DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wet Suits, are they safe for your drone?

Herongate

Reactions
Hello,
I recently purchased a mini 4 pro (my first drone), and I see that there are wet suits that I could put on the drone to be able to fly in the rain, and the snow (I guess). I am conscious that the wet suit would put the weight above 250 g and that is ok because I intend to get the Drone Basic Certificate very soon. It would be great to be able to fly sometimes when there is light rain or just a few specs of snow. My question is : are these wet suits safe for the drone? I see that they cover the body but what about the motor below the propellers (I hope I have the right terminology)? Isn't there some area that would be exposed to the elements (like the orange (copper) colour rotors that are below the propellers? What happens if they get wet, since the wet suit doesn't cover them?

Last edited:
I am not going to get into the merits of the Wetsuit, but even if you get your Basic Pilot's licence and you add the wetsuit to your Mini 4 you will be restricted in where you can fly as the wetsuit will put the Mini 4 above 250g. Here in Canada the rules significantly change once you are in the >250g category. That is why so many people are drawn to the sub 250g drones. There are rules that you have to follow but basically it's don't be stupid and don't put manned flight in danger. Here's a good article on the subject.

FWIW, I have been caught in a snow squall with my Mini 3 Pro where I could barely see it on its way back home because of all the snow and it has been fine ever since - that was over a year ago. As long as you are not flying in wet snow your Mini 4 should be fine - just make sure you brush any snow off before you put it away. With regard to flying in the rain, I have also done that too (unintentionally) and haven't had any ill effects. I worry more about my controller as it is usually in my hands just getting wet from the rain.

My question to you would be - Why restrict yourself and your flying opportunities by adding weight to your Mini 4? I do think it is a good idea to take the Pilot exam because the knowledge and information is useful and if you do buy an extended battery or a larger drone later you will already have your licence.

Chris

Last edited:
There's nothing you can really do about the motors they need to vent. But as far as Waterproofing your Drone I think the best option is a wet suit (PhantomRain has nice suits) - It will add weight BUT its a tradeoff Do you wanna fly when its wet or stay home. Anytime you throw a battery into your drone in even a sprinkle there is a risk of water getting in and shorting something. I Don't take MY toys out in the rain or for awhile after.
There are other ways of waterproofing your drone- If you don't mind pulling your drone completely apart and applying proofing gel to every part of the electronics. BUT My guess is you don't wanna do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herongate
Hello,
I recently purchased a mini 4 pro (my first drone), and I see that there are wet suits that I could put on the drone to be able to fly in the rain, and the snow (I guess). I am conscious that the wet suit would put the weight above 250 g and that is ok because I intend to get the Drone Basic Certificate very soon. It would be great to be able to fly sometimes when there is light rain or just a few specs of snow. My question is : are these wet suits safe for the drone? I see that they cover the body but what about the motor below the propellers (I hope I have the right terminology)? Isn't there some area that would be exposed to the elements (like the orange (copper) colour rotors that are below the propellers? What happens if they get wet, since the wet suit doesn't cover them?
I've flown my M2P in light rain many times, nude. Never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky.

If losing the drone means your family can't eat, well don't do that. If it's just a hobby toy, like it is to me, go for it.

I've flown my M2P in light rain many times, nude. Never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky.

If losing the drone means your family can't eat, well don't do that. If it's just a hobby toy, like it is to me, go for it.
Thank you @passedpawn . good to know that your drone survived the rain. My family will still eat if I lose my drone but it took me a while to save for my drone and I can’t throw that kind of money out the window.

I'm sure it would help, although it would put you slightly above the 250G weight limit. In case of a water landing (crash) you could recover the body.

Reactions: PHZ
Hello,
The motors are Aluminum brush Less and there the same motors used on the Rc Subs so the motors have never been an issueon any of the DJI Drones. The problem with the Mini 3 and Mini 4 drones is open gimbal vent in back of the camera .

These open vents taking in water will cause the Sensors to all burn out instantly withing 30 seconds which is why we deemed the Wet Suit so mandatory for getting caught in the rain as none of the other drones are as weak in the rain.

With that said the Wet Suit for the Mini 4 is 254 Grams.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

The motors are Aluminum brush Less and there the same motors used on the Rc Subs so the motors have never been an issueon any of the DJI Drones. The problem with the Mini 3 and Mini 4 drones is open gimbal vent in back of the camera .

These open vents taking in water will cause the Sensors to all burn out instantly withing 30 seconds which is why we deemed the Wet Suit so mandatory for getting caught in the rain as none of the other drones are as weak in the rain.

Phantomrain.org
@Phantomrain.org Thanks for the info about the mini3 and mini4 limitations related the the open gimbal vent. Good point. I just got my Pilot Certificate yesterday so I could fly with the wet suit in terms of the drone weighing more than 250 g.
I had thought that I could just put the wet suit on when I needed it so that I could have a sub 250g drone most of the time, but I think that it is not something you take on and off easily. Is that correct?

Reactions: Cafguy
Sorry but I gotta ask about the 250G crap "whos gonna weigh it"
The D.E.S.- Drone Enforcement Squad ! lol
You bring up a good point For all of our "hey watch this" and "make sure you have that" The fact is the FAA has no employee's scurrying about the country checking for drone violations. The law is the law though and while I myself am mystified as to how they decided that 250g is a safe limit (as apposed to say 275g) They chose that number and we now have to live with it. Weather you choose to comply exactly to the letter of the law is up to you. I will however say that "skirting" the already intrusive laws that have been imposed on us will only lead to more restriction IMO
Sorry I will now stay on topic.

Last edited:
Mini4 pro.
If flying out and away and it starts to rain or snow. Would it be an advantage to fly back home in reverse? Especially since I just read the Gimble is a weak spot.
or would that be worse since it’s against the norm and maybe wet the rear slots and venting?

Hello,
Have you ever put your drone on the table and proceeded with a long firmware update , We'll If you notice the drone fan internal fan turns on trying to cool off the electronic. that's for a good reason. The fan exhausts the hot air due to the battery heating up the electronics through the exhaust ports in the drone frame. You have air input ports and exhaust ports For that reason.

Now put on this wet suit "that blocks all the ports " to keep water from going in , that turns the drone into a Convection oven that Overheat the electronics and the battery. This would probably be okay and freezing and below freezing weather.
Other than that you're An accident waiting to happen. In my opinion.

The only time anyone will want to know the weight of your drone is if it is involved in an accident or collision that requires an investigation.
I highly doubt any of us will ever be approached while flying and asked to land our drone for a weight check...lol.

Phantomrain.org

Again, I'll ask for examples of sensor "burn out" failures on the Mini 3 and 4. No one else seems to have seen that wolf.

How does your product protect the sensors from rain without blocking their function?

I see openings behind the gimbal on the Mini, Air 2S, and Mavic 3 Pro as well as the Mini 3 and 4. The air vents are designed for cooling interior components. Does your product cover those openings? How can you cover them without creating a heat problem?

Crap huh? I see you have no concern about regulations what-so-ever so why even bother asking such a question?

If there is an incident and the FAA gets involved, there MIGHT be a instance of evaluating the weight and so forth. Odds are 99.99% will never need to get the UAS weighed for INFORCEMENT and it's no big deal... for that dismally small amount who will have it weighed, it's a VERY BIG DEAL!

Just like any other Rule, Law, Regulation on the books, it's NOT important until you're on the receiving end of the Enforcement Stick!
The D.E.S.- Drone Enforcement Squad ! lol
You bring up a good point For all of our "hey watch this" and "make sure you have that" The fact is the FAA has no employee's scurrying about the country checking for drone violations. T.........

Actually the FAA does have employees "out in the field" looking for violations more or less. Since we don't typically "congregate" like manned aircraft do (at an airport), the Ramp Check becomes much more random unless there are complaints or there is an INCIDENT. There are several documented instances lately of UAS operators being "approached" by FAA employees around the nation while flying recreationally and commercially. They asked a few questions, had back-n-forth banter, and went on their way.

For anyone reading this, keep in mind that the FAA isn't "trying to bust you and fine you". Their mission is to teach/enhance Aviation Safety first and foremost. Most FAA interactions are indeed a Learning Experience and an opportunity to grow as a Moral and Legal UAS Operator.

Last edited:
Here in Canada the rules significantly change once you are in the >250g category. That is why so many people are drawn to the sub 250g drones.
This is why my Mini 3 Pro has as many hours in less than two years as my Phantom 4 and Mavic 2 Pro got in the preceding five years, combined. The ability to fly in places that previously required an advanced certificate (I have basic) and a SFOC made a huge difference. I can now head out and fly when I feel like it, while previously I had to drive at least an hour to reach somewhere suitable.

If you live somewhere away from airports/heliports and where you can easily remain 30 m away from people this may make no difference to you, but in southern Ontario a lot of places are verbotten if you fly a 250+ drone with a basic sRPAS certificate.

I always consult B4UFly AND UAV Forecast ...B4UFLY does not always let you know if an area is off limits) Like a National Park)....but UAV Forecast lets you know with great accuracy if precipitation ( among other information) is expected...more accurate than the weather girl

Reactions: Cafguy
@Phantomrain.org Thanks for the info about the mini3 and mini4 limitations related the the open gimbal vent. Good point. I just got my Pilot Certificate yesterday so I could fly with the wet suit in terms of the drone weighing more than 250 g.
I had thought that I could just put the wet suit on when I needed it so that I could have a sub 250g drone most of the time, but I think that it is not something you take on and off easily. Is that correct?
Yes it is meant to stay on at all time, my recommendation is just fly with the Important parts of the Wet suit keeping you under the 250 g . These parts will keep the battery and the gimbal protected , giving you some much needed protection where it is needed most the battery and the gimbal.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N