DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Era of The Big Brother Drone is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerider

Reactions
The Era of The Big Brother Drone
The DJI drones and others as well, add yet another avenue for Big Brother to ‘spy’ on us. Like the auto insurance company that offers lower rates for using their wifi dongle in your car to monitor your driving habits, so to the wifi connected drones do as well. I noticed that on signing the service agreement with DJI that all my privacy rights are waived and all data will be shared with DJI and God knows who else like the NSA, CIA, FBI, FAA, Chinese & US governments, etc. As if we needed another privacy violation, we with these drones have willingly allowed that to happen. When registering a drone with the FAA, we are now subject to compliance controls. What form will that take should soon be apparent. How will the drone cloud data be used?

US Gov says China may have access to Drone Data! Ya think? Really? Is that why the DJI tech support responses have all those Chinese characters in the email? How about the US gov agencies also having access? Do you really think they don’t? Everything or do or say within reception distance of the drone is going to the cloud in the sky. Just say Alexa, play my favorite song.

How long will it be do you think, before the Feds aka FAA will issue violations from flight data? Flying too high, 1-week suspension? Flying in prohibited areas, jail time, fine or worse? With the wifi connection ‘they’ could shut down your drone at any time they please. If you are a ‘trouble maker’ in the eyes of the bureaucrats what is to prevent ‘them’ from hacking your drone and causing a fly away or unexplained crash? Maybe that is already happening? How about opening up your drone microphone and camera to gather intelligence data for use in prosecution or just perusing your flight log?

I bought my drone to enjoy the hobby of aerial photography and just to enjoy flying it around to relax. The powers that be cannot resist this ‘tool’ to gather data for use (as they see fit as all unscrupulous power-hungry control freaks employed in the government and corporate ranks) as they no doubt already are doing.

The solution? Get rid of the drone? Maybe. Turn off your wifi connection? Why not? You just won’t receive any new updates which contain new spy ware. Just ignore ‘them’ and have fun flying? I think a combination of these is my solution for now.

The powers that be cannot resist this ‘tool’ to gather data for use (as they see fit as all unscrupulous power-hungry control freaks employed in the government and corporate ranks) as they no doubt already are doing.
If you think all that is happening with your drone, you'd be alarmed to find out what your microwave oven and refrigerator have been doing too.

So....Another US gov agency falls in line with Homeland Security. Much of the data is already available through Google Earth. If you fly within FAA regs you don’t really introduce new personal risks.

Many discussions of this topic are already on the forum. Just search it.

Paranoia is fun. What kind of data do you think Uncle Sam or the Chinese government are going to collect about you flying your toy drone out in the middle of nowhere?

If you were using it to fly over military installations that would be one thing. But no one cares about you flying over the local city park.

You do realize your smartphone is constantly collecting data about you, right? Third party apps are tracking what websites you visit, what apps you have on your device, how often you use them etc.
They track your speed when you drive. How do you think google maps and Apple maps can indicate traffic congestion ahead and estimate travel time quite accurately? They also know when you are speeding. But they are not in the business of getting their consumers in trouble with the law. Do you think DJI will report you when they find you are breaking FAA regulation? Unless you crash a commercial plane with your drone, DJI doesn’t care what you do with your drone.
I wondering why people paranoid about being watched by governments still use the internet?

Not really worried about the government looking thru my flight logs when the FAA doesn't have the manpower or time to do safety inspections who is going to mine the 500k flight logs created each month?

If you think all that is happening with your drone, you'd be alarmed to find out what your microwave oven and refrigerator have been doing too.
I don't have any other 'smart' spy devices in my home. For that reason. My phone is kept in a remote part of my house most of the time.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
You do realize your smartphone is constantly collecting data about you, right? Third party apps are tracking what websites you visit, what apps you have on your device, how often you use them etc.
They track your speed when you drive. How do you think google maps and Apple maps can indicate traffic congestion ahead and estimate travel time quite accurately? They also know when you are speeding. But they are not in the business of getting their consumers in trouble with the law. Do you think DJI will report you when they find you are breaking FAA regulation? Unless you crash a commercial plane with your drone, DJI doesn’t care what you do with your drone.
I wondering why people paranoid about being watched by governments still use the internet?
I'm not paranoid. They are really watching me.

So....Another US gov agency falls in line with Homeland Security. Much of the data is already available through Google Earth. If you fly within FAA regs you don’t really introduce new personal risks.

Many discussions of this topic are already on the forum. Just search it.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

It is obvious from some of the responses here that many are already resigned to being compliant serfs. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were out countrymen. You know the rest of it right?

Reactions: Drgnfli and strdr
It is obvious from some of the responses here that many are already resigned to being compliant serfs. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were out countrymen. You know the rest of it right?

It's kind of a typical attitude on here. Makes me shake my head.

I understand how some people feel others have acquiesced to the data collection devils. Some of us have fought the fight to stem the tide for multiple decades without success. Unfortunately, what I have come to realize is that if you want to participate in the technology age, information sharing is a huge part of it. If you download an app and press “I Agree” to the legal gobbledygook you have given permission to collect your information. Now, it is typically only used in aggregate without your personal identity attached but there are many cases where you have agreed to let the company share your specific information with their corporate “partners”. Information sharing is a huge legal business.

You can choose not to participate by not having a computer or cell phone, not buy anything online, not own a house, etc, etc and attempt to protect yourself. But I suspect even that will be difficult.

If you are an active participant in today’s society where information is the number one currency, privacy has a new definition.

Get a dedicated smart device for your drone and keep it stock and clean without any identifiable information. Get a burner sim card for data (watch the cameras at Wal-Mart and pay in cash you got from a hotdog stand in a neighboring community). The only info that will get pulled will be directly related to the drone. I also suggest a dummy Gmail that you never log into except on the dedicated device in order to register for related services. Dress in Hawaiian shirts and sandals with socks so that you blend in and never revisit the same place twice. Make sure everything is powered down and hard reset before moving so that you can't be tracked. You made need to reload some apps after resetting the device but its a small price to pay.

Oh, make sure to purchase your drone from via a proxy or with cash (again hotdog stand cash would be best) from craigslist. I am not sure about how to register it with the FAA yet. I am still brainstorming that one.

Lighten up, Francis. BTW- I think you missed that left turn at Albuquerque..... Infowars is thataway ------>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S