DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thailand.

Dirk-NL

Reactions
Hi there. Is anyone in Thailand or has been there recently. I like to your experience with bringing your drone in to the country and flying at different islands in south Thailand.

Hey, just got back from 2 weeks in thailand. Arrived in Bangkok and than went to Koh Samui, Krabi, Phi Phi and Phuket and had zero problems. Went through 7 airports in 2 weeks and had no problem at the airports either. I flew it in Krabi at Railay Beach and in Phuket in Chalong Bay. I have to admit that I flew the drone multiple times in Railay Beach and never realized its a "national park" and couldn't fly it. There was even a sign saying no drones that I didn't see but I still had no problems. I had one lady walk up to me and tell me I couldn't fly it but she was really nice about it. There were so many people flying drones on that beach. Be careful and you should be fine. I flew my Spark at night and in the morning when the beaches were empty. Probably why I got stopped that one time. Others flew theirs during the day on a very crowded beach which is stupid. Apparently everything is a national park there and you cant fly it but no one pays attention if you are careful. I never registered it either. Waste of time. I did submit the form to the email on their website and printed it out so I could at least show I submitted the form. I had zero intention of fully registering. I did not provide any information on drone insurance as I was not going to get any although I did meet a guy who did register it.

Guys

Just got back from Phuket, no problems getting into and out of Thailand with drone. They did ask me what was inside my drone case and when I explained the security staff did not understand. She requested it be individually x-rayed but no problems.

I did register my Mavic 4 weeks before going but of course got no answer from Thai authorities.

Flew multiple times but never in national parks. Took my Mavic to outer island on snorkelling trip hoping to get footage but guide told me I could not fly after I asked. I didn’t see any signs or notices in the park nor the tour operator saying drones were banned.

I flew off the hotel beach and nearby choosing early morning and mid afternoon when it was the most quiet. Stayed as incognito as possible. Many people saw the Mavic in the air but my flight was never agresssive, low, fast and intrusive. Almost nobody queried me about my flying. Only guy that came up was an expat Scandinavian chap who asked me to show is Thai daughter the screen while I was flying. Had a long chat while I was buzzing around about everything from drones to life in Thailand.

While there are drone laws in Thailand, I doubt they are fully enforced. Just don’t fly over high profile places and where you can annoy people and you will most likely be fine. Apply common sense.

Cheers
Etops

Reactions: SirCharles
Since a few months, anyone should now register their drone here When it comes to importation, I haven't seen any restrictions during my research.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60