DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THAILAND

Ok so just been to Asiatique . I took off from the car park opposite. One tall building circa 700 feet apart from that it is clear and the building is avoidable from car park with clear line of sight right over Asiatique. Iflew there at 65m then hovered at 50. I had a spotter at the asiatique wheel watching for anything i did not spot beforehand. No one even blinked including the car park guards when i took off. The footage i took is ok as i did not set anything up just flew stock settings so icould watch the drone.

So, as someone visiting Thailand for a few days, how should I prepare so I can bring my Mavic pro with little or no hassle?

I'm no knucklehead. I understand there are restrictions (most sound to be fairly straightforward and intuitive) but with all the internet talk about permits and insurance, what's a drone pilot to do?

Reactions: Woodhouse
So, as someone visiting Thailand for a few days, how should I prepare so I can bring my Mavic pro with little or no hassle?

I'm no knucklehead. I understand there are restrictions (most sound to be fairly straightforward and intuitive) but with all the internet talk about permits and insurance, what's a drone pilot to do?

I just carry on and no problems at all. Been in and out of Thailand numerous times with mine. I was asked once in Taipei and told them it was my aerial camera. They smiled and waved me on. I would highly discourage any use of the word "Drone"

Here. Let me assist. Drone regulations in Thailand - Drone Traveller

I notice on the news this morning a guy posted an aerial pic of donmuang, hope this does'nt change anything regarding enforcement,

I have found a couple of areas around where nobody seems to mind and one park where a pilot told the security had told him...its ok just dont fly too high.

Good info and read some time before. I also have 3 Thai friends that have Phantoms and they fly on and off and we share vids.

I fly my Mavic in Thailand no issues. However I use a lot of common sense in that I do not fly by Temples, Airports, etc as do my Thai friends. I have flown on numerous island areas but away from resorts because of privacy respect of the guests. I have yet to have seen another Drone flyer in all my time here.

Again the rules/laws stated in any country are what they are.

Don't forget that you can buy yourself from any problems in Thailand via money

Don't forget that you can buy yourself from any problems in Thailand via money
not quite true as that all depends on how much and the offence you commit and do not believe that everyone is that corrupt especially since Prayuth came to power. also the bribe for hurting someone or as it is called the compensation money has to go to the police officer his boss and the injured party (hence whey insurance has to be one million baht so everyone gets a piece of the pie). if you do not understand how the bribe system is in operation you will get taken to a station where it will start to cost you more than you took for your holiday. While i agree that money solves everything in Thailand even murder, there is a system to follow.

To be honest we make the Thai police out to be pretty bad, but actually to most tourists and foreigners you will never need to go the bribery route in one visit i was stopped 18 times in 2500 miles of driving and i never paid one bribe to anyone.

the end of the month is the worst time this is called wives days where the police take most bribes after giving their salary to the wife, so the end of the month (last week in the month) is the time to be a lot more careful especially with scooters helmets and licenses.

any license in English is accepted, any other license needs a bribe if stopped (which should be already in said licence).

as said, yes bribes are acceptable but depending on offence committed you may find unless you know some very high up people your bribe will cost you more than your holiday.

Run your Mavic into someones head and you are into compensation money in the same way crash a bike and it will always be your fault.

(although the police did make a guy pay me a lot of cash after mashing my car then saying it was my fault without realising i could speak some thai and that my Thai GF and even my Thai daughter have far better grasp of the sytsem than the Thai guy did, trying to scam the foreigner. it was even him who called the police and boy did he feel like a complete d8888ck when they showed up, and 10 mins later they marched him to the cashpoint where he was made to withdraw compensation money to me on the spot).

Look guys it is very easy and Thailand is also very easy

behave (if you do not the Thais will gag up together and make you behave and the bigger you are the more they will gather).

be discreet and the Thais will love you forget what you hear about Thailand from the sex tourists who know **** about Thailand and who think they are Thai experts.

do not raise your voice in anger as Thais are not confrontational at all, They hate confrontation as it is loss of face and will get you nowhere.

be polite if asked to stop then stop.

it is practically impossible to lose your drone or have it taken away unless you are really doing something very very stupid indeed

Thailand is very forgiving even without bribes if you show respect (even if you want to punch their heads in)

in Thailand the "land of smiles" remember this, the Thais have a thousand ways of smiling and they even have one to say "i am going to kill you" you just have to know which smile they are wearing.

The army have full control now you will see far more army controlling the parks, goverment buildings, airports, national parks and even beaches and they are far better and far less bribable than the police.

Not all bribes will work all the time if they don't like you or they become Kreng jai then you have problems and that will happen as soon as you show them any disrespect. Then a bribe will be the last thing you will be thiniking about.

generally Thailand is an amazing service delivery culture where forgiveness is all good as long as respect and politeness is shown.

remember also they are still in official mourning for the king until October and although all restrictions are lifted in regards to party time it is still a sensitive time and an unstable time right now.

just be nice and go fly and all will be cool

Reactions: Woodhouse
Thursday my Wife and I drove up to a remote temple in the North. We went early and when we got there, we were the only ones. After a 2km drive up the mountain to a parking lot and then another 1800 foot hike we arrived at the top. Incredible view. Weather was breezy and we were up in the clouds a bit. I launched Mavic and went out over the edge of the cliff and it caught a thermal updraft and my Mavic went up 30 yards on its on. Was cool to watch. I just let it do its thing. I did about a 3 min fly and landed. As I was flying a few other couples showed up. There were about 6 or 7 Thai folks who were so polite. We chatted while I flew. Then this old American guy came up and started immediately complaining about drone flying. Guy just wouldn't shut up. I ignored him but gave him a big stare like Shaddup already you miserable old man. What i laughed about as I was looking at my Vid a Thai group should up and launched one guy set up and flew his P4. The old guy wents nuts. I headed back down the mountain. What I have found in all my years living here in Thailand foreigners moan and wine about virtually everything.

i did contacted the CAAT, they mention that any drone attach with camera need to register, and liability insurance is needed, coverage need to more than 1M bath above, and need to prove you did not commit any crime before. it seems like to hassle for me to do all this. but is there anyone being stop to bring in any Phantom 4 drone?

i did contacted the CAAT, they mention that any drone attach with camera need to register, and liability insurance is needed, coverage need to more than 1M bath above, and need to prove you did not commit any crime before. it seems like to hassle for me to do all this. but is there anyone being stop to bring in any Phantom 4 drone?

While I cannot speak with certainty but the P4 is an obvious Drone where as the Mavic is far less obvious.

It might come under scrutiny at arrival. It would totally depend on the customs officer.

Anyone know any rules about Myanmar! I'll be going there next month.

The 'official' position in Myanmar is that it is illegal with the airspace controlled by the military. The reality is that it is fine if you are sensible, avoid major monuments and military installations. Other than Yangon, Bagan, Inle Lake and Mandalay there is little enforcement of the rules.

I will be going to Ngapali, Mrauk U and Sitthwe next month certainly taking my Mavic and flying it together with a local who also has one.

Hi! I am flying to Thailand in January and I'm doing my research on wether to take my Mavic with me or not anyone with some recent experience? I also do not fly for commercial purposes, purely recreational so I was wondering if I also need to register as they say with Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) ?? Thanks

I'd say bring it. Like anywhere in the world, use common sense when flying it, especially around temples and BKK

Reactions: TomasKrujz
Cool thanks! But do I need to let authorities know because it has attached camera? I read Rules to Apply for Permission and Conditions to Control and Launch Unmanned Aircraft in the Category of Remotely Piloted Aircraft B.E. 2558 (A.D. 2015) - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย but it does't mention it but on some other website it says if the drones has attached camera you need to contact the CAAT and register so thats where I got a bit confused. But sure I totally understand the common sense factor its just I don't want to get harassed somewhere at it airport for carrying Mavic.

Cool thanks! But do I need to let authorities know because it has attached camera? I read Rules to Apply for Permission and Conditions to Control and Launch Unmanned Aircraft in the Category of Remotely Piloted Aircraft B.E. 2558 (A.D. 2015) - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย but it does't mention it but on some other website it says if the drones has attached camera you need to contact the CAAT and register so thats where I got a bit confused. But sure I totally understand the common sense factor its just I don't want to get harassed somewhere at it airport for carrying Mavic.
Those rules are for flying it. You're not flying it when it's in your luggage.

Read the rest of the thread. I'll condense it for you: don't fly stupid, don't fly over temples, and don't ruin people's privacy during their beach retreat. Stay out of the cities, and the liklihood of any officials bothering you is very low.

Reactions: JP and TomasKrujz
I live here in Thailand and I have not registered my drone and do not plan on it. As Pixl and I mentioned, just be cool and fly smart and you will have ZERO issues.

Some tips. I fly extremely low profile meaning I set up way off away from folks and fly into the location I want to vid and fly back. That's the beauty of the Mavic or any drone. I never understood the flyers that set up in front off all the people.

In all my time here its funny, the few times I flew where people were,the complainers are always the foreigners screaming about privacy invasion while they sit on beaches. People have an extremely inflated opinion of themselves thinking people really care about that they are doing.

What part of Thailand are you visiting?

Enjoy the trip

Reactions: go fast
I live here in Thailand and I have not registered my drone and do not plan on it. As Pixl and I mentioned, just be cool and fly smart and you will have ZERO issues.

Some tips. I fly extremely low profile meaning I set up way off away from folks and fly into the location I want to vid and fly back. That's the beauty of the Mavic or any drone. I never understood the flyers that set up in front off all the people.

In all my time here its funny, the few times I flew where people were,the complainers are always the foreigners screaming about privacy invasion while they sit on beaches. People have an extremely inflated opinion of themselves thinking people really care about that they are doing.

What part of Thailand are you visiting?

Enjoy the trip
Hey @JP....where are you? I'm up in Chiang Mai for another week or so if you have any suggestions...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d