DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Drone Gods Do Not Want Me Flying at Torrance Beach

robotarmy

Reactions
Today I went to TB for the 4th Sat in a row. The 1st week it was too windy. The second week it was really foggy. Last week it was the LAANC outage. Which leads us to today. I got my LAANC auth before I left, but when I got there, I got this screen (attached). When I clicked yes, I got another screen that said I didn't have an Internet connection. The controller said I could "unlock the authorization zones manually" or something to that effect. I even tried to find an unlocked WiFi signal in the area to no avail.

COUPLE QUESTIONS:​

1. What would I do in a situation like that? If I leave and find an Internet connection, I will be in a different location from where I got LAANC auth.
  2. How does my Smart Controller connect to the Internet? In what situations does the SC need an Internet connection? I've never been told I can't fly because I have no Internet connection.
  3. Anybody know what the unlocking auth zones manually is all about?
I must be missing something. Any ideas?
Thanks...!

Attachments

• 024957l4d8dqlasvzsalv3.png
    024957l4d8dqlasvzsalv3.png
    917.2 KB · Views: 30
Marty's advice should get you flying soon. Great place to fly just off the end of KTOA. Very scenic with PV just around the bend. Caution the banner tows. The tow plane is probably a required? altitude but some of those big banners can hang pretty low.

Reactions: robotarmy
LAANC authorization has nothing to do with DJI's GeoZone authorization unlock process. You need the LAANC authorization to be "legal", but you still need to unlock with DJI to actually have the drone take-off. This requires that you either have an internet connection to your device "in the field", or that you get the DJI unlock ahead of time via the self-unlock website: flysafe-website-fe

You then need to connect your mobile device to the internet and start the DJI Fly (or DJI Go 4) app for it to download the unlock so it's available once you are in the field.

Marty's advice should get you flying soon. Great place to fly just off the end of KTOA. Very scenic with PV just around the bend. Caution the banner tows. The tow plane is probably a required? altitude but some of those big banners can hang pretty low.
Copy that. Thanks, you're obviously familiar with the area. There are NO DRONES signs all over the beach, courtesy of LA County Beaches, but my guess is as long as I don't launch or land on the beach I am good to go as far as the City of Torrance is concerned. I spoke at length to a Torrance PD official who told me in the City of Torrance, just follow FAA...

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks, Marty—good advice and very easy—already set up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue