DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing and have fun with the RTH on map function Mavic Mini.

• Thread starter Deleted member 114080
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 114080

I am not sure if the RTH function of the Spark and Pro are the same but recently I discovered the possibility to change the RTH point from the gps point to a map point.
If you go to the menu, RTH (update home point), you can change to controller position or map position. If you choose map position you can make the Mini to fly to the point you have put in. Basically you can launch the drone change the RTH and drive to the newly entered RTH point without steering anything (Not steering the drone I mean ;)). (Please note in some country it is not allowed and illegal) Also you can stop the RTH on the way and move RTH point somewhere else or program RTH to the controller. I believe you can still control the camera. So you can fly the full battery time without the need to fly back, as long as you can meet up with the landingspot of the drone. Very nice !
Here's a clip how to do:

Fly safe,

DroneRudy

Last edited by a moderator:
How accurate is it setting off a map is it within 1m or is there a margin of error,
Satellite photos are sometimes a year old and not up to date, is there a risk in landing on a new structure or somewhere that now has new trees etc.
Mapbox doesn't allow you to zoom in very far, I'd be worried about the accuracy

Wouldn't it be safer to set the new homepoint based on the controller position ?

Last edited:
This was only the (second) first test. In the previous flight the RTH was set above grass. Then it stayed hovering because of unsuitable landing ground. You can stop the RTH and try visual to find a better landing spot (As I did in the second test/clip) From these first observation the RTH accuracy seems a few meters though I need much more tests to give a reliable figure.

Well, I strongly advice that you have inspected any place where you intend to land as well thoroughly study any obstacle hight in your RTH destinations.

You can also set the RTH at controller position but I have to guess what happens is you start moving the controller, maybe next test ;)

This was only the (second) first test. In the previous flight the RTH was set above grass. Then it stayed hovering because of unsuitable landing ground. You can stop the RTH and try visual to find a better landing spot (As I did in the second test/clip) From these first observation the RTH accuracy seems a few meters though I need much more tests to give a reliable figure.

Well, I strongly advice that you have inspected any place where you intend to land as well thoroughly study any obstacle hight in your RTH destinations.

You can also set the RTH at controller position but I have to guess what happens is you start moving the controller, maybe next test ;)
If it’s like other DJI drones the rest of home point is static rather than constant change. So if you move the controller I suspect the “home point” would be at the last location where you set it.
I will follow your test with interest.

Presumably it is as you say. But then I can update the controller RTH as I am moving ;) I will test it, as soon as the weather gets better...

Reactions: Thomas B
☺In theory you can use 100% of battery life without to be afraid if it will be able to fly back to you.

Neverteheless you have to be carefull each time of:

Wind direction and power
Obstacles in the way of your dynamic RTH
Inspecting all relevant landing places if you need to land
Local laws
Be aware of weather changes and act accordingly. The Mini is more affected by high winds than Spark and Pro, also most of the time the higher you get the more wind the drone faces.
Flying drones, you need dicipline and you need to cut off when it is not safe to fly or then maybe you loose your drone.

Then, this is a challange I can't refuse, so I need to test it :cool:

Fly safe !

☺In theory you can use 100% of battery life without to be afraid if it will be able to fly back to you.

Neverteheless you have to be carefull each time of:

Wind direction and power
Obstacles in the way of your dynamic RTH
Inspecting all relevant landing places if you need to land
Local laws

Then, this is a challange I can't refuse, so I need to test it :cool:

Fly safe !
Do this in a wide open area with soft grass to minimize damage if you’re at any real altitude and at a distance like 1/2 mile or more when you test it. ;)

I will, thanks, I will report here

I don't owe a 2. You can check in the menu if there is an option, searching on youtube I could not find this option for 2.

So technically if you was stupid/brave enough you could set your mini up to do a "range test" mission and fly it maybe 10miles?
Set you RTH height above anything between you and where it is going and just set it off.

I'm not stupid enough to do this but my parents live about 2miles away. I know the height I'd have to fly at to avoid any obstacles so technically I could just send it to land in their yard. That's crazy.

So technically if you was stupid/brave enough you could set your mini up to do a "range test" mission and fly it maybe 10miles?
Set you RTH height above anything between you and where it is going and just set it off.

I'm not stupid enough to do this but my parents live about 2miles away. I know the height I'd have to fly at to avoid any obstacles so technically I could just send it to land in their yard. That's crazy.

Go On !!!! try it , see if you can drop by to your parents place and land using a mobile home point and report back if it works ;)

Hmm, it's like a waypoint system that only allows one point and no camera control. It's possible that the Mini is the only GPS drone on the market that doesn't support waypoint missions.

In the first test I could control the camera gimbal up and down. I wonder wat happens if you jaw the MM during RTH.. Needs another test. But too much wind recent day. Don't fly the MM at windy days.

In the first test I could control the camera gimbal up and down. I wonder wat happens if you jaw the MM during RTH.. Needs another test. But too much wind recent day. Don't fly the MM at windy days.
Yes, you can yaw, and the drone will continue to home. That does give the possibility of at least manually doing point-of-interest panning as you fly by something, and generally being able to point the camera in any direction without worrying about where the drone is going.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilldale Harry