DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

That resistance when hand catching your Mavic Pro

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
So I'm about a dozen flights into using my Mavic and want to know whether that 2-3 seconds of resistance when hand catching damages the motors - when you push down on the left stick and wait for the propellers to stop.

Has it got anything to do with the sensors beneath or is that normal behaviour for the Mavic's propellers to momentarily spin faster before cutting out?

Same here! I think its OK, thats the normal way for thé mavic to shut down...

I hope it is as I haven't seen any information anywhere saying it's okay. The way the Mavic kinda fights before the motors cut out worries me every time I hand catch it, and friends and relatives always notice that as well - that increase in rpm and propeller noise before the motors stop.

Turn off the bottom sensors and it wont do it. The mavic detects your hand and tries to fly up and away as you are an obstacle, your not at its known ground height.

Reactions: born2drone
Turn off the bottom sensors and it wont do it. The mavic detects your hand and tries to fly up and away as you are an obstacle, your not at its known ground height.

I was thinking of doing that but aren't the bottom sensors there "just in case" so that your Mavic doesn't hit rock bottom?

I was thinking of doing that but aren't the bottom sensors there "just in case" so that your Mavic doesn't hit rock bottom?
There are a few instances when turning off the downward OA can be beneficial...
In your case, doing a hand catch (as someone said earlier that moment when ur bird fights back is because it is sensing your hand as an obstacle.
Also, if flying over water or glass windows/roofs the accuracy of the downward sensors is drastically reduced, but do keep in mind that the downward sensors are no longer in use anyways one above 30ft.

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Yup just as kilrah said you don't have to turn off the bottom sensors or any other sensors you just have to turn off "landing protection"....located in the sensors section second page.... i never used it anyways seems more of a nuissance. With this off it lands soft as a feather every time. Not one ounce of fight. Super smooth landings

I allow my Mavic to land on my hand without grabbing hold of it, then turn off the motors. I don’t use landing protection either. The only time I’ve noticed the resistance is when I’ve grabbed the Mavic and moved my hand, even slightly. It just goes to show how sensitive the Mavic is to external forces which in turn leads to its stability.

I have noticed that as well but it seems like the mavic doesn't "resist" if I move it up a bit when I catch it? if I pull it down it will try to compensate and fly up?

I like that idea of compensating. I'll give that a go from now on as I don't like the idea of possibly stressing the motors when hand catching my Mavic.

No worries. Those motors rev up like that every time you climb fast. You are just feeling that thrust. After grabbing the Mavic firmly, flip it on its side. The motors will quit instantly. Just keep your pinky out of the way. This is no time to hold your Mavic like an English tea cup!

Don't fight it, don't need to turn off any sensors...Simply "land" it on your hand. Just hold your hand out when the Mavic is about 3 feet above your hand, and simply land it on your hand. It will land gently then immediately the motors will shut off...Easy peasy

What does the landing protection do?

I asked the same question a couple of days ago. Answer I got was that the motors wouldn't harm themselves. The increase in motor speed shouldn't be damaging to the Mavic?

Exactly as cfoxtrot #13 said.
Works every time without the motors reving and trying to pull away. It touches down softly in your hand and shuts off.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezey.

Reactions: cfoxtrot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre