DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They wanted to steal my drone

The drone will hover in place when no control input is given, so how about saying something to the effect of "Oh crap, low battery warning, sorry guys it's not going to make it back so I gotta leave to get closer." Then jump in the car and drive away a bit to a spot where you can fly the drone to your new location. That might be a stretch but you avoid confrontation or theft of your equipment and should be able to recover your drone. You'd only run into a problem if they replied "we can follow and help you look for it if it crashes." :oops:

Hi Mick....really sorry to read of your experience and intended action.
Thankfully I have not encountered any such incident or ever been accosted in any setting. All I know is that in ANY given situation - MY health and/or my life (or that of OTHERS) is of far greater value than ANY replaceable item.
Even if you were victorious in self-defence, I would expect that for a middle aged man, this would be a traumatic experience....(win the battle and lose the war).
As a younger man perhaps I would have applied acquired skills of a pugilist even discarding Queensberry rules, but I know that even so, I would look back on that with disdain.
When it comes to the crunch - take one's leave with any bravado left in the drone kitbag (even if the drone is not) and ...walk away with your life in tact!..... just sayin!
I have heard it said...."Getting your drone stuck in a tree isn’t as bad as someone wanting to steal your drone - but it's definitely up there!"
Situations can be complex and age does not indicated how far one has wisely travelled along the highway of life - only how long one has been on it!
Stay safe mate ....from Down Under

Hi Mick....really sorry to read of your experience and intended action.
Thankfully I have not encountered any such incident or ever been accosted in any setting. All I know is that in ANY given situation - MY health and/or my life (or that of OTHERS) is of far greater value than ANY replaceable item.
Even if you were victorious in self-defence, I would expect that for a middle aged man, this would be a traumatic experience....(win the battle and lose the war).
As a younger man perhaps I would have applied acquired skills of a pugilist even discarding Queensberry rules, but I know that even so, I would look back on that with disdain.
When it comes to the crunch - take one's leave with any bravado left in the drone kitbag (even if the drone is not) and ...walk away with your life in tact!..... just sayin!
I have heard it said...."Getting your drone stuck in a tree isn’t as bad as someone wanting to steal your drone - but it's definitely up there!"
Situations can be complex and age does not indicated how far one has wisely travelled along the highway of life - only how long one has been on it!
Stay safe mate ....from Down Under
Hi there , I totally agree with you . At the end of my story I asked if anyone had any suggestions on the best course of action in this situation. The answer came back. . GIVE IT UP it’s not worth life and limb . I hope it never happens to any pilot and hopefully this may make pilots a little bit more vigilant . ? regards.....Mick

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
Going with your gut instinct mick, as you did is the best policy in today's society. Especially around Cities at least. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.
A good tip. Get yourself a heavy duty, chain Dog lead and wear it around your shoulder, bandelo style.
" Hello chaps, I'm just trying to spot where my Bloody Akita has wondered off to, it's always looking for something to kill. You haven't seen it have you?, big sod about 12 stone. It's probably taking the piss and watching us.

Going with your gut instinct mick, as you did is the best policy in today's society. Especially around Cities at least. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.
A good tip. Get yourself a heavy duty, chain Dog lead and wear it around your shoulder, bandelo style.
" Hello chaps, I'm just trying to spot where my Bloody Akita has wondered off to, it's always looking for something to kill. You haven't seen it have you?, big sod about 12 stone. It's probably taking the piss and watching us.
????

LOL....and then have your drone return wearing this!
All laugh nervously....elbow tap ...and take leave.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 4.05.04 pm.png

I have been approached many times and I have had some pleasant conversations with people . These blokes were very shifty and checking there surroundings constantly which is what made me feel uncomfortable . It’s just made me think of how vulnerable we are flying our drones in isolated spots . Regards.......Mick
If it's in your guts to leave you might be better off even if you lose the drone. Depending on your laws, even extra defense carry might get yourself in trouble for defending property. Not worth getting sued or ending up in jail. If I profile someone as a threat and I can move out of harms way I'll do it. I caught the drop on a guy who broke in my home and kept my cool so as not to end up in court( but I did have control of the situation). I let him run and had the police deal with this guy...from my description they knew right where he lived.

Reactions: Mick Tonks
Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .

Help there is some guy flying a mean horrible privacy invading drone. And he’s spraying everyone with red dye. Oh the media would have a field day with that one. LOL.

If it's in your guts to leave you might be better off even if you lose the drone. Depending on your laws, even extra defense carry might get yourself in trouble for defending property. Not worth getting sued or ending up in jail. If I profile someone as a threat and I can move out of harms way I'll do it. I caught the drop on a guy who broke in my home and kept my cool so as not to end up in court( but I did have control of the situation). I let him run and had the police deal with this guy...from my description they knew right where he lived.
Hi there. Thankyou , After having peoples opinions I’m forgetting all about the red dye . I think my best option maybe is investing in a body camcorder and staying clear of any possible aggression. Kindest regards......Mick

This will clear a room and maybe get them away from you.
fart.jpg

Body language says a lot about a person or persons. I think the point everyone is missing here is they very could very well have known how to fly a drone. I would like to believe that it's not possible to be both a avid flyer and a thief, but if that were only true. Although I do believe flying has made me a better person. I agree with the statement that using a weapon or deterrent would only escalate the situation and to flight two people and fly your drone, man that's movie stuff not real life. Nothings more important than you life. Chalk it up to experience and be sure to fly in areas where your life won't be at risk although I know sometimes that's easier said than done.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98