DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The "best" framerate? 24 vs 30 vs 60

Reactions
Just wondering what most people are using? 24p, 30p or 60p? I've seen some youtube videos where they mentioned preferring 30 fps, but not all of those were geared towards drone videography. They did mention the 180 rule, where if you're shooting 30 fps, you'd use a 1/60 shutter speed. So, what does everyone think?

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Just wondering what most people are using? 24p, 30p or 60p? I've seen some youtube videos where they mentioned preferring 30 fps, but not all of those were geared towards drone videography. They did mention the 180 rule, where if you're shooting 30 fps, you'd use a 1/60 shutter speed. So, what does everyone think?
As a professional photographer, I always shoot 4K 60 fps video. You can always transcode the video down to 30 or 24 fps and the resolution down to 1080 i/p, and memory cards are cheap. However, going the other direction often introduces objectionable artifacts and muddled details. Bottom line - you can always reduce quality with good results but not so much in the other direction.

Not a hard-core video guy, but I use 25 on the Mini2. If I was wanting to smooth things out I'd probably go to 50.
But maybe that's just my PAL (not NTSC) upbringing showing through.

There is no "best".
Use whatever is appropriate for your video.
If you don't know which that is, do some testing and see what works for you.

Reactions: EricJT and FLDave
As a professional photographer, I always shoot 4K 60 fps video. You can always transcode the video down to 30 or 24 fps and the resolution down to 1080 i/p, and memory cards are cheap. However, going the other direction often introduces objectionable artifacts and muddled details. Bottom line - you can always reduce quality with good results but not so much in the other direction.
The Mini 2 only shoots 60fps up to 2.7k. 4K maxes at 30fps.

Personally, I shoot 4k30 since I can’t really tell the difference with 24fps.

There is no "best".
Use whatever is appropriate for your video.
If you don't know which that is, do some testing and see what works for you.
Exactly! The slowest video shutter speed at 60fps is 1/60 sec, while at 30fps it is 1/30 sec. Shooting at 4K 60fps at night, wide open, loses an entire stop of light over 4k 30fps, which either introduces more noise at a twice the ISO, or just turns the scene black because you have already maxed out the video ISO. Choose wisely, based upon what is appropriate for your video.

Reactions: JoelP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer