DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They wanted to steal my drone

Mick Tonks

Reactions
Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .

Couldn’t they just have been interested and pointing as ohh look a drone ?
I would hardly ever be able to fly if I got a panic on whenever people approached me, they tend to appear like magic as soon as I lift off.
Did they look particularly threatening in any way to make you think they wanted to steal your drone ?

I would hardly ever be able to fly if I got a panic on whenever people approached me, they tend to appear like magic as soon as I lift off.
Did they look particularly threatening in any way to make you think they wanted to steal your drone ?

I agree with you, we need more info, although I would also say that you can tell a lot from the tone of that first question!

Yes you can but he said he could tell by the way they came up so
me going to watch this as I see an interesting thread in the works.
Not sure why he would need red dye though we full of that.?‍♂️

Reactions: Rchawks
It might be they moved away as they were concerned you were going to attack them with your drone?

The reality here probably is that they were simply genuinely interested in the drone and it’s operation.

Moving the drone away was a good strategy if that was what they were after. The chances of them knowing how to fly it back to recover it were probably slim.

There is a lot to be said for developing a strategy in the event we are accosted when flying. If you think about it, having a controller occupying both hands puts us at an disadvantage at the onset. As for personal opinion, I am dismayed that the laws in most locales make it almost impossible to (legally) defend property, giving perpetrators who would break the law without a care a great advantage.

Hi there Thankyou for your reply .
I have been approached many times and I have had some pleasant conversations with people . These blokes were very shifty and checking there surroundings constantly which is what made me feel uncomfortable . It’s just made me think of how vulnerable we are flying our drones in isolated spots . Regards.......Mick

Yes you can but he said he could tell by the way they came up so
me going to watch this as I see an interesting thread in the works.
Not sure why he would need red dye though we full of that.?‍♂️
Hi there , I purchased the red spray dye as a deterrent , as in if there intention was theft , then the red dye would identify the culprits

Hi there Thankyou for your reply .
I have been approached many times and I have had some pleasant conversations with people . These blokes were very shifty and checking there surroundings constantly which is what made me feel uncomfortable . It’s just made me think of how vulnerable we are flying our drones in isolated spots . Regards.......Mick
Trust your instincts, ...though using the spray might escalate the possibility of violence entering the red zone ?

Hi there , I purchased the red spray dye as a deterrent , as in if there intention was theft , then the red dye would identify the culprits
I knew , I was kidding with you As blood is red and if someone tried
to take mine they would be tracking that. . See I’m to old to run
and not going to. If your going to get off the beaten path to fly have someone with you. Kinda hard to monitor your surroundings and do all we have to watch when flying.

I knew , I was kidding with you As blood is red and if someone tried
to take mine they would be tracking that. . See I’m to old to run
and not going to. If your going to get off the beaten path to fly have someone with you. Kinda hard to monitor your surroundings and do all we have to watch when flying.
Hi there Thankyou for your reply . I wasn’t sure if you new what I was describing. Sometimes I go fly at a moment’s notice , say if there is a beautiful sunset etc , so unfortunately I’m alone anyway , and apart from the forum I don’t know any drone flyers at the moment who I could hook up with . ? Thanks again , regards Mick

Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .
I always tell people that I think are untrustworthy that I have taken their picture and it’s gone to my computer at home at the same time that I an answering their questions about the drone

well if you lived in the USA you could buy yourself an AK47. (LOL). Joking of course.

Flying and talking to complete strangers is difficult. Is it possibly to get theft insurance ? Your safety is more important than any drone , if it gets serious, no shame in just handing it over. Just retired from a very confrontational job, with all the training in the world , you can’t win em all !

If surrounded by potentially aggressive people, the last thing I would do is spray them with red dye! Bit like throwing rocks and sticks at a bear your just asking for trouble!

Moving the drone away was a good strategy if that was what they were after. The chances of them knowing how to fly it back to recover it were probably slim.

There is a lot to be said for developing a strategy in the event we are accosted when flying. If you think about it, having a controller occupying both hands puts us at an disadvantage at the onset. As for personal opinion, I am dismayed that the laws in most locales make it almost impossible to (legally) defend property, giving perpetrators who would break the law without a care a great advantage.
I would set the home point away from you, like at your house(as long as the drone could make it). Then just hit RTH if you have any doubts, and run like H.......

If surrounded by potentially aggressive people, the last thing I would do is spray them with red dye! Bit like throwing rocks and sticks at a bear your just asking for trouble!
Hi there , I hear what you’re saying . I couldn’t let them get away scott free . Plus the warning of being sprayed maybe a deterrent in its self . I hope I never have to use it . Regards......Mick

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan