DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Most Inexpensive Software That Will Allow Dlog/HLG color processing for Air 2S?

Still does not import my h265 D-Log file - shows "media offline" and that's all.
What are you importing from?..... Resolve likes to leave the files on your SD card so they are only available when its plugged in. If you want ready access to them you will have to first move them to a folder in your computer then import the files from there. h265 D-Log is definitely working on my Mac.

I get the "media offline" message when I forget to move the files off the card.

You will also have to go to the Master Settings from the cog wheel in the bottom right and change the Timeline resolution, it seems to default to 2K and then complains when you want to export at a higher resolution until you change this setting.

Downloaded DJI plug-in for Air 2S. I don't understand the desire to format it for other cameras if the footage was taken from Air 2S, please school me.
well... your Air 2s is a hobby camera at best so its quality isn't top notch like a arri alexa is... so if you would like your footage to look better then you shoot the Air 2s in RAW format and then color grade that footage....so if you wanted your footage to look better... you do know that shooting in RAW mode you need to color grade the footage or it will be flat ... maybe this youtube vid will help you...
here is a youtube for you to watch...

What are you importing from?..... Resolve likes to leave the files on your SD card so they are only available when its plugged in. If you want ready access to them you will have to first move them to a folder in your computer then import the files from there. h265 D-Log is definitely working on my Mac.

I get the "media offline" message when I forget to move the files off the card.

You will also have to go to the Master Settings from the cog wheel in the bottom right and change the Timeline resolution, it seems to default to 2K and then complains when you want to export at a higher resolution until you change this setting.
When it's regular AVC file it works ok. I have both stored on one of internal SSDs or USB one. Working on Windows, so it could be a difference here.

EDIT: Seems that buying HEVC codec at M$ store helps to get it working properly.

Last edited:
Resolve automatically uses smaller proxy files to edit then renders in the higher resolution format you want on export so even a modest computer can handle the work. An old or lower spec computer will crawl on export but can still handle the editing.
Maybe it's a configuration thing. If I just import my 4k files in and try to scrub them on the cut screen, there is huge lag. When I go to export to 4k, it will complain that I'm exporting to a higher resolution than the project is set to. The project is set for regular HD by default, so to export 4k I have to change the project settings.

Maybe it's that my PC is wimpy enough that event the smaller proxy files don't help. It's an i5-9400 running 2.9 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and an SSD and a next to useless NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 graphics card.

I have been using Resolve Studio version since version 12. It was $299 then and it is still $299. The best investment into this hobby I ever made. Period. Nothing comes close.

Reactions: RGS2010
When I go to export to 4k, it will complain that I'm exporting to a higher resolution than the project is set to.
This part is set under the Master Settings cog wheel in the bottom right corner. It does this to me as well.... it seems to want to default to 2k then complain when I try to export at 4k so you have to change the Timeline setting to 4k. You can also look at the proxy settings there and see if you need to make a change to make them work better for you.

Reactions: maggior
Thanks for that valuable info...I'll definitely revisit Resolve on that glowing recommendation. Do you use ND filters for indoor shooting too or just outdoor? ...I imagine just outdoor since you want light and sharpness indoors (if you do indoors at all).
I don't use the drone indoors, HOWEVER, being in bright Florida, I have variable ND's on EVERY single lens that we use on our all of our Sony cameras (we shoot photos and video). When I shoot photos, I just rotate the ND off, then when shooting video, I'll just adjust for proper exposure...IF needed. Most times I don't even need the ND's indoors...

In regards to good beginner YT Channels on DaVinci Resolve, check out MrAlexTech (pretty much my fave and go to - learned pretty much EVERYTHING about Resolve from him) Casey Faris and then Learn Color Grading and Color Grading Central for the all important color grading assistance. I actually use the CinemaGrade plugin by Denver Riddell at Color Grading Central. It has sped my workflow up by 1/2, easily. Also, being in real estate now, you might want to purchase a good set of LUTs. I use Buttery LUTs. They have a great grouping for drones and I also use them on our Sony cameras, at the recommendation from "The Art of Real Estate Cinematagraphy" class we took.

I don't use the drone indoors, HOWEVER, being in bright Florida, I have variable ND's on EVERY single lens that we use on our all of our Sony cameras (we shoot photos and video). When I shoot photos, I just rotate the ND off, then when shooting video, I'll just adjust for proper exposure...IF needed. Most times I don't even need the ND's indoors...

In regards to good beginner YT Channels on DaVinci Resolve, check out MrAlexTech (pretty much my fave and go to - learned pretty much EVERYTHING about Resolve from him) Casey Faris and then Learn Color Grading and Color Grading Central for the all important color grading assistance. I actually use the CinemaGrade plugin by Denver Riddell at Color Grading Central. It has sped my workflow up by 1/2, easily. Also, being in real estate now, you might want to purchase a good set of LUTs. I use Buttery LUTs. They have a great grouping for drones and I also use them on our Sony cameras, at the recommendation from "The Art of Real Estate Cinematagraphy" class we took.
Thanks Dan.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
well... your Air 2s is a hobby camera at best so its quality isn't top notch like a arri alexa is... so if you would like your footage to look better then you shoot the Air 2s in RAW format and then color grade that footage....so if you wanted your footage to look better... you do know that shooting in RAW mode you need to color grade the footage or it will be flat ... maybe this youtube vid will help you...
Thank you, yes, I plan on shooting D-Log most of the time in RAW for best results.

Maybe it's a configuration thing. If I just import my 4k files in and try to scrub them on the cut screen, there is huge lag. When I go to export to 4k, it will complain that I'm exporting to a higher resolution than the project is set to. The project is set for regular HD by default, so to export 4k I have to change the project settings.

Maybe it's that my PC is wimpy enough that event the smaller proxy files don't help. It's an i5-9400 running 2.9 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and an SSD and a next to useless NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 graphics card.
Having just installed Resolve 17 last night, it asks you in the final setup phase to set a default resolution setting for projects. I set mine to 4K. Maybe that will help with the program complaining???

Reactions: maggior
I have to say I agree: Resolve is incredible, esp. if you intend to add audio.

I've been working on a prototype YouTube post that includes stills (from both my Air 2S and my Nikon), as well as video (from both). The editing of the voiceover and Nikon audio within Resolve (once you get comfortable) is great... and you can't beat the price.

There IS a learning curve; hit YouTube to get generally familiar with Resolve and whenever you get stuck on a point.

Plus you can go full Ken Burns with the stills.

Note: the full video is something like 9 minutes long, the only drone footage happens in the first few minutes... the rest is stills and Nikon video. Further (planned) extensions will include more drone work.
That was a really well done and informative video. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to go to your channel and sub as our business and see what more interesting things you post up...

Having just installed Resolve 17 last night, it asks you in the final setup phase to set a default resolution setting for projects. I set mine to 4K. Maybe that will help with the program complaining???
I actually prefer to leave it at HD because the performance is better for me while editing. I only need 4k when it comes time to render the project. I don't find it a big deal to change it then. There may be other ways to deal with that, but I found this to work.

That was a really well done and informative video. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to go to your channel and sub as our business and see what more interesting things you post up...
Thanks very much! There's nothing there yet (not even this one, not yet public), this is still a work-in-progress. Hope to have it done in a week or two. Spent today shooting in Benicia, Crockett and Eckley. Another day to patch the holes in shots for Martinez and Post Costa then edit edit edit, narrate, narrate, narrate.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
I'm starting out doing real estate videos on a budget. The Air 2S was a BIG expense. What is the most inexpensive software program that will allow me to color grade D-Log and HLG files?

Thx!
@RGS2010 I hope things are going well for you with Resolve ?? I too tried it (and FCP) but lost patience with the learning curve. I might revisit them again one day.

Have you considered LumaFusion? It’s Apple only though I think.

The feature-set is unreal for an app and both my iPhone and iPad rip through 4&5K files with ease (although you are limited to 4K output at present). You can also import LUT’s.

For your stills - again, Apple only (?) but Luminar AI is fantastic for editing. Super-easy to use and the things it can do that usually take lots of experience, take seconds.

Have a great day ?

@RGS2010 I hope things are going well for you with Resolve ?? I too tried it (and FCP) but lost patience with the learning curve. I might revisit them again one day.

Have you considered LumaFusion? It’s Apple only though I think.

The feature-set is unreal for an app and both my iPhone and iPad rip through 4&5K files with ease (although you are limited to 4K output at present). You can also import LUT’s.

For your stills - again, Apple only (?) but Luminar AI is fantastic for editing. Super-easy to use and the things it can do that usually take lots of experience, take seconds.

Have a great day ?
Thanks Pommy, yes I'm a Windows only PC kind of guy...love my iPhones and iPads but my major computing is Windows.

Reactions: pommy
I have to say I agree: Resolve is incredible, esp. if you intend to add audio.

I've been working on a prototype YouTube post that includes stills (from both my Air 2S and my Nikon), as well as video (from both). The editing of the voiceover and Nikon audio within Resolve (once you get comfortable) is great... and you can't beat the price.

There IS a learning curve; hit YouTube to get generally familiar with Resolve and whenever you get stuck on a point.

Plus you can go full Ken Burns with the stills.

Note: the full video is something like 9 minutes long, the only drone footage happens in the first few minutes... the rest is stills and Nikon video. Further (planned) extensions will include more drone work.
You've got a great narrator voice!

Reactions: CalOldBlue
I think you are getting a little confused. None of the consumer DJI drones shoot RAW format video. You can shoot flat if you want (which is what I think you are getting at) but not RAW.

Reactions: infohou
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki