DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Latest Effort to Ban DJI in America.

Saw it on your channel earlier; I assumed the ban bill would not pass as usual but I guess we're getting closer than ever. Can I get one Skydio X10 please? :)

There are no American-made drones currently on the market that come close to the performance of DJI drones.

Exactly WHICH COMPONENT on the DJI drone do these Lobbyist find questionable that I can't just swap out myself and still use for Gov work? Maybe I might want to use my Mavic Pro that really isnt a Mavic Pro anymore but a DJI Plastic frame with other peoples electronics stuffed in it. Is that not possible because the Frame is branded DJI?

@51 Drones you're saying the average citizen should be concerned because this will make local law enforcement and sheriff departments less effective? How did they manage to be effective before DJI drones existed?

I'm certain you said quite clearly that the Bill in question would affect "recreational and hobbyist" owners of DJI products... clearly inferring that the legislation would directly impact grass-roots Americans who don't wear a uniform or have a sticky mitt held out for a Federal grant. So, how, exactly would Homer from the Bayou be affected when he wants to use his Mavic to drop catfish bait? You are absolutely correct about there being a grand total of one domestic American manufacturer that could produce a drone that is more-or-less on a par with the millions of DJI models currently whizzing about through the skies, but they have kicked the commercial market out of bed and set their sights to exclusively cater for security and military sponsors, so no grass-roots drones for grass-roots punters there, Skydio.

I find it really funny that not one of the General Patton clones getting bent out of shape about hypothetical 'Chinese spy-tech' has raised a single word of complaint about Google Earth, which byte for byte offers a far more accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date photographic source of potentially compromising image data from 10,000 feet all the way down to street level. This attitude regarding China isn't anything new and I can recall at least a couple of occasions in the last three years where the Red-under-the-bed McCarthyistic rhetoric has been dragged out of Grandpa's campaign chest, dusted off and then trotted out... on both sides of the Atlantic - yes, we in the UK had to put up with tub-thumping panic-mongers as well - just before Huawei ended up being told to take a hike with their 5G network.

On either side of The Pond, I honestly think that those of us who own and use DJI (or Hubsan, or Autel, or Yuneec) drones have more to worry about with the alterations in Aviation Authority regulations, which will eventually freeze the vast majority of us (including those who pay the peppercorn annual license for 'recreational use') out of the airspace as and when the big commercial carriers get their ducks in a row and then start to insist that we are the single danger to their sub-400' airspace... the airspace that they will have paid Aviation Authorities obscenely large annual fees to license for commercial use.
After all: this isn't exactly without precedent - as anyone who operates ham radio will recall, when in the 1990's, Government departments sold off wide swathes of radio frequency bandwidths used by licensed amateur radio enthusiasts to mobile phone companies, leaving the license paying ham radio operators staring at the two thirds of their dial they couldn't legally use anymore.

As a recreational pilot flying consumer drones in the government airspace that everyone wants to own from the federal to the state to the local to private people and private business, we are at the bottom of the food chain and will always come last. Every decision made about drones will ultimately impact us whether directly or indirectly. They may be coming after someone else today, but tomorrow it will be you. Count on it. It's never too late to push back, now would be a good time to start if you haven't already.

@51 Drones you're saying the average citizen should be concerned because this will make local law enforcement and sheriff departments less effective? How did they manage to be effective before DJI drones existed?

Don't you think that's a bit of a strained question?

How were they effective before radios?

Before automobiles?

Etc.

LE effectiveness is not binary. They are effective at any point in time; they're just more so with radios, and drones even more.

Yes the Chinese Government is Communist -We get that.
Yes I suppose that Government could somehow use my drone as a spy tool- Just the same as ANY Chinese manufactured Electronics product.
But instead of Making things Easier for an American Company to produce an American counterpart, The Gov. spends god knows how many dollars punishing existing owners and (local Governments who had already signed contracts with DJI!?) - Spinning tales about DJI spy vehicles. Where was the Gov. 20 years ago when I was trying to get a refund for my poorly made by DJI Cloned part.- nowhere. BUT now that they seem to think DJI somehow cost the navy a bunch of money -Here come their guns.
What company (regardless of country) in the history of Government contracts won't do what they can- sneeky or not to win a contract? Heck DJI was all set to build a huge manufacturing facility here in California just to supply drones to the Government that's all smoke in the wind now. If the Government is so worried about China then stop importing Electronics from there -OOP's ... I guess you can't.- Kinda a double edge sword there now isn't it!

The government Knows you don't want to fork over hundreds of dollars more for a drone that is produced with -Higher Wages, OSHA regulations, Local, State, and Federal Taxes, Labor laws,and health care. SO They instead, will turn the company that imports reasonably priced drones to the U.S. into a "puppet company" only interested in Spying on the U.S.
I for one pass on that shot of Kool-Aid.
Change the Laws that you make American companies have to follow, And stop making new ones everyday that hinder any hope of growth for an American company. Who by the way are already at a disadvantage in today's modern World anyway.

Last edited:
Exactly WHICH COMPONENT on the DJI drone do these Lobbyist find questionable that I can't just swap out myself and still use for Gov work? Maybe I might want to use my Mavic Pro that really isnt a Mavic Pro anymore but a DJI Plastic frame with other peoples electronics stuffed in it. Is that not possible because the Frame is branded DJI?
Where they're made. It's strictly a political thing and makes no sense at all, but that's where we are.

Reactions: aaarke and Cafguy
I'm certain you said quite clearly that the Bill in question would affect "recreational and hobbyist" owners of DJI products... clearly inferring that the legislation would directly impact grass-roots Americans who don't wear a uniform or have a sticky mitt held out for a Federal grant. So, how, exactly would Homer from the Bayou be affected when he wants to use his Mavic to drop catfish bait? You are absolutely correct about there being a grand total of one domestic American manufacturer that could produce a drone that is more-or-less on a par with the millions of DJI models currently whizzing about through the skies, but they have kicked the commercial market out of bed and set their sights to exclusively cater for security and military sponsors, so no grass-roots drones for grass-roots punters there, Skydio.

I find it really funny that not one of the General Patton clones getting bent out of shape about hypothetical 'Chinese spy-tech' has raised a single word of complaint about Google Earth, which byte for byte offers a far more accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date photographic source of potentially compromising image data from 10,000 feet all the way down to street level. This attitude regarding China isn't anything new and I can recall at least a couple of occasions in the last three years where the Red-under-the-bed McCarthyistic rhetoric has been dragged out of Grandpa's campaign chest, dusted off and then trotted out... on both sides of the Atlantic - yes, we in the UK had to put up with tub-thumping panic-mongers as well - just before Huawei ended up being told to take a hike with their 5G network.

On either side of The Pond, I honestly think that those of us who own and use DJI (or Hubsan, or Autel, or Yuneec) drones have more to worry about with the alterations in Aviation Authority regulations, which will eventually freeze the vast majority of us (including those who pay the peppercorn annual license for 'recreational use') out of the airspace as and when the big commercial carriers get their ducks in a row and then start to insist that we are the single danger to their sub-400' airspace... the airspace that they will have paid Aviation Authorities obscenely large annual fees to license for commercial use.
After all: this isn't exactly without precedent - as anyone who operates ham radio will recall, when in the 1990's, Government departments sold off wide swathes of radio frequency bandwidths used by licensed amateur radio enthusiasts to mobile phone companies, leaving the license paying ham radio operators staring at the two thirds of their dial they couldn't legally use anymore.
VERY well said, and from someone who’s not even IN America. Just an example of more fear mongering from some people in Congress to get votes. Keep voters scared, and lobbyists $$$$ flowing, that’s how to win elections and keep big business happy.

It's not the hardware. It's the fact that the software talks to DJI. They think the drones are sending back sensitive data to China. Total paranoia. There has never been on shred of published evidence of this.

I may be alone in this, but as a Part 107 pilot, I could care less if DJI drones are banned for anything governmental whether it's local or federal level.

• Wow
Reactions: careless
As a non-technical guy, isn't it possible for the transmission stream from a DJI drone to be deconstructed in order to detect data being sent to China?

Reactions: Markptate1962
I may be alone in this, but as a Part 107 pilot, I could care less if DJI drones are banned for anything governmental whether it's local or federal level.
I really could care less about that myself-- Except for the fact that what they are trying to do has no basis in fact and they are opening up a HUGE can of worms here! Am I now going to have to submit page after page of paperwork verifying the origin of every component on my drone?
By trying to Open up a Market to American producers that they themselfs have closed, The Government is just paving the way for more regulation in an already over regulated industry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4