DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Texas Pilot crashes drone into the world trade Center

But he got his 60 seconds of FAME. That was what he wanted. It's these types that hurt the rest of us. But as the ol' saying goes - "You can't fix stup

But he got his 60 seconds of FAME. That was what he wanted. It's these types that hurt the rest of us. But as the ol' saying goes - "You can't fix stupid!"
He might have gotten his 60 seconds of Fame but his Royal headaches have not started yet. New York most likely will go after this guy even though the FAA probably will not.

Pilots should have to take a test before being able to purchase, let’s band together and figure out a solution before these boneheads ruin our hobby

He might have gotten his 60 seconds of Fame but his Royal headaches have not started yet. New York most likely will go after this guy even though the FAA probably will not.

I'm curious about why you say the FAA probably will not get involved. To me, this seems like something they'd almost have to take action on.

I'm curious about why you say the FAA probably will not get involved. To me, this seems like something they'd almost have to take action on.
What I mean is not that they will get involved but they probably will not fine the guy as no one was hurt and no damages were made.

thanks for sharing!

"To his surprise, he was greeted by the NYPD outside the building. Up until this point, he said ‘didn’t cross my mind’ that he was near the World Trade Center."

Up to this point, I think there was a whole LOT that 'didn't cross his mind' Being near the WTC was the least of them. Dang, did I type that? ?

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
"To his surprise, he was greeted by the NYPD outside the building. Up until this point, he said ‘didn’t cross my mind’ that he was near the World Trade Center."

Up to this point, I think there was a whole LOT that 'didn't cross his mind' Being near the WTC was the least of them. Dang, did I type that? ?
He probably doesn't even know the history of the world trade Center

Here is the most common punishment for crashing.
When a drone crashes somewhere, the most common charge is Reckless Endangerment.

Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree
Most often, the charge will be Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree, Penal Law Section 120.20, which is a class A misdemeanor. The crime is defined simply as engaging in reckless behavior that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury.

The next charge is less common, more serious, but harder for the prosecutor to prove.
Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree
Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree, Penal Law Section 120.25, is a more serious crime. It is defined as acting with depraved indifference to human life and engaging in conduct that crates a grave risk of death to another.

Tourist sparks NY terror alert after crashing his drone into World Trade Center

Wow this is today's headlines. Crucifie the kid.?

And the kid walks away with a fine $$$ only. For all the terror he caused New York he got away with murder then
The news media makes it sound worse than it was and for those of us who lived through 911 still feel the pain so we over react. This guy was only 22. He doesn't remeber 911. To him The world trade center is just another building in New York City.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
No, I have a 400 foot mountain right next to me I want to go over.
I meant to show a questionable statement in the article.The 400ft "limit" need not be the set "altitude limit" at take off, it carries over from the last flight and or can be altered at any time. 500m is the only set height limit that the user can not exceed (unless the drone has been hacked)

It still doesn't make it right for the stupidity did he did but not finding out if he was allowed to fly in that area which I can tell you he's not
I didn't say that. He's is facing misdeamenor charges. Not sure if he'll serve jail time. Besides the fines, he'll probably have to do community service. See my post #35. He is defintely facing Reckless Endangerment in the 2nd degree.

If you crash your drone and put a person in the hospital, but you did it by accident, do think it's appropriate you serve jail time? That's like putting people who have car accidents in jail. It happens, but it's rare. If I were your judge, I wouldn't put you in jail unless you were guilty of Reckless Endangerment in the First degree. I doubt he was trying to cause an accident or put others in harms way. He'll remember this day and regret it for a loooong time.

Last edited:
The key here, is he is 22 years old. Now I can understand why he was there flying a drone, but I still can't figure out how he crashed.
He recorded a video of himself explaining that he was trying to film an "orbital shot" of a fountain and that it was going "too far and too fast" for him to stop.

I kiiiinda feel like that's ******** because you can interrupt the orbit pretty easily unless he was like in sport mode and doing a manual orbit.

And isn't it illegal to fly drones in Manhattan generally?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones