DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tell It To the Judge...

curious on this... without a 107 waiver for VLOS, is it still acceptable to fly beyond LOS (vertical or horizontal)?

As far as I am aware, no beyond line of sight. However, I do jobs where I have to go above byond line of site and I usually contact the FAA through my employer.

Reactions: KevsMavic2
Do you think Part 107's can fly anywhere that a recreational user cant? WRONG!
if there is an NFZ or temporary restriction , it covers EVERYONE. if it is a fire zone, IT COVERS EVERYONE.
Too many part 107's dont seem to understand that.
@ac0j is right. The ONLY time I can fly byond LOS when when we apply for a waiver 90 days in advance to inspect equipment for the DOE. A Hobbiest, has more leaway than a 107 pilot. I am about tired of 107 pilots thinking they can do whatever they want. This is why they are introducing new legistration. In my opinion anways. My insurance for Commercial License to do weddings and things like that is outraguous. It's common sense. All of it is common sense. Don't do things that are going to hurt someone, get in trouble because it just gives reason to introduce more legistration. I don't understand why people think, "Oh im 107 cert, I can do whatever I want. I fly right next to an airport often, I get ATC clearence and I also notifiy the FAA just in case because ATC never takes my info. Be smart, cover your butt.

A
@ac0jI am about tired of 107 pilots thinking they can do whatever they want.
I don’t think 107s on a whole think they can do whatever. Doesn’t everyone read the material and study. How else do you pass the test? Who doesn’t know the basics as required for us.

Reactions: Norb_DAIS
A
I don’t think 107s on a whole think they can do whatever. Doesn’t everyone read the material and study. How else do you pass the test? Who doesn’t know the basics as required for us.
Your right bud, it's not everyone just a few but those few can hurt us

I had a chance to present my case this morning and the judge decided to take the case under submission so that he can review the documents I had presented in my defense.

His decision will be mailed to me.

I'll wait for the ruling before posting any details.

Nice that the judge is taking into account that you did your homework, and that he is taking the time to get it right. Looking forward to hearing the details when he sends you the ruling; thanks for the update!

Reactions: TR Ganey and ff22
I had a chance to present my case this morning and the judge decided to take the case under submission so that he can review the documents I had presented in my defense.

His decision will be mailed to me.

I'll wait for the ruling before posting any details.

Well that’s actually a good sign. Truthfully if he looks at the law he is likely to rule in your favor. The only way you get bad laws overturned is to challenge them. You could be someone who actually effects a positive change. Bravo!!

Reactions: Norb_DAIS
Well that’s actually a good sign. Truthfully if he looks at the law he is likely to rule in your favor. The only way you get bad laws overturned is to challenge them. You could be someone who actually effects a positive change. Bravo!!
At this time I still have not heard back from the court. I remain hopeful that the information I presented will be viewed favorably.

Reactions: TR Ganey
At this time I still have not heard back from the court. I remain hopeful that the information I presented will be viewed favorably.
Norb if you case is successful, you will be quoted USA wide as case study for i suspect many thousands of people who face the same unfair charges from money hungry agencies. Well done sir even if it is not found in your favour I would suggest you appeal

Norb if you case is successful, you will be quoted USA wide as case study for i suspect many thousands of people who face the same unfair charges from money hungry agencies. Well done sir even if it is not found in your favour I would suggest you appeal

Thanks for the support! To everyone who has commented and contributed as well!

I just got a text message from my wife that a letter came in from the court. She wanted to open it up, but I told her to wait until I get home. I'm anxious, but I have to wait out traffic for my long commute, otherwise I'm in the car for almost 2 hours -- it's rush hour and raining here in the Bay Area and traffic is never fun in the rain.

I'll be posting again tonight with the results of the case.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Aww come on already, let your wife read it to us :p

Reactions: Point Zero
Ok. Well here it is...

No clarification of control of airspace or any other explanation. Just that I violated the ordinance (No self-propelled model aircraft...) and pay the fine by next week.

I didn't mention earlier that the judge is also a P107 holder, but during the hearing, he did tell me that "this is not an FAA issue, this is a park issue."

I provided him with copies of statement sent to me by the FAA along with the press release from July of last year and the photos of my location outside park property.

I disagree with his statement because I believe it is an issue of regulation of airspace. I expressed that I did due diligence planning the flight using the sectional charts and AirMap, and that the area is not clearly marked...though the officer said otherwise.

Lots of work needs to be done with regard to the education and communication of the rules. It doesn't matter if you're a hobbyist or P107 pilot. I don't claim any special exemption for the rules and will pay the fine as directed by the court. But as more and more people take to the air, it would help if the rules were clearly defined and easy to find.

So guess where I won't be flying my drone? [emoji848]20190208_203742.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54