DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The “Aha” moment. I got it!

Capt KO

Reactions
Reminiscing. Back when I started watching this forum, I was terrified virgin pilot. Scared, confused, overwhelmed. Going slow, reading, practicing to build up my confidence, all started working in my favor. But I wasn’t quite there, something wasn’t right. Then, one day, I got it! I went out to fly my favorite P4 and realized that I had put on all four props without even looking at where and which way to turn them. Was natural just from looking at my drone. I’ve had a few more since then but that was when I felt at home (fell in love) with my drone. Maybe you’ve had one too.

I’ll have my next ‘aha’ moment when I can read @sar104’s graphs.

My aha moment was honestly after I started flying FPV and started to really understand how to manually fly a quad. DJI drones are like flying an Airbus, you're just manipulating an algorithm rather than actually flying the bird
That was another of mine later. First time I took off and flew an entire battery and landed all FPV was definitely a Wow moment too. ?? in the pilot seat. Not quite like my Cessna 172, but close enough for now.

my defining moment came when after being hospitalised for several weeks early last year due to an issue with my heart i was able to get out in the fresh air and just fly my drone the hobby is a lifeline for me and flying and being on this forum keeps me from going crazy

my defining moment came when after being hospitalised for several weeks early last year due to an issue with my heart i was able to get out in the fresh air and just fly my drone the hobby is a lifeline for me and flying and being on this forum keeps me from going crazy
I understand. It was my lifeline a couple years ago when I was facing multiple surgeries. Actually they're still happening. It has kept me sane and more active than I would be otherwise. Great therapy

Interesting comments. My special moment was when I added music to an otherwise simple video. The aerial journey went from ho hum practice to becoming a pleasing viewing experience ...

Spent two years researching and studying as well as using flight simulators. When I finally got my M2P and lit her up, that was my Ah ha moment. I can do this and it was like I had been flying for years.

I’ve had scares that I feared WOULD put me in the hospital while flying...disconnect!!!...come home come home come home...ahhh there she is...done for the day. I need a drink.

?That’s good. LOL. I know what you mean,...So happy that it comes home when you call. Those pucker moments, that you survive, make life exciting, what a rush! And makes a better pilot.

enjoy KO

Reminiscing. Back when I started watching this forum, I was terrified virgin pilot. Scared, confused, overwhelmed. Going slow, reading, practicing to build up my confidence, all started working in my favor. But I wasn’t quite there, something wasn’t right. Then, one day, I got it! I went out to fly my favorite P4 and realized that I had put on all four props without even looking at where and which way to turn them. Was natural just from looking at my drone. I’ve had a few more since then but that was when I felt at home (fell in love) with my drone. Maybe you’ve had one too.

You and most of us here regarding sar104,I know,not all but most.
Bob

Reactions: Capt KO
Once you get the hang of those graphs they're extraordinarily informative.

Time is usually the horizontal axis. Each colored line represents the variance of one logged (or derived) value during the bracket of time.

The vertical axis labels and scales are colored to match the colors of the data lines. The data names are cryptic in some cases, but mostly just taken as-is from the names in the log file, exactly as DJI writes them. The analysis usually makes it clear, but certain terms--e.g., "elevator"--have roots in aviation that require some understanding. A glossary of the data field names would be nice, but I don't know of one.

I'll note here that these graphs present a special challenge for those of us with deficient color vision. For me, half the battle is trying to figure out which line is red and which is green. A 1-pixel line provides a weak color signal for my eyes.

The lines sometimes have a pattern--dashes or dots or various beads--and those cues (you listening @sar104 ??‍♂️?) help a lot! It's tricky, of course, there are times when line decorations might obscure more than they reveal.

Reactions: hashfly and Capt KO
I

Time is usually the horizontal axis. Each colored line represents the variance of one logged (or derived) value during the bracket of time.

The vertical axis labels and scales are colored to match the colors of the data lines. The data names are cryptic in some cases, but mostly just taken as-is from the names in the log file, exactly as DJI writes them. The analysis usually makes it clear, but certain terms--e.g., "elevator"--have roots in aviation that require some understanding. A glossary of the data field names would be nice, but I don't know of one.

I'll note here that these graphs present a special challenge for those of us with deficient color vision. For me, half the battle is trying to figure out which line is red and which is green. A 1-pixel line provides a weak color signal for my eyes.

The lines sometimes have a pattern--dashes or dots or various beads--and those cues (you listening @sar104 ??‍♂️?) help a lot! It's tricky, of course, there are times when line decorations might obscure more than they reveal.
Same here, color blind. Had to jump through hoops to get my Pilot and Captains licenses. Got instrument rated, all good.

I

Same here, color blind. Had to jump through hoops to get my Pilot and Captains licenses. Got instrument rated, all good.
Those of us who are (Red/Green) color blind know all the issues we have with many different experiences in life which normal color vision people don't quite understand. "What color do you see when you look at something RED?" Duh.......

Reactions: Prismatic
Those of us who are (Red/Green) color blind know all the issues we have with many different experiences in life which normal color vision people don't quite understand. "What color do you see when you look at something RED?" Duh.......
Color blindness must seem strange to those with normal color vision. I can see red and green and easily distinguish them in most situations, like, say, traffic lights. Where I have trouble is where the color signal is weak and/or mixed. If you hand me an Indian Paintbrush (photo below) I'll see it's red, but I'll never spot it at a distance surrounded by grasses. Those with a more severe deficiency can have trouble even with traffic lights.
il_570xN.702403176_4owm.jpg

I'll see if I can do better in terms of making the traces clearer. I can easily increase the line thickness, but typically don't because it makes it look rather garish. Garish is probably better than indistinguishable though. I generally use the various dashed lines to separate different classes of trace, such as stick inputs from resulting attitude changes, but that's completely arbitrary. I also try to rename the traces that have obscure names, but a simple glossary is also easy - I'll make one and add it to the sticky thread.

I'll see if I can do better in terms of making the traces clearer. I can easily increase the line thickness, but typically don't because it makes it look rather garish. Garish is probably better than indistinguishable though. I generally use the various dashed lines to separate different classes of trace, such as stick inputs from resulting attitude changes, but that's completely arbitrary. I also try to rename the traces that have obscure names, but a simple glossary is also easy - I'll make one and add it to the sticky thread.
It’s fine the way it is. I can differentiate enough to get through. But I never shop for clothes without my wife, she keeps me from buying pink T-shirt thinking they’re tan. ?

I certainly don't expect anything major. Using line styles to "group" related fields is an excellent tactic. Boosting the line weight of key traces (for a given analysis) could sometimes be helpful, to make them stand out on the plate of spaghetti. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the esthetics too much; as my color-blind friends in New Yaak would say, "I don't know from garish!"

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada