DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There I was, minding my own business

Ricky Nelson said it best 3 decades ago in his song, “Garden Party”: “But it’s alright now, I learned my lesson well. Ya see, ya can’t please everyone, so ya got to please yourself.”

The kind of “quiet” it appears this woman is in search of is not to be found in a public space where others are engaged in activities that may or may not result in silence - which THEY are entitled to.

Perhaps she needs to either buy a huge farm in the middle of nowhere in Kansas to take her pup to prance, walk her doggie at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, take her pooch to poop in Machu Picchu, or wait for the grave to find the solace she seeks. While it’s obviously true what others have said here about fellow citizens having a right to enjoy themselves at the same public park you have a right to fly a drone in, the double edges of that social sword are apparent and most definitely cut both ways.

People are everywhere and noise comes with them, even if it’s just the occasional fart. We’re supposed to learn, beginning in pre-school or in first grade, that living together in a community requires give and take on everyone’s part. Seems to me, based upon all of the info the OP has provided, this elderly woman failed to learn that, believes she deserves special privilege, and has an unrealistic sense of entitlement that too many other Americans from a wide range of sub-groups exhibit all too often today.

That woman is special, alright. Just like everyone else.

Last edited:
Sounds like my mom lol

if I see them and they see the drone I always ask how their doing and usually they bring up the drone and I say “it’s not going to bother you is it” and so far they have always said no.. many times they actually want to see what we see.

You have to feel it out and sensitive even though many people are paranoid and think you are spying.. to them I say “no I am watching out for government drones and keeping you safe...” that’s a joke

It is ridiculous, but if you aren’t hypersensitive to the feelings of hikers or fisherman , you might not have a place to fly next time.

If you are Certified.. you can even give out cards to people for aerial photography .. you can offer photos of their favorite locations from the air and frame or get a canvas print done.. so many possibilities and $$$$ If you are smart.

Reactions: jspil and BigAl07
Hmmm, there's several options to ponder here....

1) She was talking to the drone

2) She was talking with her guiding angel

3) She was talking with the big Boss upstairs

4) She was talking with her alter-ego personality
She may have been talking on her phone through a Bluetooth ear device

A lady and her dog walked by as I launched. I quickly made altitude so the sound wouldn't bother her (I could tell).

Anyway, she came back by twice!
On her last walk by she said to her dog loudly so I could hear, "It's okay we'll go home now."
Her dog wasn't bothered at all.

People are so lame sometimes.

[emoji23][emoji23]

In Australia you would be breaking the law. cannot fly within 30m of any person. I agree with this law and think if people get pissed off by our activities, then the lawmakers will just make it harder for us.

Reactions: Pietros
She may have been talking on her phone through a Bluetooth ear device

That's a VERY good point.

I am very deaf in high tones, industrial hearing loss or NIHL (noise induced hearing loss), but still a young 56.
When others I'm around take bluetooth calls, I usually can't hear their phone ring, and takes a few seconds sometimes to realise they are having a phone conversation.
In this situation, if she had a phone ring on silent it could be possible she was on the phone.

But I guess here TedShred advised the right situation, and she was not so subtlety displaying her dislike for her walk being disturbed, in her own mind at least.

Many grow older and get a little crankier and some people develop these traits more, we have to be sensitive to people that can develop slight psychosis, like talking aloud to themselves or their pets etc, they are probably lonely a lot of the time.

Reactions: unionglzr
Maybe it was not the noise your drone made, but the presence of the drone itself - with a camera.
It can make people very uncomfortable.
Before I had my drone, I did not like it when my neighbor (a few house down the street) sent his up to a few hundred feet. Having the drone hover up there for 5 minutes made me uncomfortable.
For that reason, I opt to fly the drone away from people, park my car far enough away.

Reactions: deleted member 877
A lady and her dog walked by as I launched. I quickly made altitude so the sound wouldn't bother her (I could tell).

On her last walk by she said to her dog loudly so I could hear, "It's okay we'll go home now."

[emoji23][emoji23]
you could've said, "thank you".

I am still overly conscious about my drone noise and my presence in places etc. I had some nice moo cards made with my youtube channel on them so that I can give out a card to someone walking by who expresses interest so I can share the videos with them hoping to make them a positive part of my work. I have also joined a facebook group that is dedicated to the preservation of the river I am most often filming. They really appreciate the aerial views of the space they love and I am hoping that sharing the beauty of the place from the unexpected perspective will engender some good will towards myself or others when we are seen out there in the world.

I am still overly conscious about my drone noise and my presence in places etc. I had some nice moo cards made with my youtube channel on them so that I can give out a card to someone walking by who expresses interest so I can share the videos with them hoping to make them a positive part of my work. I have also joined a facebook group that is dedicated to the preservation of the river I am most often filming. They really appreciate the aerial views of the space they love and I am hoping that sharing the beauty of the place from the unexpected perspective will engender some good will towards myself or others when we are seen out there in the world.
I had no idea what a moo card was until I read this but that’s a pretty good idea.

Hmmm, there's several options to ponder here....

1) She was talking to the drone

2) She was talking with her guiding angel

3) She was talking with the big Boss upstairs

4) She was talking with her alter-ego personality

I’d go with option 4

But seriously, i’ve Posted before about my dog going nuts at my P4P, he really dislikes it. Same with the Mavic. I’ve come across other dogs who have and then a lot aren’t bothered. Consensus was it may be sounds we humans don’t hear.
Could be that i’m Not Did the right thing by gaining height quickly. My dog loses interest when it gets higher.

But seriously, i’ve Posted before about my dog going nuts at my P4P, he really dislikes it. Same with the Mavic. I’ve come across other dogs who have and then a lot aren’t bothered. Consensus was it may be sounds we humans don’t hear.
Could be that i’m Not Did the right thing by gaining height quickly. My dog loses interest when it gets higher.
If you read your P4 manual. I think it's the downward sensor that make a pitch noise that only animals can hear, and it can bother/irritate them.

You may be over reacting. Did you ever stop to think that just maybe, she was trying to engage conversation with you? Maybe you could have talked to her, and possibly taught her about the drone. Also, you maybe could have let her take the controls and fly it a little bit. You might have even made a friend as well.

"Over reacting?" He didn't say anything in reply and says here he found it somewhat comical.

I guess it's hard to tell the full context of the scenario. There's always 2 sides to the story. Maybe her dog wanted to go for a walk, she did 3 short laps around the neighbourhood and told her dog it's time to go home. Maybe it was nothing to do with the drone.
Time to move on. Everything from here on is just speculation what really went on, including my own.
As for dogs, yeah some dogs are sensitive to drones. My friend has to lock his dog behind a gate when we fly our drones. He has a racing quad, not related to downward sensor.

[emoji23][emoji23]
She just sound pathetic to me. If she does nt have the decency to speak to you then what does she expect next time!
When the automobile was first invented someone had to walk infront with a flag.!!!

It was 'your noise' so it doesn't bother you. But I guess she was hoping for a quiet walk with her dog, so it bothered her. It happens. Sometimes people go to the park to sit quietly to read a book or something, and gets interrupted by noise.
Just as you hope others to be understanding of your hobby, you need to be a little bit more understanding of others. She could be going through a personal crises and need some fresh air and peace and quiet with her dog, to calm down and gather her thoughts.
Really!?!,....how loud can a drone actually be past 50 foot high? I wouldn't exactly call the park a place for peace and quiet. She should have probably just stayed in her backyard. Some just can't stand to see someone else enjoying themselves. Drone noise is pretty much nonexistent past 50 ft.

[emoji23][emoji23]

She saw a man with money and began to display .
You were supposed to ask her if she liked Barry White .?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman