Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic Air is ideal for indoor tactical SWAT operations

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
The local SWAT team has a new M2E and asked for help with it. Today I spent an incredible 8 hours with them going nonstop. They not only learned a ton - so did I. The Mavic Air is ideal for indoor tactical operations with prop guards. You need to disable obstacle avoidance. But the signal range is astonishing indoors. We flew it down multiple hallways clearing rooms as we went with the pilot stationary at one end of the building .... and never lost signal strength through multiple walls. Up and down stairwells. Very , very impressive how it neatly wraps in with their tactical ops in room/building clearing. They were impressed; but I was even more impressed with it.

The outdoor flights with the M2E were also impressive. By the end of the day they were doing beautiful manual orbits, even night time orbits around a distant water tower. The night flights were spectacular and they learned how to use their lasers to guide the drone into a specific target. The zoom on the M2E is phenomenal.

I'm going to find a way to get them a Mavic Air (their M2E was donated.) They can use the Air for indoor ops and M2E for outdoor ops.

A great day ...

The local SWAT team has a new M2E and asked for help with it. Today I spent an incredible 8 hours with them going nonstop. They not only learned a ton - so did I. The Mavic Air is ideal for indoor tactical operations with prop guards. You need to disable obstacle avoidance. But the signal range is astonishing indoors. We flew it down multiple hallways clearing rooms as we went with the pilot stationary at one end of the building .... and never lost signal strength through multiple walls. Up and down stairwells. Very , very impressive how it neatly wraps in with their tactical ops in room/building clearing. They were impressed; but I was even more impressed with it.

The outdoor flights with the M2E were also impressive. By the end of the day they were doing beautiful manual orbits, even night time orbits around a distant water tower. The night flights were spectacular and they learned how to use their lasers to guide the drone into a specific target. The zoom on the M2E is phenomenal.

I'm going to find a way to get them a Mavic Air (their M2E was donated.) They can use the Air for indoor ops and M2E for outdoor ops.

A great day ...
Best of both worlds would be a Mavic Air with thermal! Agreed the Air is a perfect indoor flyer, and those prop guards are way better on that drone than any of the others IMHO, and at 25% of the cost of the M2ED makes it more disposable. I wouldn't want to fly my M2ED in those indoor scenarios.

A great day ...

You could also use Assistant 1.1.2 to change sport mode to Atti mode that way if it loses and regains GPS it won’t go crazy.

Just curious, did you try the M2E indoors? I have flown my M2ED indoors, but just for short distances. There's a lot of settings to change to make it safer, especially the RTH to just hover.

Just curious, did you try the M2E indoors? I have flown my M2ED indoors, but just for short distances. There's a lot of settings to change to make it safer, especially the RTH to just hover.

No, we didn’t. I wasn’t keen to potentially damage a $2k drone when they were just learning to fly ... especially indoors that requires fine motor skills. Plus, the Air fits beautifully in their tactical vest and is ideal for tight space. Finally, if a bad guy is in the room they are clearing they will almost certainly lose the drone - much better to lose the Air than a M2E.

The Air is ideal for indoor tactical ops. I was astonished how well it kept signal through multiple walls. We need to find a flashlight for it that will fit with the prop guards on.

So the plan is to use the M2E for outdoor ops and the Air for indoors.

Last edited:
Thnak

A great day ...
Thanks for doing that.The more we interface with LEO's the better for the drone community.

Our SWAT and FD are having good luck with a tello for indoor. With the bubble cage, wifi amp, and a tiny light with Velcro, it has already been used to find a guy in an attic space.

Plus, at $99, they are very disposable.

Our SWAT and FD are having good luck with a tello for indoor. With the bubble cage, wifi amp, and a tiny light with Velcro, it has already been used to find a guy in an attic space.

Plus, at $99, they are very disposable.

Actually though about the Tello. Not sure what the range is like through multiple walls and floors, but suggested they give it a try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki