DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There’s no fool like an old fool...Mavic Mini lost!!

I hate to be added to the list of lost Mavic Minis but here I am. However I must say that it was my fault not DJI as I panicked! I’ve been flying R/C for over 40 years and now have a few years on drones so there is no excuse. This was my second MM having returned the first one due to a disappointing CE range. So here I am on my favourite hill 18th December with nothing around for miles. I fly the FCC version of the MM out almost 2 km and I am very happy due to the excellent range that it has. Unfortunately a cold wind started to blow so I packed up and set off home. Once home as I had proven the FCC MM I decided on one more flight from my garden before calling it a day. Now here is my first mistake I didn’t do a compass calibration which is most unusual for me as I am a big believer in CC. The next mistake was not hearing “The Home Point has been updated please check it on the map” message. I took off full of confidence and flew out across the valley (my place is 350 m above sea level on the side of a mountain). Next mistake was my premature over confidence. Instead of flying VLOS (I know you guys are going to jump on me because of this) I flew out around 600 m saying to myself “I've got a FCC MM so no problem”!! Suddenly everything went dead. I lost the tablet screen, all 4 lights on the remote stared flashing. Now here is the final mistake. I didn’t wait for the RTH to kick in. I reasoned that if I pulled back on the remote stick I would fly backwards along the outgoing flight path. However I should have put the remote down and waited for the RTH.
A futile search of the are revealed nothing. Find My Drone showed the aircraft heading to the coast and out to sea. The Flight Data Centre showed the outgoing flight path and the beginning of a RTH which was interrupted (by me fiddling with the sticks I suppose) which then resulted in the aircraft flying into the side of the mountain.
I returned to my office and immediately ordered another MM CE version which on a good note arrived on Christmas Eve. Since then I have flown this one several times and by switching to manual in Channel Mode have managed to get out around 2 km on 2.4 GHz. I didn’t try this with my first MM unfortunately.
I still look out over the valley and wonder what happened to my poor ill fated Mavic Mini.
I now am the proud owner of a Mavic Mini FCC remote but no drone! By the way I can confirm that it won’t pair with my CE drone!!
Final note: I forgot to put my phone number on the aircraft….all my other drones have it!!

OldGuy/Old Fool!!
I am an "OldGuy" too and have a new Mavic Pro Platinum. I bought that 3 year old model, because it seemed to be quite reliable as most of the bugs have been worked out of it. I have flown it several times and have my FAA Recreatonal License as it is now. I am working on the 107. We must be safe with our drones or we will be outlawed from the sky. I check the apps to be sure it is safe to fly and I keep my Pro under 150 feet and within line of my aging sight as my skills are just developing on the sticks. So far, no problems, even in light winds. Primary FAA rule now is under 400 feet, don't fly in restricted areas, over people and keep it within line of sight. It is pretty simple, follow the rules and I hope not to get punished our hurt someone. If you want to know how far your drone will fly, there are lots of videos out there that tell you that. Don't risk our freedom to fly or risk hurting some people when your drone lands on its own...that can hurt some innocent people.

So you can buy an FCC and a CE version of the Mini?
yes the FCC for the US and the CE for europe and the rest of the world

Reactions: Thomas B
It'll be great if we get the flight log. Unless you cancelled rth, stick inputs wouldn't have over ridden the rth. Seems like the culprit could be the wind, but that's speculation. Would be quite keen to see the log.
Curious, did you check the map before or during launch? Also, have you considered recording the screen on your tx or goggles? I rarely calibrate, and no problems after over 90 hours/1000+ flights. M2P/Z+SC+Racing Goggles SE=AMAZING!

I hate to be added to the list of lost Mavic Minis but here I am. However I must say that it was my fault not DJI as I panicked! I’ve been flying R/C for over 40 years and now have a few years on drones so there is no excuse. This was my second MM having returned the first one due to a disappointing CE range. So here I am on my favourite hill 18th December with nothing around for miles. I fly the FCC version of the MM out almost 2 km and I am very happy due to the excellent range that it has. Unfortunately a cold wind started to blow so I packed up and set off home. Once home as I had proven the FCC MM I decided on one more flight from my garden before calling it a day. Now here is my first mistake I didn’t do a compass calibration which is most unusual for me as I am a big believer in CC. The next mistake was not hearing “The Home Point has been updated please check it on the map” message. I took off full of confidence and flew out across the valley (my place is 350 m above sea level on the side of a mountain). Next mistake was my premature over confidence. Instead of flying VLOS (I know you guys are going to jump on me because of this) I flew out around 600 m saying to myself “I've got a FCC MM so no problem”!! Suddenly everything went dead. I lost the tablet screen, all 4 lights on the remote stared flashing. Now here is the final mistake. I didn’t wait for the RTH to kick in. I reasoned that if I pulled back on the remote stick I would fly backwards along the outgoing flight path. However I should have put the remote down and waited for the RTH.
A futile search of the are revealed nothing. Find My Drone showed the aircraft heading to the coast and out to sea. The Flight Data Centre showed the outgoing flight path and the beginning of a RTH which was interrupted (by me fiddling with the sticks I suppose) which then resulted in the aircraft flying into the side of the mountain.
I returned to my office and immediately ordered another MM CE version which on a good note arrived on Christmas Eve. Since then I have flown this one several times and by switching to manual in Channel Mode have managed to get out around 2 km on 2.4 GHz. I didn’t try this with my first MM unfortunately.
I still look out over the valley and wonder what happened to my poor ill fated Mavic Mini.
I now am the proud owner of a Mavic Mini FCC remote but no drone! By the way I can confirm that it won’t pair with my CE drone!!
Final note: I forgot to put my phone number on the aircraft….all my other drones have it!!

OldGuy/Old Fool!!
Ok forgive my ignorance but what is a FCC version mm opposed to the CE version mm?

Ok forgive my ignorance but what is a FCC version mm opposed to the CE version mm?
The FCC version is 5.8ghz only transmitting at a higher power than the CE version - and has a quoted max range of 4k. The CE version uses 2.4ghz & 5.8ghz but has a lower transmission power with a quoted max range of 2km. If you fly a CE version in an FCC region (ie:USA) then your max range is still 2km. If you fly an FCC version in a CE region (ie: europe) then it will automatically lower the transmission power & people have tested it's max range to about 1.5km. However there is a way of fooling the MM to think it's in an FCC region in order to get the full transmission power.

I know that, i have forced my drones from CE to FCC. But if you buy a Mini from USA, it will still be FCC if to fly in Europe?
so i am sorry what was your question then

I know that, i have forced my drones from CE to FCC. But if you buy a Mini from USA, it will still be FCC if to fly in Europe?
Not by design - if you fly the FCC model in an EU country then it will automatically reduce the transmission power on 5.8ghz to be legal. DJI don't state the range of this, but people have tested it to 1.5km. As I said in my earlier post there is a workaround - but remember flying on FCC transmission power in an EU country is illegal.
btw

Deceptive signal strength indicator and no information about degraded signal performance until complete link loss. I probably lost my MM twice, first for this problem, then for the missed auto-RTH.

Deceptive signal strength indicator and no information about degraded signal performance until complete link loss. I probably lost my MM twice, first for this problem, then for the missed auto-RTH.

Just to be clear - that is only speculation. You don't know what happened to your MM.

Not by design - if you fly the FCC model in an EU country then it will automatically reduce the transmission power on 5.8ghz to be legal. DJI don't state the range of this, but people have tested it to 1.5km. As I said in my earlier post there is a workaround - but remember flying on FCC transmission power in an EU country is illegal.
btw

So, Mavic Mini bought in Europe can't be tricked into FCC and is stuck to CE?

So, Mavic Mini bought in Europe can't be tricked into FCC and is stuck to CE?
You can 'trick' your CE model to switch to FCC, but the hardware is different to the FCC model. As I mentioned previously, DJI don't state the range but people have tested it to about 1.5km, so less than in CE mode.
From my testing of the CE model, it's only busy 2.4g environments (such as houses/buildings with wifi) that is restricting the range. If you go out into the countryside you can easily go further than the stated 2km.

From the 'VLOS brigade ' If you fly to 2km again after your first loss and possibly hitting a house, you haven't learned as a pilot. Keeping it in sight is the only way to be a responsible drone operator !

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas