS maps to show whether that spot is or is not park property.

Reactions: conchman
You are wrong--You must still follow ALL the FAA regs for "flying under the special rule for model aircraft"
Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Seriously .... then all you US 336 hobby pilots flying BVLOS, above 400 feet AGL, and at night are following the 107 FAA rules? I think not. You fly within your rules as a 336. The same as if I want to do a job at night as a 107 I have to apply for a night waiver. No worries as Part 349 will lay down the rules to get rid of all this confusion.

I’ve read all the preceding posts in order to try and get an accurate picture of the facts in this matter, still have a couple of questions. As I understand it you took off and landed outside the restricted territory. You flew mostly entirely outside of the park, except for a brief time over some rocks which you believe were inside the park. When the park ranger came upon you were you still in the air? Did the ranger see you flying, and if so over the park or outside the park? Did the ranger hang around while the police wrote the ticket? Did you hear either of them indicate whether the ranger would be at court to testify? Assuming he won’t, then would I be correct that the only witness who actually saw you flying the drone will most likely not be available to testify at your little trial? Or did the policeman also see the drone in the air over the park? Because the state has the burden of proving each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt it becomes important for you to know the likely testimony before selecting your trial strategy. No sense going in there and doing a mea culpa if their gun’s not loaded anyway.

The prosecutor may not have a handle on the answers to these questions until he talks to the police and/or ranger witness just before trial. Only then will he/she have a sense of how strong (or weak) their case is. So trying to call the state’s attorney before the trial may only serve to educate him/her, so he can plug the holes in his case, based on what facts you tell him. You don’t want to even decide whether to testify in your defense until after the state puts on their case in chief and you can see whether they even get to first base or not. When they finish you get to argue to the judge that you shouldn’t have to put on any evidence because they failed to establish what’s called a prima facie case, i.e. the basics. Youre also free at that point to raise the legal argument (Show the judge your strongest legal authority that says the state can only regulate the ground, i.e., where you can take off and land, not the airspace, because the federal government has pre-empted the state in regulating the national airspace.)

If you make your best pitch and the judge says no, their case-in-chief was enough to get past your objections, then you will have to decide whether there’s anything to be gained by testifying in your defense. It’s a tricky decision because if you do testify, then the prosecutor is free to cross examine you and fill in any weak spots in his case-in-chief. So frankly, unless you need to counter some testimony that you either took off from or landed on park territory, it might not even be best to testify. They have the burden of establishing that you were flying over no-no land.

Whew! That’s a bunch, huh? Just trying to give you a sense of what your options are. I guess all the above assumes that when you tried to show the judge legal authority at the very beginnning of the trial he didn’t buy it yet. That legal argument can be attempted before any evidence even comes in and, as I said above also at the end of the state’s initial case.

So, a question for the gentle readers here, where’s that notice found, the one from the FAA that tells local governments hands off the airspace?
I raised the point a number of times on the phantom forum, before there were any Mavics, that unless we organize ourselves as a national multicopter (drones, choppers, whatever) association in order to combat the squeeze coming down on us, we will simply lose. This situation is just one example. If we are to be organized thusly only as a part of AMA, then there needs to be a vibrant subdivision of AMA composed of real dronies, not merely tolerated by the fixed wing crowd. One way or the other I still hope that can happen.

Good luck, Norb.

What we need is the UAV equivalent of the AOPA.

Some years ago in CA a 727 collided with a 172 with all aboard each perishing.

After that the news media called for all those pesky little aeroplanes to severely restricted. It didn't matter to the reporters that the 727 crew had the traffic in sight and was maintaining visual separation. The media actually had the 172 speeding up and running into the 727. Didn't matter that the 727 was going faster than the 172's Vne.

The AOPA was a big help in moderating the changes made by the FAA.

Could you imagine if the media actually did their job and reported facts? Like if there was an allegation of a UAV looking through windows at 200 AGL and they showed what the footage actually looked like and told the general public that we can't possibly see anything through windows?

Even the 5 mile rule from airports is ridiculous. For many years our local airport had an RC flying field less than 2.5 miles away and there was never a hint of a conflict.

Yes there are idiots out there, like those flying above cloud layers. They should be tracked down and have the book thrown at them.

It is profound stupidity to place even more restrictions on those posing no risk while ignoring the real troublemakers.

We need advocates in Government and the media. There have to be responsible UAV pilots who know Officials or reporters and and could educate them on our hobby and maybe find some advocates.
All they are doing is keeping the oaunst people oaunst.

I’ve read all the preceding posts in order to try and get an accurate picture of the facts in this matter, still have a couple of questions. As I understand it you took off and landed outside the restricted territory. You flew mostly entirely outside of the park, except for a brief time over some rocks which you believe were inside the park. When the park ranger came upon you were you still in the air? Did the ranger see you flying, and if so over the park or outside the park? Did the ranger hang around while the police wrote the ticket? Did you hear either of them indicate whether the ranger would be at court to testify? Assuming he won’t, then would I be correct that the only witness who actually saw you flying the drone will most likely not be available to testify at your little trial? Or did the policeman also see the drone in the air over the park? Because the state has the burden of proving each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt it becomes important for you to know the likely testimony before selecting your trial strategy. No sense going in there and doing a mea culpa if their gun’s not loaded anyway.

The prosecutor may not have a handle on the answers to these questions until he talks to the police and/or ranger witness just before trial. Only then will he/she have a sense of how strong (or weak) their case is. So trying to call the state’s attorney before the trial may only serve to educate him/her, so he can plug the holes in his case, based on what facts you tell him. You don’t want to even decide whether to testify in your defense until after the state puts on their case in chief and you can see whether they even get to first base or not. When they finish you get to argue to the judge that you shouldn’t have to put on any evidence because they failed to establish what’s called a prima facie case, i.e. the basics. Youre also free at that point to raise the legal argument (Show the judge your strongest legal authority that says the state can only regulate the ground, i.e., where you can take off and land, not the airspace, because the federal government has pre-empted the state in regulating the national airspace.)

If you make your best pitch and the judge says no, their case-in-chief was enough to get past your objections, then you will have to decide whether there’s anything to be gained by testifying in your defense. It’s a tricky decision because if you do testify, then the prosecutor is free to cross examine you and fill in any weak spots in his case-in-chief. So frankly, unless you need to counter some testimony that you either took off from or landed on park territory, it might not even be best to testify. They have the burden of establishing that you were flying over no-no land.

Whew! That’s a bunch, huh? Just trying to give you a sense of what your options are. I guess all the above assumes that when you tried to show the judge legal authority at the very beginnning of the trial he didn’t buy it yet. That legal argument can be attempted before any evidence even comes in and, as I said above also at the end of the state’s initial case.

So, a question for the gentle readers here, where’s that notice found, the one from the FAA that tells local governments hands off the airspace?
I raised the point a number of times on the phantom forum, before there were any Mavics, that unless we organize ourselves as a national multicopter (drones, choppers, whatever) association in order to combat the squeeze coming down on us, we will simply lose. This situation is just one example. If we are to be organized thusly only as a part of AMA, then there needs to be a vibrant subdivision of AMA composed of real dronies, not merely tolerated by the fixed wing crowd. One way or the other I still hope that can happen.

Good luck, Norb.

I was in the air when the park ranger showed up, but he couldn't see it until I pointed it out to him as I was overhead and landing.

If you did not take off and land from park property, they dont have a leg to stand on. They can not regulate airspace above their parklands.

Ordinance 38, Section 409.3

"409.3 Operate self-propelled (motor driven) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS aka “drone”) model aircraft, boats, automobiles, or other model craft of any kind or description, or fly any UAS closer than 500 feet above District parklands, as defined by Federal Regulations; (rev. 4/16)."

This is a definition of their "District." They are not a federal authority. They can make up their own rules, but they cant control the airspace. Their tactic is to scare you off by giving you a citation, and make you go to court. Most people would just pay the fine, and not do it again. You were within your rights to fly there. The bad news is that a District judge will probably side with the police, whether or not they are wrong, and then you will need to get a lawyer if you want to contest it.

SECTION 101. DISTRICT DEFINED. “District” means the East Bay Regional Park District, and includes all lands and waters owned, controlled, or managed by the East Bay Regional Park District, which shall hereinafter be referred to as “parklands.”

https://api.municode.com/CD/Ordinances/15400/769233?forceDownload=true

One last thing, and Im not sure why this got stuck in my craw. I called the East Bay Park Police and they said they are not a federal entity, just a district entity. They patrol some federal land but can not enforce violations.

This is great information and I BELIEVE this is covered on the 107 test. As you cited, only ONE authority controls the airspace, and that entity is the FAA. According to my 107 study material, nobody else has authority over U.S. Airspace.

Last edited:
Well, for one thing, you did the right thing by being calm and not fighting with them, which could have resulted in your arrest. Your best defense will be a good offense in front of the judge.

• Bring the FAA rules about UAV's
  • Bring a printout of where you took off and landed from which was outside the parks jurisdiction.
  • Bring drone FAA registration
  • If you have a 107, bring that too
  • Tell them that now that you know, you will not do it again (begging for mercy even though you were right)
  • If found guilty, try to bargain with the judge to get off with a warning, or reduced fine.
One final word... try not to ignore it (I know you wont). Stupid little tickets like this can come back to bite if you left unaddressed.

Great advice. I would like to add that a "Motion for Discovery" is one of my favorite tools for ANY citation. This is no different. You are entitled to know exactly what evidence the prosecution (the officer) is going to use against you in court. They aren't allowed any surprises. You have a right to these items in a timely manner, and have to be allowed enough time to build your case (so they can't just show up in court with discovery documents and give them to you right there and then and expect you to build your case). Often times, merely creating a list of 5 things is enough to make the officer not show up. The list MUST be reasonable. For example, for speeding citations I normally ask for calibration records of the unit and the officer's RADAR / LIDAR credentials and training records. I ask for a map of the area showing his and my location when it witnessed the infraction, etc. You get the point. It has to be a list that a judge would approve.

Good luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven