DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They wanted to steal my drone

The OP of course
In Leeds, criminals don't usually introduce themselves. They don't usually start arguments as in the movies.
" Hey mother fu--er give me your wallet/ drone etc.
Normally they will just take what you have. Retaliate and you'll get the crap kicked out of you, stabbed or shot, without any niceties of give me your, well you know. So Mick was just asking for opinions, to get ideas on what to do. He can now chose his own way to deal with his experience of what happened. I believe he chose well.

Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .

Is this a joke?

Tell them to leave the area now as you're about to green light a drug interdiction team on a hidden grow site
Actually that area is known for it's magic mushrooms. This tickled me. All the bikers from my era knew this. Also the hippies.

I always tell people that I think are untrustworthy that I have taken their picture and it’s gone to my computer at home at the same time that I an answering their questions about the drone
Most people that have no ill intentions at all do not like someone to take their picture without their permission so that is a horrible idea.

Reactions: Ramjam61
I'm lucky that I have broad shoulders, look like Sylvester Stallone. The pooch is an Alaskan Malamute. When I'm wound up I really am not very nice. All life is precious. Best way to preserve life is when it's dead. Only joking, maybe?

I often fly early in the morning (no wind) at a large local park in my city. It's filled with walking paths and woods. That early in the morning there aren't many people around, and I am a sitting duck for anybody who would want to do me harm or steal my drone. Therefore, I always carry a canister of pepper spray in my pocket, and sometimes a folding knife as well ... both perfectly legal. Only once so far did two guys watch me for an uncomfortably long time as they walked by, but my glare back at them let them know I was fully aware of my situation and wasn't about to be taken by surprise. They kept moving.

Actually that area is known for it's magic mushrooms. This tickled me. All the bikers from my era knew this. Also the hippies.

if you're wearing a jacket, unzip the front to give you access to ....your SMG in your shoulder holster. make your move deliberate and let their imagination fill it in. then, hold fingertips against your left ear and quietly mumble "copy that....stand by..." and resume your attentive gaze to the suspects.

Reactions: Shawn Paul
if you're wearing a jacket, unzip the front to give you access to ....your SMG in your shoulder holster. make your move deliberate and let their imagination fill it in. then, hold fingertips against your left ear and quietly mumble "copy that....stand by..." and resume your attentive gaze to the suspects.
Even better than my Covid remark!

Reactions: Mick Tonks
I often fly early in the morning (no wind) at a large local park in my city. It's filled with walking paths and woods. That early in the morning there aren't many people around, and I am a sitting duck for anybody who would want to do me harm or steal my drone. Therefore, I always carry a canister of pepper spray in my pocket, and sometimes a folding knife as well ... both perfectly legal. Only once so far did two guys watch me for an uncomfortably long time as they walked by, but my glare back at them let them know I was fully aware of my situation and wasn't about to be taken by surprise. They kept moving.
Unfortunately in our country, you have to have a reason for carrying. I Sea Kayak, so can carry a rescue knife. However nature provides. Leading someone towards a bramble patch, so you can use it as a weapon is perfectly legal and just as deadly.

Reactions: Mick Tonks
I fly up to Max range, survey the area I am flying in for people in the area. Being in the Chicago area, and also in the suburbs crime is increasing, you can be over powered very easy. Being I am older, that does not matter, makes me a easy target. So, I try to use some common sense to access the area, having the advantage to see blocks away from 400 feet. And, having the ability to Zoom in for a closer look, also having a copilot with me, to help watch the drone. I also try to find a area to launch from that hides me from on lookers.. And, have VLOS of my bird, anyway that is just my approach, don't want to grand stand, showing off..

When alone in and exposed environment, I wear my Glock 17 on my belt. One advantage of living in Texas :cool:
I feel for the OP. Not many options. I was thinking of getting one of those bright orange/yellow FAA UAV Pilot type vests. It gives the appearance of being on the job rather than recreational flying. As mentioned before, setting another home point is a good idea. I'd also like to add that by just letting it hover in place keeps your hands and mind somewhat free.
Also, one finger over the power button of the remote. A quick shut-down would initiate RTH and it'd take awhile to get a connection again. Chances are, once the MM gets low enough you'd loose connection anyhow.

To vaderbloke: Dang King Kong. You got the big one! God bless the Lone Star state (tear in eye). I conceal carry a CZ p10s when I'm out.
Two against one is what they call "a disparity of force" which, if things get violent is easier to defend than a $400 theft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000