DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Latest Effort to Ban DJI in America.

As a non-technical guy, isn't it possible for the transmission stream from a DJI drone to be deconstructed in order to detect data being sent to China?
Its Really not about the data Its all about the Widget. They made a huge mistake in their Trade Agreements with China and instead of admitting and correcting their mistake, They instead launch a campaign against one of the companies that took advantage of these lax rules. and what better way to do it than DRONES.
They now want to Scare the public into buying American!

what they are trying to do has no basis in fact and they are opening up a HUGE can of worms here! Am I now going to have to submit page after page of paperwork verifying the origin of every component on my drone?
WE don't necessarily know that there is no basis for the regs. There may well not be, but we don't know that. Not like the US would show it's hand if we did have info on that. Let's remember that the folks in congress have access to classified info--we don't.
What can of worms?? What paperwork? This is pure conjecture.

Reactions: 51 Drones
I may be alone in this, but as a Part 107 pilot, I could care less if DJI drones are banned for anything governmental whether it's local or federal level.
Same here. If the Feds don’t wanna use them, don’t.

Don't forget, the Canadian government discovered Huwei was using their phones for actual spy purposes and banned them from all government use. You can still get Huwei phones in Canada and the U.S. I doubt that DJI will be banned from the general marketplace.

That's always the argument about the slippery slope. But it almost never happens.
It already has with drones. First it started off with federal and now it has made it was to federal and state and local. Next this bill is look at lumping in anyone who has any affiliation with federal in the form of loans, grants, etc. Can you see how slowly they are making their way to including *everyone* and before you know it, very few people can legally fly a DJI drone.
Don't forget, the Canadian government discovered Huwei was using their phones for actual spy purposes and banned them from all government use. You can still get Huwei phones in Canada and the U.S. I doubt that DJI will be banned from the general marketplace.
I agree no govt has banned consumers from buying the Huwei phone because it's not likely the US Govt would do that but they don't have to. They just make it clear to the cellphone carriers to not sell one to you or hook up your phone on their service. Very few people can seek out an FCC approved unlocked phone and fire it up on any network and with Huwei phones being less than 1%, why would they bother?

However DJI drones are everywhere and it undermines the "narrative" if consumers are not only allowed to fly them freely but also fly them in and near anywhere freely. If we don't help push back on this, it won't be good news for the recreational community...one way or another.

But we know what's coming next after the feds ban them from themselves. You are next.
I totally understand the concern of the Fed not wanting to use them for their more”sensitive” applications. There’s not much secret information to be gained by the Chinese of me flying my drone around my community park. I’d be more worried about the motives of American big business.

I totally understand the concern of the Fed not wanting to use them for their more”sensitive” applications. There’s not much secret information to be gained by the Chinese of me flying my drone around my community park. I’d be more worried about the motives of American big business.
I agree there isn't much secret information to be gained by the Chinese by you flying around the park. But when everything get labeled critical infrastructure and then DJI drones are not allowed within 1000 feet of critical infrastructure....in my town, there is a government agency or critical infrastructure on every block on every street at least a dozen around the community park. The only solution to guarantee will be to confine your drone to a FRIA. It's not going to matter anything about secrets, it will be the least common denominator.

Reactions: Cafguy
I find the "security" concern a bit questionable.

I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned in the video that there were a few governmental organizations that would be exempt from the ban...including the Departments of State, Justice and Defense.

Aren't those government departments the exact ones who would be the most damaging to US security if their data got released to bad actors? But they aren't required to follow the ban?

I think I smell a fish...

Reactions: Cafguy
They want to band the DJI Drone, however, they will carry around an IPHONE made in CHINA!!
Actually, my understanding is that China bans government workers from carrying or using I-Phones in government buildings for reasons of national security even though parts are manufactured there! Apple has made changes to its iOS software in the past simply to appease China, such as limiting air drop time window and removing the Taiwanese flag. China also bans military and government personnel from owning or using Tesla vehicles for fear they are phoning home to the USA.

It's the fact that the software talks to DJI.
Yes, that it a bad thing by itself. Why should you have to log in to fly your drone. Just like Google keeps track of where you've been. Very bad. And we can't use cellular connectivity without going back to Chinese servers.

Maybe the federal government should ban mavicpilots members, from promoting their YouTube channels on mavicpilots!
There’s a difference between promoting and sharing info with the group. I have no need to promote. My channel feeds itself. This is a good place to share information for people who are seeking it. Appreciate your thoughtful opinion though.

Enterprise drones can have encrypted records and like many of us, can fly without connections to the Internet. I'd be more worried about domestic terrorists or hackers wanting to take control of the drones for nefarious purposes.
I can see some worries arising about the uses of inspection drones taking close up views of critical infrastructure for safety audits - bridges, electrical grids, buildings, antenna towers, etc.
In those cases and others where first responders, police, detectives, etc. are using this equipment, they should also be making sure their system is secure, encrypted and the integrity of the data from SD cards and uploads to servers for backup are all safe no matter where the drones were manufactured.

Reactions: djwak59
There are no American-made drones currently on the market that come close to the performance of DJI drones.
Yup, I am giving Autel a try due to their close out prices on their v2's... their hardware seems OK, but my god, their App and software sucks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer