DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Land of Ice & Fire (Part 6 - Bíldudalur)

MPone

Reactions

We were basically following the coastline of the Westfjords on the fairly smooth dirt road northbound. With the 4wd engage I managed to cruise at around 90 km/h (55 mp/h), having fun and sliding at sharp corners as if I'm driving a Subaru Impreza WRX. After crossing at the very top of a mountain pass, we were looking at this beautiful view of another small fishing village of Bíldudalur. I fired up the engines of MP"one" and let her swoop down for a closer view. Surrounded by layered, flat top mountains, Bíldudalur is an attractive fishing village settled on the Arnarfjörður fjord. This fjord-side location is responsible for the village’s envious reputation as “the good weather capital” of the Westfjords.

Cool! Thanks for searching.
I’m surprised algae could grow in this cold weather place.

No worries, my mind is always busy, so Google is an incredibly useful tool.

After my post above, I was asking myself what do they use this algae for ?

Found these for your interest . . .

Bíldudalur | Guide to Iceland
(Bíldudalur fjord) "Arnarfjörður is positively teeming with Lithothamnion Tophiforme, red algae which, when processed, becomes seaweed-derived Hafkalk, a natural supplement."

Algae from Iceland Popular Dietary Supplement
"Hafkalk is a dietary supplement produced from calcareous algae which is pumped out of the ocean floor in Arnarfjördur, the West Fjords, and dried in a factory in Bíldudalur. The algae are also used for animal feed and fertilizers."

"The factory is run by Íslenska kalkthörungafélagid, which is owned by an Irish company."

"Managing director of Íslenska kalkthörungafélagid Gudmundur Valgeir Magnússon said increased sales has led to all of the factory space being used. Employees work on shifts around the clock and can hardly cope with the demand. "

"The company has invested in another dryer and begun constructing a building to house the new equipment.
It is estimated that 35,000-40,000 tons of algae will be processed this year with the ability to double the amount in 2012 after the new dryer will be taken into use."

Bíldudalur Gets First New Apartment Building in 29 Years
"Bíldudalur will be getting its first new apartment building in 29 years.
The building is being constructed by Íslenska kalkþörungafélagið, a company that harvests and processes red algae from Arnarfjörður fjord, for its employees, as there is a lack of available housing in the village."

The use for fertiliser too, COULD be why I spotted THIS story :D
Giant Rhubarb Grows In Bíldudalur - The Reykjavik Grapevine
This lady doesn't mention her secret weapon for giant Rhubarb !! I bet it's the algae !! Lol.

Reactions: MPone
No worries, my mind is always busy, so Google is an incredibly useful tool.

After my post above, I was asking myself what do they use this algae for ?

Found these for your interest . . .

Bíldudalur | Guide to Iceland
(Bíldudalur fjord) "Arnarfjörður is positively teeming with Lithothamnion Tophiforme, red algae which, when processed, becomes seaweed-derived Hafkalk, a natural supplement."

Algae from Iceland Popular Dietary Supplement
"Hafkalk is a dietary supplement produced from calcareous algae which is pumped out of the ocean floor in Arnarfjördur, the West Fjords, and dried in a factory in Bíldudalur. The algae are also used for animal feed and fertilizers."

"The factory is run by Íslenska kalkthörungafélagid, which is owned by an Irish company."

"Managing director of Íslenska kalkthörungafélagid Gudmundur Valgeir Magnússon said increased sales has led to all of the factory space being used. Employees work on shifts around the clock and can hardly cope with the demand. "

"The company has invested in another dryer and begun constructing a building to house the new equipment.
It is estimated that 35,000-40,000 tons of algae will be processed this year with the ability to double the amount in 2012 after the new dryer will be taken into use."

Bíldudalur Gets First New Apartment Building in 29 Years
"Bíldudalur will be getting its first new apartment building in 29 years.
The building is being constructed by Íslenska kalkþörungafélagið, a company that harvests and processes red algae from Arnarfjörður fjord, for its employees, as there is a lack of available housing in the village."

The use for fertiliser too, COULD be why I spotted THIS story :D
Giant Rhubarb Grows In Bíldudalur - The Reykjavik Grapevine
This lady doesn't mention her secret weapon for giant Rhubarb !! I bet it's the algae !! Lol.

Wow! That's some research. Thanks for all the info :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin