DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They wanted to steal my drone

I would have done the opposite. Most likely they were just curious but just to be safe I would have hovered real close as they asked questions. While there I would take a bunch of pictures so in case something did happen you have pictures of them on your phone. Then I would probably fly off a ways.

Hi Mick. I think you are right we have to be vigilant, for those that have very little the thought of stealing something that has a fairly high price tag with little or no effort must be tempting and I think you were right in being just a little suspicious especially the way you said they were behaving and I think I would have done the same even living down here in Cornwall. Fly safely.

If they wanted to steal your drone, isn’t the best way to do that is to first steal your controller? Without the controller, what good is the drone anyway? And yes, I agree that once your drone is up in the air, your hands and mental focus are always on the drone. Red dye spray, Kung fu, or light saber swords are not going to happen.

I would have done the opposite. Most likely they were just curious but just to be safe I would have hovered real close as they asked questions. While there I would take a bunch of pictures so in case something did happen you have pictures of them on your phone. Then I would probably fly off a ways.
Hi there , I understand what you’re saying but my phone is part of the remote control so I’d not have a drone or phone either . Regards......Mick?

Don’t not and I repeat DO NOT carry or use the red dye spray you can be done for assault in our crazy UK Laws any obnoxious substance in spray for carry’s the same charges as firing a small arms weapon at the culprit.

The other problem is the person you have just sprayed in the face is not going to be happy and will probably escalate their intentions of violence further.

I’m afraid in our stupid laws a pen knife is classified as an offensive weapon due to the blade being able to puncture skin crazy stupid laws that generally protect the dodgy ones.

If they wanted to steal your drone, isn’t the best way to do that is to first steal your controller? Without the controller, what good is the drone anyway? And yes, I agree that once your drone is up in the air, your hands and mental focus are always on the drone. Red dye spray, Kung fu, or light saber swords are not going to happen.
Hi there , they also may have been after my phone also . Luckily I didn’t get to find out and hopefully never will . ?

Don’t not and I repeat DO NOT carry or use the red dye spray you can be done for assault in our crazy UK Laws any obnoxious substance in spray for carry’s the same charges as firing a small arms weapon at the culprit.

The other problem is the person you have just sprayed in the face is not going to be happy and will probably escalate their intentions of violence further.

I’m afraid in our stupid laws a pen knife is classified as an offensive weapon due to the blade being able to puncture skin crazy stupid laws that generally protect the dodgy ones.
I have read much about your laws over there. Where 1 can not carry anything to protect yourself without getting in trouble. A very sad situation and as a older person myself in the USA I carry deterents to prevent theft or worse. Take care of yourself Mick

Hi there , I totally understand what you’re saying . Maybe on the optimistic side I haven’t read of any other drone pilot on this discussion having the same experience I have had . So hopefully I am an isolated event . I could possibly handcuff myself to the remote control???

Reactions: PURSUER01
I have read much about your laws over there. Where 1 can not carry anything to protect yourself without getting in trouble. A very sad situation and as a older person myself in the USA I carry deterents to prevent theft or worse. Take care of yourself Mick
Thankyou??

Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .
Not a nice position to find yourself in, myself I am disabled so I try to fly my Mavic Air when I have a friend that can come with me, as you said yourself I do just suddenly decide to go fly at a moments notice which then I go out alone. Flying alone does worry me a little, I have registered my Drone with the CAA ( Uk ) as you are meant to but if someone stole it from me they would only have to take flyers ID of the drone & then know one could say it was mine. I worry about being alone due to, two year ago out on my mobility scooter ( playing Pokemon Go ) I was approached by two guys that fancied my phones, as they came closer three other players turned up appearing from behind a building in front of me. The other players that tuned up tried approaching these other guys of which left the area very quickly, I was lucky.

Ps so far the only people that have come over to me while flying have come across to ask question about the drone.

Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .
I would have also told them that it was cool that you could track your drone even if it was turned off so you could never lose it. ( just a small white lie). You handled it perfectly though. Good job!

I would have also told them that it was cool that you could track your drone even if it was turned off so you could never lose it. ( just a small white lie). You handled it perfectly though. Good job!
That’s good, just tell them about the ‘Find My Drone“ feature.

Reactions: Mick Tonks
Not a nice position to find yourself in, myself I am disabled so I try to fly my Mavic Air when I have a friend that can come with me, as you said yourself I do just suddenly decide to go fly at a moments notice which then I go out alone. Flying alone does worry me a little, I have registered my Drone with the CAA ( Uk ) as you are meant to but if someone stole it from me they would only have to take flyers ID of the drone & then know one could say it was mine. I worry about being alone due to, two year ago out on my mobility scooter ( playing Pokemon Go ) I was approached by two guys that fancied my phones, as they came closer three other players turned up appearing from behind a building in front of me. The other players that tuned up tried approaching these other guys of which left the area very quickly, I was lucky.

Ps so far the only people that have come over to me while flying have come across to ask question about the drone.
Hi there Thankyou for your reply
I wasn’t aware of how vulnerable I felt until it happened to me. Like you mentioned , most people are pleasant and have a genuine interest and others are opportunists. I hope this discussion just makes pilots aware that not everybody as good intentions and some people are bad buggers for the fun of it . I’m glad everything turn out okay in your circumstance , and I bet you look over your shoulder more than you did before . Keep safe. Kindest regards....Mick

Hi there, I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam at approximately 7.30 am this morning. I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction. I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying. I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was overpowered, And hopefully, I could try to get myself some help. I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would-be dog walkers. I think the drone's distance put them off as they moved away. As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay. Thanks for any replies. Regards.....Mick.
Here's a good idea, don't think that people who are curious and interested in you flying your drone are there to do you harm. I have people inquire about what I am doing and it gives me a chance to talk about a hobby I enjoy. I could say; cowboy up, yet that might be considered mean, so I won't.

Here's a good idea, don't think that people who are curious and interested in you flying your drone are there to do you harm. I have people inquire about what I am doing and it gives me a chance to talk about a hobby I enjoy. I could say; cowboy up, yet that might be considered mean, so I won't.
Hi there. , you just did ?? All opinions welcome

I think you got some ideas here.

If I am approached I simply runaway as fast as I can and scream loudly.

If they catch me then I’ll just follow the advice here. Spray them with red dye, then tell them they are on my video feed being transmitted to police, then that I’m filming a crime scene, then show them my FAA registration card.

I would then scream and run again and repeat same if they catch me again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne