DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terror Mode

Airbender55

Reactions
So took my Mavic Pro to Chicago and went to the beech to fly, I made sure it was legal to fly at this location. I set up the drone and app, when I lifted off the drone went sideways at what seemed to be full speed, almost like in terrorist mode, luckily no one around cause I didn’t seem to have any control. Finally after all attempts I hit return to home and it lifted and came back like normal. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
when I lifted off the drone went sideways at what seemed to be full speed, almost like in terrorist mode, luckily no one around cause I didn’t seem to have any control. Finally after all attempts I hit return to home and it lifted and came back like normal. Any thoughts?
It sounds like you put your drone in a yaw error situation by launching from a magnetically dirty area ... maybe reinforced concrete?
The recorded flight data will confirm.

Launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces is asking for trouble.

[QUOTE ....
Launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces is asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

Launching OR Powering on?

I could power it on, at concrete surfaces and then handlaunch.
Or power it on in hand and lunch it from reinforced concrete.

Reactions: Mr Majestyk
If you post your logs of the flight, one of the members here can tell you what happened.
It sounds like you put your drone in a yaw error situation by launching from a magnetically dirty area ... maybe reinforced concrete?
The recorded flight data will confirm.

[QUOTE ....

[/QUOTE]
Makes sense to me but I have launched from the back of my pick up, wouldn’t that cause similar results. Still trying to send flight record which I found but how do I attach it.

When I've tried to launch from an area with too much metal I got a warning and wasn't able to launch, so I don't think that's the problem.

The only way to know for sure is to post your logs.

Reactions: pmshop
[QUOTE ....

Not recommended- good chance of acquiring a dodgy compass initialisation and flying with it.

[QUOTE ....
[/QUOTE]

Good chance you would get a compass error and unable to launch when placing the drone and initialised compass close to the concrete.

Your best bet would be to power on and launch from the hand launch position.

Makes sense to me but I have launched from the back of my pick up, wouldn’t that cause similar results.
The problem comes from having the drone initiate within the distorted magnetic field and getting a false north.
When it leaves the magnetic field, what it thinks is north, isn't and the trouble starts.
So .. powering up is the main problem time but it's never a good practice to launch close to magnetic fields.
I've heard of a few that can launch from the bed of a pickup .
I'm not sure how that works, perhaps it's because there are steel panels all around rather than an unbalanced single magnetic field?

Still trying to send flight record which I found but how do I attach it.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
When I've tried to launch from an area with too much metal I got a warning and wasn't able to launch, so I don't think that's the problem.
It's fine when the extraneous magnetic field is strong enough for the compass to recognise that's it's a problem.
The problem comes when it's strong enough to give a false north but not strong enough to be flagged as an error.
This turns up commonly enough with symptoms exactly as described but the data will confirm this if it shows up Yaw Errors.

The only way to know for sure is to post your logs.

Agreed,

I have no idea how people can launch with a "compass error - recalibrate compass" flashing at them.
I cannot take off either with my Mavic Air

The only DJI craft I have seen to take off with a "dirty compass" AND self correct in flight is the Spark.

Had a very strange event this weekend, took off to film my high school's Senior Bridge.
Over 300 ft away from the 1910 iron bridge, I was getting in flight compass errors left and right.
But flying close proxi to and over....nothing.
Not one error

Last edited:
Read post #8 for the explanation

Had a very strange event this weekend, took off to film my high school's Senior Bridge.
Over 300 ft away from the 1910 iron bridge, I was getting in flight compass errors left and right.
But flying close proxi to and over....nothing.
Not one error
At 300 ft, the compass error had nothing to do with the bridge.
You'd have to be closer than ~10 feet for the compass to be affected.

Read post #8 for the explanation

At 300 ft, the compass error had nothing to do with the bridge.
You'd have to be closer than ~10 feet for the compass to be affected.

Exactly my point

So took my Mavic Pro to Chicago and went to the beech to fly, I made sure it was legal to fly at this location. I set up the drone and app, when I lifted off the drone went sideways at what seemed to be full speed, almost like in terrorist mode, luckily no one around cause I didn’t seem to have any control. Finally after all attempts I hit return to home and it lifted and came back like normal. Any thoughts?
should you be more precise, what does terrorist mode mean? how did it behave after take-off? he got up ? did you go? back ? if you took the RTH command it means you didn't lose control, did you panic, did you think you had no control? however, do you know how to extract flight log files from your smartphone? if you can do it I can read you the files is to understand what happened, obviously I send you all the screenshots in your mail in pvt, think about it and let me know. the file you have to extract it otherwise it becomes too difficult also because I use google you translate and you know it is not the best so it would be so hard to understand ok?

I think I might avoid using the word “ter****st” in an online forum...

I have launched from the back of my pick up,
[/QUOTE]

From my understanding compass error is one one main reason for drone flyaways.

I developed a habit to always check sensors before each session and also calibrate each time i take my drone on the plane. There is a plenty of talk on forums about it.

Pickup truck is metal. I am surprised it allowed you to launch at all. I am often launching from a reinforce concrete and already getting compas into red zone.
Anyways - even if error doesn't show up you could still check how bad the magnetic field is.

Every time i start new flying session i open Advance Setting ---> Sensors ---> Compass and check if i am in green, yellow or red zone. Anything above GREEN i move my drone around till i find a space that is free of magnetic interferences.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1564975199058.png
    1564975199058.png
    584.6 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: _gonzales_
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members